How big can one go with a single?

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
How big of a single can one get away with? I can spool it on the start but need it to mantain going down the track(drag racing). Im thinking of maybe going to a GT 47. Do you all think it will work? Thanks Jeff

eds04max

May 7, 2008
Landis, N.C.
Hey Jeff, if you're up for a 5 hr ride, we got a money race here in N.C. this w/e.(Sat.)
The track is alot closer to you than OBX. They say it pay's $600 to win.
Come-on down if ya' can!
Later, Ed.

HMMMMM..............47.........dat's BIG!!:eek:

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
Are going to use spray? I think it would be to big for just motor. I would think that a GT42 or GT45 with an external gate would be an awesome setup if you want to use lots of spray.

vortecfcar

No longer a member
Jun 28, 2007
It's driveable, certainly... but the only way I would go bigger than 80mm is if I had a motor I could shift near 5000RPM. This thing needs RPM to do it's dance. I'm shifting at 4200 right now and it wants more, I just don't want to break valvetrain parts (stock).

Here's a video of it on a 3000uS tune, shifting at 3800RPM

Last edited:

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Biggin!

Ed, I wish I could but I have my truck apart :mad:waiting on parts. I sure do like coming down your way for some fun! It will probably be spring before I get it going at the rate i'm going. I'm sure I will see you in the spring. I have to take my son pulling his Cub Cadet this weekend anyhow. It should be fun anyhow I put NOS :Don my buddy's Cub for the run what you brung class! Thanks for the invite. Johnboy, I say no spray BUT! i'm sure I will. For what its worth I have a way to get the turbo to light on spoolup so i'm only worried about keeping it lit. Thanks Jeff

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
It's driveable, certainly... but the only way I would go bigger than 80mm is if I had a motor I could shift near 5000RPM. This thing needs RPM to do it's dance. I'm shifting at 4200 right now and it wants more, I just don't want to break valvetrain parts (stock).

Here's a video of it on a 3000uS tune, shifting at 3800RPM

Sheesh I thought you wear only joking when you said you were running a S480, and you only have got a trans go and a single disk converter? You are crazy man, when does that thing start to spool on your truck?

vortecfcar

No longer a member
Jun 28, 2007
Sheesh I thought you wear only joking when you said you were running a S480, and you only have got a trans go and a single disk converter? You are crazy man, when does that thing start to spool on your truck?

I wouldn't kid you :)

Watch the video and turn the speakers up or watch the speedometer needle. When you hear the big whoosh and the needle move really fast it's 'spooled' :D

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
A cam change will help spool up.;) At least it does for me.

Jeff I am afraid that a 47 will not stay lit if your rpm drops below 3000. I really think a GT45 is a better choice but pricey. Forced Inductions has cheaper plain bearing versions. My tractor buddys say that large s400 spool better but do not run as hard. You can get a budget s400 - 80mm with T4 housing for around $1100. See bottom of link. http://www.forcedinductions.com/productsborgwarner.htm

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Stop when the hood wont close or the bed doesnt fit it:D

probably need to consider the housings and what type of drive press
and also shift points

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Hood

Its funny you say until it hits the hood. I want to cut the hood and bubble it around the turbo. Like alot of the car guys are doing were just the inlet is showing. Jeff

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Casper is pretty streetable with a GT45-sized charger, but it tuning is very important.

I will be playing the High Tech Fat Bastard which is about the same size as a GT45 but plain bearing instead, so it's cheaper.

It will not "plug and play" with a GT42 or GT45 charger, so when I do the install I post notes.

The most streetable of the "big" chargers IMO is the S400 with the 3.0 inducer. Seems to have a wider map than the GT42, but slightly down on HP.

codyn

Aug 26, 2007
urbana ohio
Casper is pretty streetable with a GT45-sized charger, but it tuning is very important.

I will be playing the High Tech Fat Bastard which is about the same size as a GT45 but plain bearing instead, so it's cheaper.

It will not "plug and play" with a GT42 or GT45 charger, so when I do the install I post notes.

The most streetable of the "big" chargers IMO is the S400 with the 3.0 inducer. Seems to have a wider map than the GT42, but slightly down on HP.

depends what you mean by a 3.0 charger;)

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
best of both worlds? IMO

hose the S400 with 3 or 4 stages. Or one simple stage to light and tickle it down the track.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Jeff the one thing about the hood is that it's not just the hood that it would hit
it's more the top of the fire wall

if you did make the custom hood though that would be very cool!