Best Diesel Oil???

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
I like amsoil, and have heard good from scheffers too. I also have heard good about CenPeCo aswell, used in some hard run motors! I use Valvoline VR-1 50W race oil. We ran that oil in our 526ci ARIAS, pro-mod motor, one of the hardest enviroments around! I run that in my truck since my oil tends to get diluted and its runnin strong:D

20-50 is a much better choice than strait 50w in most race motors. Scheffers is good stuff.

Last edited:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
;) normally yes!

Heres the severity of OUR issue! Shes VERY high maintnance:rofl:

But the ARIAS is a differant beast! Its a solid alum block, no cooling exept the injected fuel charge, which is ALOT! It burns about 10gal of methanol per 1/4 mile pass, so oil becomes quite diluted. It has 20 mechanical fuel injectors. It runs for about 4-5 min total per run, burnout and all included. During a sub 6 second pass, the RPM's are high, leaving the line at 7000rpm, shift at 8K and cross the line over 9500RPM:eek: As i stated before, its a "floater" engine with alot of bearing clearance. Dry-sumped Hi-flow/Hi-Psi oil system. Terrible valvetrain geometry that has wear issues. I would have to (by hand) pre-lube all the valvtrain parts with assembly lube and oil before every motor startup. Solid billet cyl heads, dont even have valve seals! I have bags of galled up valve lash caps, adjusters, rockers and chewed pushrods. It needs heavy honey-like oil for the extremes it sees. It also gets changed ALOT, bout every 2 runs. You would be hard pressed to find a multi-grade race oil that meets our needs. It would likly be pricy too. Walk down an NHRA Top Fuel/Top Alky row in the pits.....ALL stright weight oils. They hold up to that kind of severe abuse better. It pours in like honey and drains out HOT just as thick, thats what we need!

Jasondt2001

May 3, 2008
Salinas, Ca
Mobil Delvac 15w40 (Non Synthetic) changed at 5k.
I towed alot the last couple months on this oil and noticed I was a quart down, it's happened once before but I hadn't seen it for a while... weird.
I noticed the loss with 4k on the motor oil.
I have my EGR electrically off and am using the VVT as a turbo brake but I don't think that has anything to do with it...
I'm switching to a synthetic, I hope it doesnt make it worse or burn my pistons...ack.
That's the first I've read of that, anymore info?

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
This is my own personal experience.

I have a 7+ year old 2002/LB7, ran either Delo 400 or Rotella "T" 15w-40 in it since new.

Changed it out every 3500-4000 miles with a AC Delco filter, to this day it does not leak or burn any oil. I beat the hell out of my truck with the tune testing I do.

I have 30K miles on my 2007 LBZ, same oil used, same interval except in the winter where I will go 1500-2000 miles on it when I push a lot of snow.

Again, no leaks, no oil consumption.

Is Amsoil better ??? I don't have the answer, is it a ton more $$$$$, YUP and a lot more because of the shipping costs and everything else associated with it.

Am I bashing Amsoil, NOPE, just looking at my $$$ spent and my own experiences with two Diesels.

:D

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2009
I have to add here, I have pulled heavy with my loads as shown below... I have run AMSOIL for the full extended mileage, when I do not hit 25K in a year I change it. I work my trucks hard and have not had to add oil to my trucks. I also get 9-10 mpg hauling up to 40K lbs on the highways of Virginia up and down hills. Yes, AMSOIL cost me more for the oil and filter, however, I only change it once a year. there is no comparing the time and money saved to changing conventional every 3-5K IMHO... I only spend $100 per year.

100_0424.jpg

100_1482.jpg

100_1353.jpg

kodiak

Sep 25, 2007
Yep...I do the 25,000 or once a year oil change too. With my bypass, I just do a filter change around 10,000 and keep on trucking. It uses no oil other than what little is lost with the discarded filter. Figures out to be just a tad over $100 a year for me as well.

Last edited:

clayt171

He's watching you
Aug 21, 2008
I O Way
Using Amsoil now. Sent in an oil sample for analysis when it had 10k on it. They told me to run it another 10k and then send in another sample. I'm happy with it. Due to shipping costs I am switching to Hydrotec. Pretty much the same oil but I don't have to pay shipping.

motohed

dirty payback
Apr 15, 2008
escondido, ca
hey, sorry for the OT, but i wanna do an oil analysis for my first oil change on my new motor. i have no idea what to do. where do i sent it? cost? time? what do i look for? going to change breakin oil (delo) at 1500 miles.

thanks!!!:)

Jasondt2001

May 3, 2008
Salinas, Ca
Actually I just ordered a sample kit today - the kit is free, it'll cost you 22 dollars for the to do the sample... If you want the read out + the TBN (I guess it tells you the active additive left in the oil) it'll cost a total of 32 dollars.
I think you'd only get the TBN option if you're going for extended drain intervals and want to know if you've still got some miles left on the oil in the crank case you just sent them.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/gas_sampling.html
it says gas, but, it'll get you there :)

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I'm not to happy with Blackstone I'm going to send my samples to Oil Analyzers, Inc next time I think.

Delo is very common in my industry and I think that says a lot, but really any of the ones named here are good. Valvoline Premium Blue is another good one.

IMO for most people syn are over kill unless you running extended drain internals, or really running your truck hard. Even if you have lots of power it might not be wise Heavy fueling= diluting your oil with fuel faster.

Jasondt2001

May 3, 2008
Salinas, Ca
I'm going to try the amsoil this oil change, I will sample it at 5k.

I am going to sample the mobil delvac at 5k also before I switch to the amsoil.
Then I'll compare.
To be honest; unless what I find is extra-ordinary, I'm going to do dyno and change at 5k intervals.
I know it's 'old school' but honestly after 3k I get itchy, after 5k, I don't know if I can do it...:hug:

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
it doesnt even sound right to me when somebody says they change there oil at 5000 miles. i used to change mine at 2000 intervals but now with cen-pe-co i am changing it at 3000 mile changes. it may cost me more but i have peace of mind:D