"Diesel bros"

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I disagree. People wanting to increase performance of their vehicles has been the reason there has been performance and will continue to be performance no matter what the govt does. You two just represent a couple companies who saw a need and then created products to help the sport along, and you make money b/c of it. You are the RESULT of the performance industry, not the CAUSE of it.

Anyway, its pretty apparent that the young kids have taken over this industry, and this is just the way they are. Disrespectful, selfish and small pictured of what their actions portray. Does this make me a "hater"? I guess by the narrow definition kids use nowadays, I guess I am. Im going to call it like I see it. Maybe its my age talking, maybe its something else. But I have no plans to watch that train wreck of a show again.

But, if somehow you cant see that the image Discovery is portraying could very well be the image that uninformed lawmakers and the general public are going to have about diesel hobbyists in general, then think again. Ferm said it very well.

Remember TS and Scheid the past couple years? What are the things the public remembers about those events? The decent people who come and watch and participate in the events? Nope. They remember the drunken idiots doing burnouts and "rollin coal" down the roads and in the parking lots, people who terrorized their communities...people just like those in the shop portrayed on the show.

If your justification for continuing the poor image of the sport is simply, "I dont care because Im still going to make a buck no matter what you think", then you have become part of the problem. Where do we enthusiasts draw the line and decide the poor image just isnt acceptable any more?

Here's another point: Why couldnt Discovery find a shop that did decent work instead of half-assing everything? You look at the other car shows, and while they employ made-up drama to enliven things, the work is usually somewhat educational and on a decently professional plane. (yes, even at GMG). Is this something that Chavis is going to take to his bosses and say, "Look, Im a professional, but this isnt. We need to clean this up."?? I would applaud him if he did, just as I would hope you other "sponsors" put pressure on Discovery to clean it up and portray the whole industry in a good light..

I said my piece to Discovery, and so have others. What they do with that is up to them. Im sure they were laughing at my opinion, dismissing it as that of a "grumpy old guy", just like you three have by the tenor of your posts. Andrew, I wonder what Joe Webb would've thought about this?

But here's the thing....I now won't spend any of my hard-earned $$ with any of the companies associated with that show, either. I know you three (and probably the others, too) dont give one rats ass about that, b/c Im "small potatoes", but there are a LOT of us "small potatoes" people and we are the ones who drive this sport.
Also, remember this: whenever someone asks me who I recommend (and it happens more than you think), you can be sure it wont be your companies, either.

Last edited:

03badmaxxx

Ghost Element
Mar 1, 2012
Mesa,AZ
www.facebook.com
I disagree. People wanting to increase performance of their vehicles has been the reason there has been performance and will continue to be performance no matter what the govt does. You two just represent a couple companies who saw a need and then created products to help the sport along, and you make money b/c of it. You are the RESULT of the performance industry, not the CAUSE of it.

Anyway, its pretty apparent that the young kids have taken over this industry, and this is just the way they are. Disrespectful, selfish and small pictured of what their actions portray. Does this make me a "hater"? I guess by the narrow definition kids use nowadays, I guess I am. Im going to call it like I see it. Maybe its my age talking, maybe its something else. But I have no plans to watch that train wreck of a show again.

But, if somehow you cant see that the image Discovery is portraying could very well be the image that uninformed lawmakers and the general public are going to have about diesel hobbyists in general, then think again. Ferm said it very well.

Remember TS and Scheid the past couple years? What are the things the public remembers about those events? The decent people who come and watch and participate in the events? Nope. They remember the drunken idiots doing burnouts and "rollin coal" down the roads and in the parking lots, people who terrorized their communities...people just like those in the shop portrayed on the show.

If your justification for continuing the poor image of the sport is simply, "I dont care because Im still going to make a buck no matter what you think", then you have become part of the problem. Where do we enthusiasts draw the line and decide the poor image just isnt acceptable any more?

Here's another point: Why couldnt Discovery find a shop that did decent work instead of half-assing everything? You look at the other car shows, and while they employ made-up drama to enliven things, the work is usually somewhat educational and on a decently professional plane. (yes, even at GMG). Is this something that Chavis is going to take to his bosses and say, "Look, Im a professional, but this isnt. We need to clean this up."?? I would applaud him if he did, just as I would hope you other "sponsors" put pressure on Discovery to clean it up and portray the whole industry in a good light..

I said my piece to Discovery, and so have others. What they do with that is up to them. Im sure they were laughing at my opinion, dismissing it as that of a "grumpy old guy", just like you three have by the tenor of your posts.
But here's the thing....I now won't spend any of my hard-earned $$ with any of the companies associated with that show, either. I know you three (and probably the others, too) dont give one rats ass about that, b/c Im "small potatoes", but there are a LOT of us "small potatoes" people and we are the ones who drive this sport.
Also, remember this: whenever someone asks me who I recommend (and it happens more than you think), you can be sure it wont be your companies, either.

thats your opinion / right and you are certainly entitled to it ( which i respect). As for me and the company i work for, we will continue to come out with innovative products to market and sell. if you choose not to use them thats on you! Good luck :thumb:

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota

I said my piece to Discovery, and so have others. What they do with that is up to them. Im sure they were laughing at my opinion, dismissing it as that of a "grumpy old guy", just like you three have by the tenor of your posts. Andrew, I wonder what Joe Webb would've thought about this?

:hail2:

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la

thats your opinion / right and you are certainly entitled to it ( which i respect). As for me and the company i work for, we will continue to come out with innovative products to market and sell. if you choose not to use them thats on you! Good luck :thumb:

^^This.

Last edited:

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
when i used to do sales and shows for XDP I really got to understand what kind of knowledge the typical diesel owner posses. i rarely got to speak with customers who had a real good understanding of how diesels work and what parts actually work with their set up. You really have to get on the other side of the counter to fully understand how misinformed and uneducated most diesel owners are.

Just like when new members come on here and ask your typical performance questions, thats what i would deal with except with a much larger volume and a lot of smoke questions. i use to have a smoke tune and a lope tune on my pig knowing damn well that's the stupidest thing ever...those days are long and gone. I cant recall how many times i screwed my self on sales when a customer called in wanting this and that to be the biggest douche in town. Most of them dont have a clue what they want or need all they know is they want to be fast, loud, and blow smoke....thats when people who want to better the industry step in and educate them on how it works and what works. I will tell you guys this, when you educate 1 guy he will spread the word. i had little following of diesel owners that would religiously call me for advice and all of it grew from people who i spoke to and who they spoke to. Out here in the oil field just about every asshole drives a diesel and they all have the same mentality of fast, loud, and smokey...its a losing battle lol

Obviously the majority of us on this forum have a decent understanding of this industry thus the show is not as appealing to us. The show will attract more attention to the industry, which is good....my point is we have to educate these dumb motherF's...even though it seems like a loosing battle.

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la
when i used to do sales and shows for XDP I really got to understand what kind of knowledge the typical diesel owner posses. i rarely got to speak with customers who had a real good understanding of how diesels work and what parts actually work with their set up. You really have to get on the other side of the counter to fully understand how misinformed and uneducated most diesel owners are.

Just like when new members come on here and ask your typical performance questions, thats what i would deal with except with a much larger volume and a lot of smoke questions. i use to have a smoke tune and a lope tune on my pig knowing damn well that's the stupidest thing ever...those days are long and gone. I cant recall how many times i screwed my self on sales when a customer called in wanting this and that to be the biggest douche in town. Most of them dont have a clue what they want or need all they know is they want to be fast, loud, and blow smoke....thats when people who want to better the industry step in and educate them on how it works and what works. I will tell you guys this, when you educate 1 guy he will spread the word. i had little following of diesel owners that would religiously call me for advice and all of it grew from people who i spoke to and who they spoke to. Out here in the oil field just about every asshole drives a diesel and they all have the same mentality of fast, loud, and smokey...its a losing battle lol

Obviously the majority of us on this forum have a decent understanding of this industry thus the show is not as appealing to us. The show will attract more attention to the industry, which is good....my point is we have to educate these dumb motherF's...even though it seems like a loosing battle.

This is EXACTLY what I was trying to say, perhaps you worded it better. :hug:

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011

This is a good point. I do think that it is catching on faster than we think. I know in my own town it seems like the "rolling coal" has tapered off. I don't see it nearly as often as I used to. A lot of the shops around here are chiming in and spreading good advice about tuning and emissions. Look at ATP for example. Their lml testing has shown significantly better efficiency when it comes to emissions intact tuning.

relaxedhd

Nov 12, 2015
Hmm

Imho alot of people are blaming these guys for this show & i understand where they are coming from as far as portraying the image of the diesel community. They are intitled to their opinion. What i feel some people are forgetting is that it is tv. Shows weather good or bad they are made to attract an audiance. Thats exactly what discovery has done & other networks. A lot of reality shows or shows put on by discovery (and networks like that) dont always portray the truth or how things really are. They are made to make money & attract an audiance...any type of audiance. Street outlaws really isnt street racing when on the waver you sign to be on it says you have to have a nrha approved cage or safety gear. Lets be honest how many have street raced without & still do? Your sons of anarchy & other biker shows all bullshit or only show you the wrong. Same as the goverment & news show you. So i guess what im getting at is its just a piece of the diesel community that the show portrays not the entire community. All things combined will add to legislatures & tree huggers making more of a fuss over diesel pollution then just 1 show. Its just a tv show there to make money 7 those guys are doing what they love & making money at it.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ

This is the winning post of this whole thread, not much else can be said any better.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Imho alot of people are blaming these guys for this show & i understand where they are coming from as far as portraying the image of the diesel community. They are intitled to their opinion. What i feel some people are forgetting is that it is tv. Shows weather good or bad they are made to attract an audiance. Thats exactly what discovery has done & other networks. A lot of reality shows or shows put on by discovery (and networks like that) dont always portray the truth or how things really are. They are made to make money & attract an audiance...any type of audiance. Street outlaws really isnt street racing when on the waver you sign to be on it says you have to have a nrha approved cage or safety gear. Lets be honest how many have street raced without & still do? Your sons of anarchy & other biker shows all bullshit or only show you the wrong. Same as the goverment & news show you. So i guess what im getting at is its just a piece of the diesel community that the show portrays not the entire community. All things combined will add to legislatures & tree huggers making more of a fuss over diesel pollution then just 1 show. Its just a tv show there to make money 7 those guys are doing what they love & making money at it.
From reading the 14 pages on my phone what I am hearings is two things. One is irresponsible diesel enthusiasts are in fact bad for the industry and I personally don't want my freedoms to be hindered by those guys. Secondly, I stand some chance of making money eyes from increased literacy of fast diesel trucks but I more importantly would prefer not to see negative attention to the industry . In turn the sponsors should be as concerned that are liberties don't suffer from people being irresponsible just because it makes their companies more money. Hell, people keep denying how to tune certain vehicles here in the USA and it stills happens. Only reason for that is to keep making money doing it. If the cat was let out of the bag it would come to a end in pretty short order. I like what freedoms we have here. I don't what to loose more of them than we have over the last 7 years.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

bubbaburger911

Jul 14, 2014
New Jersey
Okay so I'm pretty new to the diesel scene. I got my first diesel when I was 18, I'm 20 now and still own the same truck. I would be considered a "kid" by most of you guys; so I take offense to the remarks about how kids are helping ruin the industry, an industry that I've really found great interest in, because all we care about is rolling coal, with no regard for the reliability and performance of our equipment. Now sure, plenty of kids just want to roll coal, but a lot of us "kids" would much rather run with as little black smoke as possible, especially when it means going faster with lower EGTs and many other benefits. I'm a "kid" but that doesn't mean all i want to do is black out intersections and soot on a prius.

In regards to the TV show, as I said on the first page of this thread, it is very corny, lots of fake commentary and goofing around. plenty of fake drama. The one commercial they even said the duramax was totaled by fire (This Chavis guy claims the truck was done months ago though so i guess it wasn't totalled). But I don't know how much more of a negative effect the show will really add to the industry. Social media (instagram for example) does a very good job of showing more coal rolling than any other media outlet, regardless of how many viewers this show gets. Just go one there and look at some of these pages, everything is about soot, coal, trucksluts, etc. It is embarrassing. I guess what I'm saying is that this show is not the biggest problem with the image of the sport, it doesn't help the image, but it is not the biggest threat IMHO

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
To me "welder up" is more diesel oriented then this dumb show. Just cause you use a diesel truck to ruin don't make it a diesel show. Talk about the good chit. Turbos, injectors, pistons, trans and so fourth. No dumb ass flat beds and military axles.

Evansdmax

Nov 29, 2015
"Diesel bros"

I'm not going to support it..... But if they can make a living jerkin off on tv I'm jealous I have to work like a dog just to pay for my house family and a little bit is left for eating out and hobbies!!!

08 ccsb lt stock for now

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Nice post Bubbaburger911

You sound like a smart guy (kid). lol I will go out on a limb and say you work for what you have and you will be success in life. You ARE what we need and not the goof stuff. I want to thank your parents! That's what most kids are missing. Everything handed to them with little respect for how they got it.

weazel

Oct 5, 2011
Mason, TX
You sound like a smart guy (kid). lol I will go out on a limb and say you work for what you have and you will be success in life. You ARE what we need and not the goof stuff. I want to thank your parents! That's what most kids are missing. Everything handed to them with little respect for how they got it.

I think the last two sentences of what you just wrote pretty much sum it all up as to what's going on with the youngsters nowadays.

It's evident, even with a regular car, that that is what is happening. I live across the street from a high school, and we see dumb crap all the time. Kids rolling up in brand new cars and trucks, and their main concern is how fast they can get in and out of the parking lot showing off. Had one kid just about wipe out a brand spanking new Camaro trying to do a burn out, out of the parking lot! And there's another one in a newer Chevy truck that likes to show up in the parking lot in the middle of the night and do burnouts and cut donuts..

I guess my point of those stories gives an example of what you just said stingpuller.. A lack of respect of what some kids are given...

fastpunker

adrenaline junkie
Feb 7, 2012
Lake Havasu City, AZ

This exactly what I was trying to convey by adding the link for everyone to go say something. Well said Tom :thumb:

I respect and somewhat agree with your point Andrew, but to come on here and to say something in response in that tone is a very poor business move. The mature thing to do would've been to just not say anything. Sorry, just my $.02.

^this is exactly what we all need to say to the Discover channel... it's not that we don't want the publicity, we do, we just want the right kind of publicity!

Okay so I'm pretty new to the diesel scene. I got my first diesel when I was 18, I'm 20 now and still own the same truck. I would be considered a "kid" by most of you guys; so I take offense to the remarks about how kids are helping ruin the industry, an industry that I've really found great interest in, because all we care about is rolling coal, with no regard for the reliability and performance of our equipment. Now sure, plenty of kids just want to roll coal, but a lot of us "kids" would much rather run with as little black smoke as possible, especially when it means going faster with lower EGTs and many other benefits. I'm a "kid" but that doesn't mean all i want to do is black out intersections and soot on a prius.

In regards to the TV show, as I said on the first page of this thread, it is very corny, lots of fake commentary and goofing around. plenty of fake drama. The one commercial they even said the duramax was totaled by fire (This Chavis guy claims the truck was done months ago though so i guess it wasn't totalled). But I don't know how much more of a negative effect the show will really add to the industry. Social media (instagram for example) does a very good job of showing more coal rolling than any other media outlet, regardless of how many viewers this show gets. Just go one there and look at some of these pages, everything is about soot, coal, trucksluts, etc. It is embarrassing. I guess what I'm saying is that this show is not the biggest problem with the image of the sport, it doesn't help the image, but it is not the biggest threat IMHO

Don't take offence to the kid comments please... yes you are younger than most on here, but you have a mature and correct mindset towards the diesel sport :thumb: The comments about "kids" are geared towards the ones that just want the fast/loud/smoky trucks. Keep your head where it's at and share your thoughts/views with friends and acquaintances :woott: