I got Ripped Off! I need your Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goad

Feb 29, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
So they are telling me thats what I paid for....if I install it and it has any knocking/smoking/etc they will warranty the motor....but they dont grade motors based on cosmetic appearance. They said I can ship it back (on my dime) and pay a 20% restocking fee ($720). They are sending me the VIN now to prove that its a 80,000 mile motor.

I called back to the NY company and pleaded with them to give me the VIN off the truck this motor came out of. They are going to look into it and give me a call back.

Should I run it or return it?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
So they are telling me thats what I paid for....if I install it and it has any knocking/smoking/etc they will warranty the motor....but they dont grade motors based on cosmetic appearance. They said I can ship it back (on my dime) and pay a 20% restocking fee ($720). They are sending me the VIN now to prove that its a 80,000 mile motor.

I called back to the NY company and pleaded with them to give me the VIN off the truck this motor came out of. They are going to look into it and give me a call back.

Should I run it or return it?

For what you paid you could darn near do a stock rebuild on your engine and be in a much better place IF you do the assembly yourself, plus you would know what you're starting with. Starting with a compression test may not be a bad idea on the used motor to help determine its health.

ChrisPerry

Apr 4, 2016
Ventura, CA
Personally I would challenge the deep rust pitting as being structural. You will break every bolt you ever need to get off. The cost of any repair needed after install will be horrible.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Do you have anything in writing from the company you bought the motor from stating that the motor was coming from a truck in their yard in Florida? If you do and you paid with a credit card, I would initiate a dispute with your credit card company. Even if you don't have anything in writing, I would talk with your CC company either way.

Goad

Feb 29, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
Yeah, I got nothing in writing. The only thing I have that is solid is the quote that states 80k miles and the reference number matches the reference number on the receipt.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
consistency between each cylinder is more ideal. then I would hope for anything mid 300s or above

Goad

Feb 29, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
Personally I would challenge the deep rust pitting as being structural. You will break every bolt you ever need to get off. The cost of any repair needed after install will be horrible.

This right here couldnt be further from the truth.

I went to pull the glow plugs out and 3 of them had the nuts break away from the shaft...and the shafts are completely rusted into the head.

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
Unfortunately this is what most LB7’s look like in Minnesota because of the salt used on the roads in the winter and people don’t wash the engines off very often or at all...

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
I work at a salvage yard and don't even offer to sell engines on here. We have tons of lb7's, lmm's and lly's. The lmm's are usually van engines but anyways. We got alot of kick backs for the engine being to rusty except we are from upstate ny. I totally understand why your upset.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Do you have anything in writing from the company you bought the motor from stating that the motor was coming from a truck in their yard in Florida? If you do and you paid with a credit card, I would initiate a dispute with your credit card company. Even if you don't have anything in writing, I would talk with your CC company either way.

With our salvage yard, this has worked Evey time against our sales. Which like I said before, someone buying and engine from New York and it's going to Texas. We gladly refunded there money. Definitely open the dispute.

Goad

Feb 29, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
With our salvage yard, this has worked Evey time against our sales. Which like I said before, someone buying and engine from New York and it's going to Texas. We gladly refunded there money. Definitely open the dispute.

Thanks for this info....unfortunately, the guy behind the phone I am dealing with is in Florida....Motor came from NY and I am in Vegas. He doesn't give a shit, and the NY company is being really tight lipped.

I sent pictures of the rusted in glow plugs... Hopefully they start to understand how bad of condition this motor is in.

Goad

Feb 29, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
The FL company emailed me back. They sent the pictures of the glow plugs rusted into the heads to the NY company to see if they will stand behind it.

Fingers crossed....

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
So I’m guessing you did not use a CC to pay for it? You’ve dodged advice several times now. Open the dispute.

Goad

Feb 29, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
So I’m guessing you did not use a CC to pay for it? You’ve dodged advice several times now. Open the dispute.

I haven't dodged anything.

I have contacted my bank (Chase) and talked with them about my options. I have 60 days to dispute it. I am giving them a chance to make things right before I start down that road.

I just got a call back from the NY company. They said all of their motors are expected to be rusty coming out of NY. I explained that all of the bolts are rusted and I had glow plugs rusted into the heads. I also explained that the FL company told me it was coming from Florida and I would have never bought a motor from the north. She sympathized with me and told me she had some words with the FL company, but since I didn't buy the motor directly from the NY company, she couldn't give me any information about the motor or the truck it came out of. I asked her if she could at least tell me if the truck it came out of had 80k miles on it and she hesitated and said she couldn't give me that information. She was nice, but I couldn't get any information out of her other than she said the motor was ran before it was pulled.

I called back to FL company and laid into them more. They said they are trying to either find me a replacement or get my money back. I requested the VIN again, and they said they were still waiting to get it from the NY company.

If anyone here cares about my soap opera drama of this rusted out motor, I will continue posting updates as the unfold.

Goad

Feb 29, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
As I was typing the last post, I got an email from FL company. They gave me only the last 8 of the VIN....

2F137009

I am not VIN savvy, but is this information useful at all in helping me pull information on this truck? A quick lookup only tells me that it came from a 2002 truck.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I haven't dodged anything.

I have contacted my bank (Chase) and talked with them about my options. I have 60 days to dispute it. I am giving them a chance to make things right before I start down that road.

I just got a call back from the NY company. They said all of their motors are expected to be rusty coming out of NY. I explained that all of the bolts are rusted and I had glow plugs rusted into the heads. I also explained that the FL company told me it was coming from Florida and I would have never bought a motor from the north. She sympathized with me and told me she had some words with the FL company, but since I didn't buy the motor directly from the NY company, she couldn't give me any information about the motor or the truck it came out of. I asked her if she could at least tell me if the truck it came out of had 80k miles on it and she hesitated and said she couldn't give me that information. She was nice, but I couldn't get any information out of her other than she said the motor was ran before it was pulled.

I called back to FL company and laid into them more. They said they are trying to either find me a replacement or get my money back. I requested the VIN again, and they said they were still waiting to get it from the NY company.

If anyone here cares about my soap opera drama of this rusted out motor, I will continue posting updates as the unfold.

The glow plugs are a pain to get out regardless of miles. They will rust like that in the rust bet at 30k or 300k. I don’t think your engine has 80k miles on it but who knows, it very well could be if it was a daily driver or potentially a fleet truck that saw repeated winter driving.

Hopefully you get it figured out. I’d personally be going down the “money back” option.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Find out where it came from!!! Might of came from my yard!!! We literally sold three in the last 2 weeks. Take pics of the back of the heads, post them up. I need to see the heat caps they slap on the back of the heads

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Goad,

Pm your phone number, we sold a lb7 to a guy in florida 2 weeks ago. if this is the same engine, I will be able to help you out I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.