Dash Logic DIC gauges?

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
It does read factory EGT. We are limited on Boost by the MAP sensor, if it is pegged we are limited by that amount. You can install an aftermarket boost sensor and plug it into the analog inputs however.

Easier fix here for the Dmax tuner crowd would be to just swap out the stock MAP with a 4 or 5 bar unit and recalibrate the sensor scaling table in EFI to match. 4-bar would get ya up to 45psi of corrected boost.

Cool looking product..

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
Pretty cool device. Threw this configuration on really quick. You can manually enter pid's outside the default list they have I their program.

My oil was just changed before I started it up, that's why it's high

PalmerPerformance

Jun 16, 2014
Easier fix here for the Dmax tuner crowd would be to just swap out the stock MAP with a 4 or 5 bar unit and recalibrate the sensor scaling table in EFI to match. 4-bar would get ya up to 45psi of corrected boost.

Cool looking product..

If you change the MAP and rescale in the tune, we will show correct boost on the DIC.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Super cool who's to say they can do it on the older trucks with the dic shouldn't be that much difference right:confused:

If it "wasnt that much different", then they would have already done it...............

He already explained that on the 03-07 Class 2/J1850 trucks, the IPC receives/displays messages differently...the cluster has to flash a blank screen for a second in between messages. So the refresh rate for the display would only be about once every second or two, and the flashing of the blank display between updates would get annoying.

Like, you know how if you have multiple faults (say, 4wd problem and airbag problem) with your 03-07 truck, it will say "SERVICE 4WD" for 1 second...go blank for 1 second...then "SERVICE AIRBAG" for 1 second...then blank...

Or, if a fault comes up while you are driving...and you're on the odometer screen....it has the odometer displayed, then goes blank for 1 second, then shows "SERVICE 4WD".

Its just the way the 03-07 cluster works/is programmed. Its not programmed to update messages in real time, because it was never intended to show any real-time-updated info from the factory.

Compared to the 2007.5+ clusters that are on the faster low-speed GMLAN bus, and are designed/programmed to update DIC messages in real time (because they are programmed to show trans fluid temp, digital speedo on 2012+ trucks, compass/outside air temp on 2009+, etc).

Maybe with custom firmware, an 03-07 cluster could be made to show ASCII text messages in real time without blanking the DIC between updates, but I doubt Palmer wants to get into that, considering the amount of R&D it would take, all for an old obsolete cluster that only has a limited 1-line 20-something character VFD to begin with.....

Ben

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
If it "wasnt that much different", then they would have already done it...............

He already explained that on the 03-07 Class 2/J1850 trucks, the IPC receives/displays messages differently...the cluster has to flash a blank screen for a second in between messages. So the refresh rate for the display would only be about once every second or two, and the flashing of the blank display between updates would get annoying.

Like, you know how if you have multiple faults (say, 4wd problem and airbag problem) with your 03-07 truck, it will say "SERVICE 4WD" for 1 second...go blank for 1 second...then "SERVICE AIRBAG" for 1 second...then blank...

Or, if a fault comes up while you are driving...and you're on the odometer screen....it has the odometer displayed, then goes blank for 1 second, then shows "SERVICE 4WD".

Its just the way the 03-07 cluster works/is programmed. Its not programmed to update messages in real time, because it was never intended to show any real-time-updated info from the factory.

Compared to the 2007.5+ clusters that are on the faster low-speed GMLAN bus, and are designed/programmed to update DIC messages in real time (because they are programmed to show trans fluid temp, digital speedo on 2012+ trucks, compass/outside air temp on 2009+, etc).

Maybe with custom firmware, an 03-07 cluster could be made to show ASCII text messages in real time without blanking the DIC between updates, but I doubt Palmer wants to get into that, considering the amount of R&D it would take, all for an old obsolete cluster that only has a limited 1-line 20-something character VFD to begin with.....

Ben

It shows fuel economy as "real time" data. Yes it does update slowly.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
It shows fuel economy as "real time" data. Yes it does update slowly.

Good point! But the "Fuel economy inst" message is pre-programmed into the cluster, it only receives the single numerical value at a time from the ECM. Its not getting the entire full text message from the ECM.

Between slow Class 2 (10.4kbps), and the cluster having to process and display each message, thats probably where the limitation is.

Palmer would be the one to answer the details....

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
I've been reading on the Class 2 data line DIC's [pre-gmlan] for another project, and your correct about the refresh speed. It's gonna get annoying very quickly.

Like comparing dial-up to DSL speeds. Both work in the same way, but ones not gonna be happily streaming movies...

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
So if it reads any 0-5v sensor. Do I just plug in my EGT probe? How would you know if it's scaled properly? Are all EGT sensors scaled the same?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
So if it reads any 0-5v sensor. Do I just plug in my EGT probe? How would you know if it's scaled properly? Are all EGT sensors scaled the same?

No...it doesnt work like that. Most aftermarket EGT probes arent 0-5v analog sensors. They are k-type thermocouples. They generate a voltage, not a 0-5v analog reference..

Basically. Does your EGT probe have two wires or three?

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
No...it doesnt work like that. Most aftermarket EGT probes arent 0-5v analog sensors. They are k-type thermocouples. They generate a voltage, not a 0-5v analog reference..

Basically. Does your EGT probe have two wires or three?

Only two.
So how do you hook up an EGT probe?