Camshaft Interchangable?

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I have a wagler stg 1 here but am now ready to install it. Maybe next time

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk
Here is the specs. https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/foru...firm-cam-lobe-order-for-me.89461/post-1210443

The peak valve lift is affected by rocker arm ratio. They guy was just too lazy to change it.

When I get a group of cam's together and go back, I can have him change it. Also looking into changing the follower attachment to be the same size diameter as an OEM lifter.

If it wasn't 4k-5K depending on options for one of these devices, I would buy one...

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
So just a little update. Found a local LB7 cam for $20 that I am guessing is from an 02 based on the date code. Also came with the Lifters. Have no use for them but I will find them a good home.

Spoke to Audie technologies and got a follower on order that is the same diameter as the Duramax roller. He also gave me some education on using there product that I was not aware of.

The equipment is not in a temperature controlled room so I would like to do the measuring on the same day, around the same time.

Attachments

• 20230717_142815.jpg
    20230717_142815.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: Bdsankey

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I've always wondered if the different year LB7 cams were different.
Fortunately I can read the date code and part number on that cam. Some are hard to read. I wonder if Fed Vs CA is different or ZF6 versions are different?

Like I said I am willing to have it checked out for those that can share cams.

Reactions: 2004LB7

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I received my new 24mm Follower attachment for the cam measuring machine the other day.

I currently have the 02 LB7 I picked up and an 06 LBZ cam from my motor along with the Wagler Stage 1 cam Standard firing order cam.

Hoping to source a few more cores to inspect.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I just wanted to Thank @JoshH from Top Notch Garage for sending me and LMM and an L5P camshafts to measure.

The only 2 camshafts I don't have in my possession right now are an LLY and an LML. When I get them all measured, I will post the Number's and date code's from each cam with it's relative spec's.

This should give us a better Idea if anything changed through out the range.

Does any one know if the roller diameter size of the of the L5P changed. I can see the lobe is smaller?

Reactions: 2004LB7

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I just wanted to Thank @JoshH from Top Notch Garage for sending me and LMM and an L5P camshafts to measure.

The only 2 camshafts I don't have in my possession right now are an LLY and an LML. When I get them all measured, I will post the Number's and date code's from each cam with it's relative spec's.

This should give us a better Idea if anything changed through out the range.

Does any one know if the roller diameter size of the of the L5P changed. I can see the lobe is smaller?
I sent you a message about that, but just to post it publicly, the L5P lifter does use a much smaller diameter roller, right at .700" OD.

Reactions: 1FastBrick

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Ok finally got this done... used the 24mm follower on all cams and set the data in the file.
Using the 24mm follower, 1.36 Intake 1.69 exhaust, 0 lash. The L5P I used a 24mm follower first and then a .750 follower but changed no data in the file.

LB7 2001
LBZ 2006
LMM 2008
Wagler Stage 1 Standard Fire Order.
L5P 2017 I believe.

Edited to correct lobes measured

LB7 cam Fix.jpgcam LB7.jpgLBZ cam Fix.jpgCam LBZ.jpgLMM cam Fix.jpgCam LMM.jpgWAG STG1 Fix.jpgCam WAG STG1.jpgL5P Cam 24mm Fix.jpgL5P Cam 750 Fix.jpgcam L5P.jpg

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
This is good info. Thanks for sharing. I am surprised at how much less duration the L5P cam has compared to the other cams. I'm a little confused how the smaller diameter follower on the L5P cam shows more duration at low lift, then falls behind in the transition area, and catches back up over the nose. I'm not surprised to see the numbers come together as the lift increases, but I'm more surprised that the smaller roller has more duration coming up on the ramp. Also, is there any chance you got the intake and exhaust lobes backward? It looks like you got the rocker ratios mixed up in your post, but the total valve lift numbers seem to line up with the ratios as you posted which makes me think maybe the numbers you are showing for intake are actually for the exhaust and vice versa. Keep in mind, the duramax cam being a gear to gear rather than chain/belt driven turns the opposite direction from the crankshaft and most other cams.

Ironworker15

Mar 28, 2023
Massachusetts
Im wondering if the changes in the cam profiles between the years have anything to do with emissions? I have a Callies Stg 2 on hand Id like to check as well. It came with a cam card, but I'd like to see if there's any difference between the card and the cam doctor machine reading.

Attachments

• KIMG5142.JPG
    KIMG5142.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 16

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Also remember that the earlier cams have a channel cut in the center of the #4 cam bearing journal for the turbo oil feed and the LML's don't have this so if you put the LML stock cam in an earlier model you have to move the oil feed to the side of the block or the turbo will die a very quick death! I have unfortunately gotten a ton of calls about this in the last few years because it has happened more times than it really should have by remanufacturing places... The differences in cam profiles through the years are most likely emissions related as the engineers were pulling out every stop to make them meet the numbers mandated by the gov.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
This is good info. Thanks for sharing. I am surprised at how much less duration the L5P cam has compared to the other cams. I'm a little confused how the smaller diameter follower on the L5P cam shows more duration at low lift, then falls behind in the transition area, and catches back up over the nose. I'm not surprised to see the numbers come together as the lift increases, but I'm more surprised that the smaller roller has more duration coming up on the ramp. Also, is there any chance you got the intake and exhaust lobes backward? It looks like you got the rocker ratios mixed up in your post, but the total valve lift numbers seem to line up with the ratios as you posted which makes me think maybe the numbers you are showing for intake are actually for the exhaust and vice versa. Keep in mind, the duramax cam being a gear to gear rather than chain/belt driven turns the opposite direction from the crankshaft and most other cams.
@JoshH Damn you!!! I think you are right!!!

Ok so if your looking at the cam from the front of the engine, we measured the 1st and 3rd lobe.

We copied the lobes back wards. :( Starting with number 3 as Intake and 1 as Exhaust.... Incase it matters, I believe we turned the cam counter clockwise to measure the profile.

FML.... figures. This was a huge thing trying to arrange and coordinate. I wish I had the money to buy my own equipment but it's like $6500 for this particular brand.

Reactions: Ironworker15

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Also remember that the earlier cams have a channel cut in the center of the #4 cam bearing journal for the turbo oil feed and the LML's don't have this so if you put the LML stock cam in an earlier model you have to move the oil feed to the side of the block or the turbo will die a very quick death! I have unfortunately gotten a ton of calls about this in the last few years because it has happened more times than it really should have by remanufacturing places... The differences in cam profiles through the years are most likely emissions related as the engineers were pulling out every stop to make them meet the numbers mandated by the gov.
I believe you are right about the emissions thing Mark. It's interesting that GM only shows 1 number as a replacement cam for 01-16.
I am guessing to save on cost of having multiple inventory.

Also thanks for the Tech tip about and LML cam not having the #4 oil grove in the Main journal to feed the turbo.

I am curious to see how this Wagler Stage 1 cam preforms.

Reactions: Ironworker15

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
@JoshH Damn you!!! I think you are right!!!

Ok so if your looking at the cam from the front of the engine, we measured the 1st and 3rd lobe.

We copied the lobes back wards. :( Starting with number 3 as Intake and 1 as Exhaust.... Incase it matters, I believe we turned the cam counter clockwise to measure the profile.

FML.... figures. This was a huge thing trying to arrange and coordinate. I wish I had the money to buy my own equipment but it's like $6500 for this particular brand.

Yes #3 would be exhaust if it spins CCW in the engine. Shouldn't really matter which direction you measure it unless you really care about the lobe shape and it happened to be asymmetrical

Reactions: malibu795

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
So got the intake/exhaust swapped or just rolled the cam backwards?

LBZ should be 210/213* @.050 .286"/.232" lobe (.389"/.392") valve where everything is swapped on the spread sheet.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Guess I never saw it, but what IS the rocker ratio on a Duramax? 1.5? 1.7? Something else?