Allison 6sp: Important 2015.5+ Allison info

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I agree partly, its like how backup cameras make it to now these shitty drivers dont ever uses their mirrors anymore.

For backing up, rear view mirrors paint a pathetic picture of what is actually behind you. With a rear view camera, you actually get a full 180* view with zero blind spots.....

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Just wait til cars begin to drive themselves. Its coming, probably in my lifetime.

Under 5 years.

Ben, calm down. Some of us would rather depend on our skills instead of needing a machine to do it for us.

Again, not everyone is as AMAZING a driver as we all are here on Duramax Diesels. We cant keep the idiots from driving or take their license away, so give them all the help they can get!

You guys still arent getting it through your heads that everyone makes mistakes, sooner or later. And when/if you make that one mistake in your entire lifetime driving career, you'll be glad you had something else assisting you.

And if you never make mistakes when you're driving, and die at age 90 with a perfect record, than good for you. Congratulations. You've done something that no one else in the world has ever done.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Under 5 years.

Again, not everyone is as AMAZING a driver as we all are here on Duramax Diesels. We cant keep the idiots from driving or take their license away, so give them all the help they can get!

You guys still arent getting it through your heads that everyone makes mistakes, sooner or later. And when/if you make that one mistake in your entire lifetime driving career, you'll be glad you had something else assisting you.

And if you never make mistakes when you're driving, and die at age 90 with a perfect record, than good for you. Congratulations. You've done something that no one else in the world has ever done.

I am FULLY aware just how many mistakes I and other drivers make on a given day. I also never said I (or anyone else) is "perfect", either. When people ask me about driving a UPS truck for 28 years safely (out of 30 -- damn backing issues ;)), I always say that luck plays more into it than skill.
But you failed to understand my post.....some of us simply dont want to use it, whether its a comfort thing or simply due to our skills. Now, if it helps us get out of one situation (b/c hey, we arent perfect) then great -- it worked as it should! :thumb:

BTW, to get this thread back on track (unless Staff decides to split off the driving discussion into a separate thread), do you think EFI Live will end up supporting this hardware, and based on the other GM TCMs you know about, will these new TCMs be easier or more difficult to tune/use?

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
There are cars that already drive themselves on certain roads. We test drive a Hyundai Sonota that would completely drive itself down a busy road in Louisville. Pretty wild really

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
For backing up, rear view mirrors paint a pathetic picture of what is actually behind you. With a rear view camera, you actually get a full 180* view with zero blind spots.....

Its not what is behind them that idiot drivers run over its what's beside them and around them that gets them in trouble. You have 3 mirrors that show you everything you need to see why do people need a backup camera.

Now I won't clutter up anymore of your thread, sorry

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Your mirrors must have magic powers then...because there's a solid 6' x 5' area behind my truck that I can't see with my mirrors alone. And id be lying if I said hooking up a trailer wasn't easier with a backup camera. So I like things that make my life easier and I'm lazy, so sue me. :D

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.

Is it dumb that we need to rely on technology to keep the bad drivers safe? Yeah sure, I guess, but again, some people just suck....and theres no changing that. Its not like we can screen out the shitty drivers and say "ok...you're fine...you're fine...no, you're not fine, hand over your license", .....
Ben

Actually, yes they can and do. And should more often.

I don't get why every time there is a tech advance to vehicles you jump on the bandwagon saying they are the best thing ever and we are all dumb for not liking it. Especially when this shit has barely even hit the pavement so nobody really knows if or how well it will work.

Like the DEF thing a few years ago that you jumped up and down and said it was awesome and best thing ever and nobody should need to ever delete it.

Well guess what, probably one of the top warranty jobs that go through the dealers in my area for the big 3 diesel trucks is emissions related. Namely the DEF system. Also it's one of the first mods owners that have these vehicles perform because bottom line the fuel economy sucks, they are very expensive to fix, and plain don't work worth a damn in climates where temps drop below -20°C regularly.

All I'm saying is that we need to do less babysitting and hand holding and stop buying into that BS on the whole. We need to go back to training, educating and getting people to start being responsible for their actions. Not trying to protect them from themselves. That's natures job to weed out the idiots.

Unless you want to live in a world like on that spaceship in the movie Wall-E.

Last edited:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
One of my biggest problem with driving as a whole, considering how dangerous it can be, how many people do it, etc. is that you only take your drivers test once. You never get re-tested until you are very old. In my industry every 3 years I am required to take MULTIPLE safety courses that require testing to pass. Hell even pilots have to do re-ups on their certifications periodically. It's a good practice and good for refreshing the memory also.

IMO it should be mandatory every 10 years or so to prove you are still capable of safely operating a motor vehicle and do not require something like glasses which maybe you didn't before, or you didn't develop a medical condition that impedes or impairs your ability to safely operate a motor vehicle. You may not be aware something is wrong. Hell if a woman can find out she's pregnant only an hour before she goes into labour and squeezes out a 10lb kid there is no stopping how oblivious some people can be to medical conditions. Plus it might help people keep their bad habits in check that develop over the course of time. Lord knows I have a few that probably I could curb.

Last edited:

RitzBlitz

May 20, 2010
Ritzville, Wa
Its not what is behind them that idiot drivers run over its what's beside them and around them that gets them in trouble. You have 3 mirrors that show you everything you need to see why do people need a backup camera.

Now I won't clutter up anymore of your thread, sorry

If I never have to hear another story about a child being backed over in a driveway because even the combination of the three mirrors failed to show what was immediately to the rear of the vehicle, I will be happy that cameras have done their job.

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I like my back up camera. I have mine in the rearview mirror instead of the head unit. Itakes no sense to be starring at the dash while backing up. It is nice backing up to trailers too. Don't have to worry about hitting my plastic on the bumper

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
Well ya know what, the reality of the situation is that there are always going to be bad drivers out there. I agree with this sentiment ("we shouldnt need to rely on technology, we should just be better drivers"), but I also disagree with it...heres why. No one is a perfect driver (or at least as good as you), so we gotta work with what we have. If a piece of technology can stop someone from veering into my lane and causing an accident, whether or not the driver in question sucks, fell asleep, or whatever...IDGAF. The reality of the situation is, the technology averted the accident. Thats what matters.

Is it dumb that we need to rely on technology to keep the bad drivers safe? Yeah sure, I guess, but again, some people just suck....and theres no changing that. Its not like we can screen out the shitty drivers and say "ok...you're fine...you're fine...no, you're not fine, hand over your license", so the best we can do is give the idiots a helmet and electronic training wheels...so be it. If thats what it takes to lower accident rates, than who cares!

Yes good luck with using your ADF and VOR (those exist still? I thought VOR stations were just funny dunce-cap looking things that the FAA left standing for aerial visual comic-relief, surely no one actually uses them anymore?) for any real navigating on January 1st 2020. Since you're a pilot you know what I mean by that.

And do you have any idea what the statistics are of CFIT accidents before the mid-70's (when GPWS was mandated on part-121 aircraft) and after the mid-70's? CFIT accidents dropped from a surprisingly-scarily-common occurrence to basically NONE after ground-prox was mandated.

TONSSSS of 20,000+ hour ATP-rated pilots have flown perfectly good-working non-GPWS-equipped airplanes right into the ground. And thats with TWO pilots checking eachothers work!! They still managed to do it! People make mistakes, people are dumb. :rofl:

Ben

come over to blackfoot my friend we'll take you up in the plane somewhere vor is still very used and I mean very is that stuff they have in airliners and brand new airplanes nice yes it is very nice. But Look out the window once in awhile lol idiots run perfectly working planes into the ground.

It's a babysitting service that's not needed but like I said some things are nice back up cameras are sweet for hooking to trailers :D but I don't like half the new junk that comes out I'm getting to partial to old school stuff but I'm not perfect either by no means I've never cause a wreck knock on wood but I've been in a couple bad ones.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I have done 5 15.5 Allison and have not experienced any vibration. Wonder if your buddies aren't mistaking the vibration with the lane sensor feedback?

Lol...

I sure hope they know better than that. Haha. I have heard of issues with the new tcms in 1500 with the 8l90e and was wondering if they coukd have followed the tcm into the allison. Get on gmtrucks, there are guys burning up tc from tcms and getting other wierd vibrations...

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
Under 5 years.

I have a man crush on Ben.... true story.

Good luck flying your plane and landing with zero visibility without technological advancements.... have fun flying yourself straight into the ground hoping you're correct.

It's like the people that think their floor shift 4wd is so much more reliable than a push button shift. The front still has an electronically actuated movement that pushing the shifter forward or reverse could never do.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Well now, not to nitpick, but the OLD trucks front diff was always engaged, therefore the lever on the floorboard was all that's needed.

Secondly, I'm all for technology! But you and Ben are missing the point these guys are making all together. The airplane comparison is really stupid btw. Not even close. That's as ridiculous as making a marine comparison. The point is, it's more shit making the vehicles more exspensive, more shit to break, more annoying lights to look at, etc. You still are relying on a persons REACTION time, so now they get a little advanced warning, the wreck I saw yesterday it wouldn't have done shit! Vehicle crossed the median and hit head on, we are talking less than a sec between median cross and impact.

Pay attention to what you are doing, don't be an idiot. All this tech makes people complacent and too relaxed!

YES it is "neat" and "cool" but don't blind yourself to the REAL problem.

EDIT: this isnt a personal attack or directed towards any poster, just a general statement that while tech is cool and can make life easier, it also makes people reliant and not use their sensory apparatus (eyes, ears, even feel). We need more alert drivers, not more people fiddling around with something thinking oh my seat will buzz if I get to close to the yellow line. So don't get your panties in a wad!

Last edited:

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Lane departure warning...its called turn your freakin head and look. People are so lazy and stupid. Rumble seats when you cross the line? Gimme a break. Its making people worse at driving. And i can talk shit, 18 years driving, 13 with a CDL and 1 accident that wasnt my fault. I drive here to tampa straight through and never fall asleep. I think we need more driver training and make it way harder for people to drive.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Well now, not to nitpick, but the OLD trucks front diff was always engaged, therefore the lever on the floorboard was all that's needed.

Secondly, I'm all for technology! But you and Ben are missing the point these guys are making all together. The airplane comparison is really stupid btw. Not even close. That's as ridiculous as making a marine comparison. The point is, it's more shit making the vehicles more exspensive, more shit to break, more annoying lights to look at, etc. You still are relying on a persons REACTION time, so now they get a little advanced warning, the wreck I saw yesterday it wouldn't have done shit! Vehicle crossed the median and hit head on, we are talking less than a sec between median cross and impact.

Pay attention to what you are doing, don't be an idiot. All this tech makes people complacent and too relaxed!

YES it is "neat" and "cool" but don't blind yourself to the REAL problem.

EDIT: this isnt a personal attack or directed towards any poster, just a general statement that while tech is cool and can make life easier, it also makes people reliant and not use their sensory apparatus (eyes, ears, even feel). We need more alert drivers, not more people fiddling around with something thinking oh my seat will buzz if I get to close to the yellow line. So don't get your panties in a wad!

Exactly!!:thumb:

Lane departure warning...its called turn your freakin head and look. People are so lazy and stupid. Rumble seats when you cross the line? Gimme a break. Its making people worse at driving. And i can talk shit, 18 years driving, 13 with a CDL and 1 accident that wasnt my fault. I drive here to tampa straight through and never fall asleep. I think we need more driver training and make it way harder for people to drive.
Again exactly the point I was making!:thumb:
My question is I wonder what the rumble seat does on hard packed icy roads where it can't find the line to begin with? My guess would be it does nothing but be interesting to see. Hopefully engineers thought of this. Might get a nice massage for a lot of miles around here if it never shuts off!!:rofl:

wrcknkrw

Feb 21, 2008
roy ut
All I'm saying is that we need to do less babysitting and hand holding and stop buying into that BS on the whole. We need to go back to training, educating and getting people to start being responsible for their actions. Not trying to protect them from themselves. That's natures job to weed out the idiots.

Unless you want to live in a world like on that spaceship in the movie Wall-E.

Well said. I agree completely.

It's like the people that think their floor shift 4wd is so much more reliable than a push button shift. The front still has an electronically actuated movement that pushing the shifter forward or reverse could never do.

It still is more reliable. Yes it does have the actuator on the axle but it gets rid of the switch, computer and motor on the transfer case. Quite a few less things to go wrong, especially the motor on the case. I get people at my work quite often needing one replaced.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
I have a man crush on Ben.... true story.

Good luck flying your plane and landing with zero visibility without technological advancements.... have fun flying yourself straight into the ground hoping you're correct.

You know we don't fly in storms that bad we use common sense which you are missing as our point in this discussion so again the airplane argument is stupid get over it. Commercial airlines don't land or take off in zero visibility either.... stay in the automotive world.

I agree with Chris and wolf 100%

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The inner forks and guides are more likely to go before the encoder motor. I do want to add a switch on my front actuator so I can use 2lo when backing my trailer in.

Btw, you could go completely old school, lock that front actuator up and now you have nothing electronic for 4wd on a floor shift but the front dshaft will turn 100% of the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk