engine stand thoughts

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I got something like this that I used for my engine. It worked pretty good.

maxaholic

Dec 6, 2008
Central, Texas
We've got one that is built on a pallet jack. It is pretty nice for a home built creation. The gearing is made out of an old flywheel and starter gear with a handle on it. If I had a camera I would get a picture.

Last edited:

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Here's the model I use, it works well on a Dmax and folds out of the way when not in use:

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/80042/10002/-1

I use that one too. Its ok, but I only just barely trust it holding a duramax. Saying its a "2000lb" engine stand is a joke. Next time around I would make one myself that is gear driven, and bolts onto the motor mounts instead of the rear cover.

ben

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
Tom, I use the same one as Pat too. I took an SBC flexplate and made it a geared one, but you have to have a brake on it! It gets a little carried away sometimes! :D

Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Pretty much any Chinese specs need to be adjusted.

Since they are only 3' tall, and squint, so must you view things as such.

A 2000lb stand that appears 6 feet tall in the picture, is actually good to 1000lb and is 3' tall in North American.

770JOHNNYW

Sep 16, 2009
Gainesville ,Ga
yea that is true it will get out from under you if you try to flip it with the handle!!!! i always put a lead pipe on the short handle on the stand and stablize it that way... i have heard of big block chevys getting away from people on stands and breaking arms and wrist.:(

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I would like to make one that hooks to the motor mounts

there is a pic on here somewhere of one that a guy made and i love it!

I have a cheapy but one thing that is nice about it is that it has stabilizer bolts close to each wheel

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Um, you guys do realize the Jegs one is the same as the Harbor Freight one...well, except for the extra wheel on the HF stand. I do agree on the geardrive. I wonder if I still have a 302Ford flexplate up in the attic? Hmmm.

Thanks for the input. If the fold-up one is good enough for you guys, then guess what Im asking Santa for. :rofl:

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Dimitri has the the one from Habor Freight you posted , it holds a DMax great , my standard habor freight stand held mine fine with the use of a jack stand under the front of the motor most of the time .

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
have a harbor freight Non-folding and its had our Arias on it and a Powerstroke long block on it, but i was kinda worried, LOL all was fine in the end:thumb:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Dimitri has the the one from Habor Freight you posted , it holds a DMax great , my standard habor freight stand held mine fine with the use of a jack stand under the front of the motor most of the time .

I saw the jackstand, and that was the impetus for this thread. :rofl:

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
I have the non folding 2000lb engine stand from Harbor Freight, which it appears they don't sell anymore. But if the folding is anything like their non folding unit (capacity wise) it'll work great. I've had several engines on mine including a fully dressed LBZ minus pan and rear housing and never thought twice. If you get it it should work out great.

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
I've bought 3 total, 2 for the shop and 1 for my home, the 2 at the shop you can barely turn the engines over after getting them to the long block stage, the one at home turns over fine.

Take the head apart and sand the paint off where the two pipes slide together. ;)