Allison 6sp: Important 2015.5+ Allison info

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I figured I would start a new thread devoted to the new 2015.5+ Allison TCM just to give everyone a heads up on the details.

Mid-year 2015, roughly after August 2014 build date, GM/Allison made some changes to the transmission wiring harness, changed to a new TCM, and new speed sensors.

The speed sensors changed from the traditional AC 'analog' variable-reluctance type (IE, the type that has been around for 30 years) to newer DC hall-effect sensors that produce digital (square wave) signals. DC/hall-effect sensors are more accurate, less susceptible to signal noise/interference.

And from an electrical/technical standpoint, its also possible with DC sensors for the TCM's to run more advanced diagnostics on the circuit and sensor...which gives more precise information to the scan tool when there is a fault, thus making it easier for technicians to diagnose problems. Yaddyaaddyaydaaa blah blah blah....

If you have a 2015 truck, look at your glovebox RPO sticker... if you see the code "AVF", that means your truck is a late-build 2015, and has the new DC speed sensors and new TCM.

The TCM on 2015.5+ trucks with "AVF" RPO code is completely different. The 2015.5/AVF trucks no longer use an Allison A40/A50/T14 controller. They now use the GM T87 controller. It looks completely different, has a different connector, and is made by Hitachi. Its the same TCM that the 8-speed 8L90 in the new Corvette and 6.2 half ton Silverados has.

So now the Corvette (w/ 8-speed auto), 2015+ half ton silverado (w/ 8-speed auto), and 2015.5+ Silverado HD (w/ Allison and AVF code) all share the same new T87 controller.

And no, you cant swap to the older 2006-2015 Allison A40/A50/T14 TCM because the connector on the 2015.5+ T87 is completely different and the digital speed sensors are incompatible with the older A40/A50/T14 TCM.

Ben

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Actually, I wonder if this won't end up being a good thing? It seems that EFILive has always supported the GM transmission computers / operating systems far better than they did with the Allison.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Actually, I wonder if this won't end up being a good thing? It seems that EFILive has always supported the GM transmission computers / operating systems far better than they did with the Allison.

My thinking as well.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Wonder how the shifting will be? I ASSume the new tcm will be running GMs algorithms and no longer using allisons.

Not to nitpick, but the 6L series transmissions don't shift anywhere near the smoothness of the ally. Not sure on the 8L as I have never rode in one.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
This makes me wonder if the tfp switch manifold has been deleted as in most other modules, and the tcm is diagnosing clutch slip or shift valve train issues using calculated gear ration now. The other gm transmission with a digital speed sensor have went to that strategy.
It makes diagnostics a bit harder because you can no longer see the button being pressed when a valve is stroked in the bore.
It does save gm about 150$ per unit though.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I have a few buddies with 15.5's they are all complaining about vibration in the drivetrain. Anybody else heard anything about this, did GM change anything else bc mine is smooth as silk and it's a early 15...

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I have a few buddies with 15.5's they are all complaining about vibration in the drivetrain. Anybody else heard anything about this, did GM change anything else bc mine is smooth as silk and it's a early 15...

I have done 5 15.5 Allison and have not experienced any vibration. Wonder if your buddies aren't mistaking the vibration with the lane sensor feedback?

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
I have done 5 15.5 Allison and have not experienced any vibration. Wonder if your buddies aren't mistaking the vibration with the lane sensor feedback?

TURTLES???? :eek: Mike sometimes it is hard to tell if you are being technical or funny. I guess that comes with the wolf in sheep's clothing thing :mikelsheep:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
TURTLES???? :eek: Mike sometimes it is hard to tell if you are being technical or funny. I guess that comes with the wolf in sheep's clothing thing :mikelsheep:

I'm being serious here. Go drive one and see what happens when you get too close to the yellow line.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Seriously they have lane sensors? that's annoying as shit can they be shut off?

UGH yes of course you can turn it off. RELAX. :rolleyes:

Dont be too quick to judge and shit on this technology. Next time you doze off on a long drive, it just might make it so you get to your destination in one piece. More than once ive been snapped awake because I closed my eyes for 2 seconds and hit the rumble strip. Not all highways have rumble strips though.................

Oh and the dumb soccer mom in her Suburban who is trying to feed apple sauce to the kids in the back while driving, and accidentally drifts into your lane as you're overtaking her hauling a 30' trailer...oh wow gee whiz, another accident avoided, thanks lane-departure warning.

Would you want to fly on an airliner that doesnt have TCAS or GPWS?

And as a side benefit, lane-departure warning will actually force idiots to start using their blinkers too...because it will chime at them if you change lanes without signaling.

In 20 years all you stubborn old farts are going to look back on this and say "wow...why didnt we think of this sooner?". :D :p:

Volvo made a public statement back in 2010 that by the year 2020, no one would be killed in a new Volvo. Lane-departure warning is one of the many "dumb technologies" that will allow them to reach that goal. :cool:

Ben

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
So rather then teach people to drive and pay ****in attention to the road we build the cars to do it for us an make us lazy...... this is where I disagree with you on a lot of things Ben some technology is nice to incorporate yes. But if I don't want to use my blinker when I'm the only one on the road I don't want to get any shit from my truck about it. Also I don't drive when I'm so tired I doze off I regularly drive 12+ hours though and I will say I do ride the white line at times :rolleyes: guess our wife's will like this new technology 60k dildos:rofl:

Also airplane comparison isn't a good one we fly our Mooney with just vor and adf so lol oh and a compass ha ha not a airline but they used to do it that to and did just fine

Last edited:

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
So rather then teach people to drive and pay ****in attention to the road we build the cars to do it for us an make us lazy...... this is where I disagree with you on a lot of things Ben some technology is nice to incorporate yes. But if I don't want to use my blinker when I'm the only one on the road I don't want to get any shit from my truck about it. Also I don't drive when I'm so tired I doze off I regularly drive 12+ hours though and I will say I do ride the white line at times :rolleyes: guess our wife's will like this new technology 60k dildos:rofl:

Also airplane comparison isn't a good one we fly our Mooney with just vor and adf so lol oh and a compass ha ha not a airline but they used to do it that to and did just fine

I agree partly, its like how backup cameras make it to now these shitty drivers dont ever uses their mirrors anymore.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
So rather then teach people to drive and pay ****in attention to the road we build the cars to do it for us an make us lazy......

Well ya know what, the reality of the situation is that there are always going to be bad drivers out there. I agree with this sentiment ("we shouldnt need to rely on technology, we should just be better drivers"), but I also disagree with it...heres why. No one is a perfect driver (or at least as good as you), so we gotta work with what we have. If a piece of technology can stop someone from veering into my lane and causing an accident, whether or not the driver in question sucks, fell asleep, or whatever...IDGAF. The reality of the situation is, the technology averted the accident. Thats what matters.

Is it dumb that we need to rely on technology to keep the bad drivers safe? Yeah sure, I guess, but again, some people just suck....and theres no changing that. Its not like we can screen out the shitty drivers and say "ok...you're fine...you're fine...no, you're not fine, hand over your license", so the best we can do is give the idiots a helmet and electronic training wheels...so be it. If thats what it takes to lower accident rates, than who cares!

Yes good luck with using your ADF and VOR (those exist still? I thought VOR stations were just funny dunce-cap looking things that the FAA left standing for aerial visual comic-relief, surely no one actually uses them anymore?) for any real navigating on January 1st 2020. Since you're a pilot you know what I mean by that.

And do you have any idea what the statistics are of CFIT accidents before the mid-70's (when GPWS was mandated on part-121 aircraft) and after the mid-70's? CFIT accidents dropped from a surprisingly-scarily-common occurrence to basically NONE after ground-prox was mandated.

TONSSSS of 20,000+ hour ATP-rated pilots have flown perfectly good-working non-GPWS-equipped airplanes right into the ground. And thats with TWO pilots checking eachothers work!! They still managed to do it! People make mistakes, people are dumb. :rofl:

Ben

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
More traffic on the roads, less attention to teaching basic defensive driving strategies in the first place, far more distractions while driving and newer cars having to be made safer with lighter materials is really what's driving these extra safety options.

Just wait til cars begin to drive themselves. Its coming, probably in my lifetime. (unless I die in the next couple years)

Ben, calm down. Some of us would rather depend on our skills instead of needing a machine to do it for us. Nothing wrong with either decision.