Can someone confirm cam lobe order for me?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
One thing I have never seen over the years was an actual cam spec comparison between the different Duramax models. We've always assumed they were the same throughout the years, but its looking like they werent. Would be nice to have that info in one spot.

hint....hint....hint....

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
One thing I have never seen over the years was an actual cam spec comparison between the different Duramax models. We've always assumed they were the same throughout the years, but its looking like they werent. Would be nice to have that info in one spot.

hint....hint....hint....
give me more cams to measure...

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
They make some different attachments for measuring the lobes. I Even found one shop that made there own attachment to use an actual roller lifter on the lobe with the linear probe attached to that.

Reactions: juddski88

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I've often wondered what the difference between cam lobe specs was between engines. I know most diesel guys don't see the importance in cam selection, but it can drastically change engine response at different RPM ranges.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I've often wondered what the difference between cam lobe specs was between engines. I know most diesel guys don't see the importance in cam selection, but it can drastically change engine response at different RPM ranges.
Frankly I am sick of the secrecy... Some of these trucks are over 20 years old now... Some of the products out there are over 10-15 years old... There shouldn't be any reason to hide it. Yes, its a small community and the mark ups are high on some of the stuff. But as you mentioned, something like a camshaft can drastically change the driving characteristics of the vehicle.

Brad turned me on to that stage1 cam because of the price at the time when they were on sale. But you don't get a cam card and when he inquired they wouldn't give him the specs. I Called and I was told it was similar to another cam they had and that it would be ok for stock fuel, Stock turbo, stock programing, and would help with towing. Obviously tuning and more fueling would make a huge difference but if you had to run a Stock tune for legal reasons this would still work.... the cam card they sent for the other cam is different from what I am seeing on the cam doctor if I recall... but I seem to have CRS lately... :LOL:

CRS=Can't Remember Shit...

Harshman

Apr 20, 2021
harshmanauto.com
I might have a LBZ cam to measure soon. Callies gives cam cards. I have a cam hear from Straub I am going to try in my own truck. I will put those specs up.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I might have a LBZ cam to measure soon. Callies gives cam cards. I have a cam hear from Straub I am going to try in my own truck. I will put those specs up.
The first one I posted was an 06 LBZ cam from my engine. Never hurts to confirm though.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Performance Trends software
@Harshman , are you using the bench from them as well?

Do you still have the LLY and LML cams?

I Measured 5 duramax cams today.

LB7 2001
LBZ 2006
LMM 2008
Wagler Stage 1 Standard Fire Order.
L5P 2017 I believe.