Info: High output alternators

Ron2145

May 6, 2016
Whitefish, MT
I replaced the anemic fusible link charge wire to a 4 gauge cable, I also added an additional 4 gauge charge cable from the alternator to the passenger battery. Take a close look at the stock charging system, it was not designed for optimum charging to the passenger battery.

I had some unexpected results after replacing the alternator with one that put out 150 amps at idle and it was not the Denso hairpin alternator as planned and did not use an under sized pulley ...:D

Hello, what were your results? My alternator died and I’m looking at going with a higher output one. I like your idea of running a charge lead to the passenger battery. I think I’ll do that myself.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I've bought quite a few of the rare electrical ones and to my knowledge, my customers have only told me about one of them not lasting very long. Bearing failed. Maybe 1 of 20 or so? I've had more issues lately with voltage regulators in the 08+ style than anything. I get them rebuilt locally most of the time and keep some in stock.

Reactions: Ron2145

Ron2145

May 6, 2016
Whitefish, MT
I've bought quite a few of the rare electrical ones and to my knowledge, my customers have only told me about one of them not lasting very long. Bearing failed. Maybe 1 of 20 or so? I've had more issues lately with voltage regulators in the 08+ style than anything. I get them rebuilt locally most of the time and keep some in stock.

Thank you for your input!

2007 LBZ, CCLB dually, 475 over stock, EFI tunes by Idaho Rob (damn EPA), 30% over, Mike L built tranny, other odds and ends

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I've had very good luck with DC Power and Mechman. The DC Power elite 270A on our shop plow truck has been flawless for the last 5 years. One of my Mechman 220A has been great on my LB7, the other isn't installed yet as I'm going dual alternator.

Reactions: Ron2145

Ron2145

May 6, 2016
Whitefish, MT
I've had very good luck with DC Power and Mechman. The DC Power elite 270A on our shop plow truck has been flawless for the last 5 years. One of my Mechman 220A has been great on my LB7, the other isn't installed yet as I'm going dual alternator.

Thank you!

2007 LBZ, CCLB dually, 475 over stock, EFI tunes by Idaho Rob (damn EPA), 30% over, Mike L built tranny, other odds and ends

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Anyone heard of or tried the Powermaster from Dmax store?

It says it's new and not a reman.

Ron2145

May 6, 2016
Whitefish, MT
Anyone heard of or tried the Powermaster from Dmax store?

It says it's new and not a reman.

I’ve ordered one, I talked to a few people who have had good success with them. My local parts guy at Carquest had heard a lot of good also, although he couldn’t get me one. I guess the plow guys around here like them. I also talked to the company. All new parts, one year warranty, after one year any repairs you pay parts only at cost, no labor, he said you’re part of the family. Seem like good people with an American made product. The only challenge I see is if you do have an issue you are down for a bit with shipping back and forth. I was thinking about trying to find a rebuild kit for my stock one to have a back up just in case.

Ron2145

May 6, 2016
Whitefish, MT
Summit and JEGS are cheaper than Dmaxstore

Ron2145

May 6, 2016
Whitefish, MT
Summit and JEGS are cheaper than Dmaxstore

From them you can get natural aluminum which is cheaper yet, $298 is what I paid

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
I have a DC power on lmm and Mechman 370 amp, on the lbz. Both have been great no issues. most aftermarket alternators come with smaller pulleys you may need to get a shorter belt. I found a continental belt at local auto parts store that worked. I up graded power and ground wires in the setup. Make sure you install fuses if upgrading wires. Most just run power cables direct to the battery. I have changed up to 5 batteries while towing. Big thing is to find out what amps it puts out at idle as well max. If it only does 50 amp charging at 2000 rpm then ramps up from there it’s defeating the purpose of getting a high amp alternator.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Not sure about Lbz and older but on my lmm I got an alternator from an L5P they’re 280 amps, if you need more get one from an L5P ambulance I heard they’re over 400 amps

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
Is it a direct fit or what is required to make them fit?
For the lbz they make a bracket that puts the second alternator where the dual cp3 would be. Then you can get the wiring kit to splice it in. You can not have the positives outputs touching anywhere. They are separate systems for the regulators.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
For the lbz they make a bracket that puts the second alternator where the dual cp3 would be. Then you can get the wiring kit to splice it in. You can not have the positives outputs touching anywhere. They are separate systems for the regulators.

Gotcha. On my LB7 I'm running 2x Mechman 240a wired to the ECM to regulate turning them both on.

Reactions: moparkxracer