Best Diesel Oil???

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Ive been running Rotella T 5w40 synthetic for over two years now with no issues at all. With all the racing/pulling I've done, Ive been very impressed. I usually go ~7500 miles between changes.

penzoil :rofl:

Only if you want enough wax in your motor to create a freakin bee hive. :rolleyes: Back in the '80s, we could always tell when a motor was a "Pennzoil" motor by how much crap was gunked up under the valve covers. Oldsmobile 350s didnt look too pretty like that.

Last edited:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
I like amsoil, and have heard good from scheffers too. I also have heard good about CenPeCo aswell, used in some hard run motors! I use Valvoline VR-1 50W race oil. We ran that oil in our 526ci ARIAS, pro-mod motor, one of the hardest enviroments around! I run that in my truck since my oil tends to get diluted and its runnin strong:D

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
no motor needs strait 50w

Well, as stated, I've had fuel dilution issues on my truck. Somewhere it leaks fuel into the oil under higher end rail pressures. Ive chased my tail trying to find this little bugger and as ive tried to find it, to combat the dilution, I have used this heavy oil as an extra measure. My trucks oil pressure has been a little on the low side since the day i bought it. This also helps with the oil psi. I think I have found my leak and once its confirmed sealed tight, I'll switch back oils.

Further note, the Arias that we ran this oil in...Any lighter oil and it would eat parts like nobodys business! the track, we would run Valvoline's VR-1 60w oil:eek: This motor is built such that its a "floater". With out heavy oil and high psi/volume, it would self-destruct. This motor carrys minimum 90psi @ idle and around 150psi @ WOT! This is basically a T/F engine burning alky, pics in my photo album if your interested;) SO ya there are some engines that require oils as such:hug::angel:

motohed

dirty payback
Apr 15, 2008
escondido, ca
just under 25K on my truck and lost my motor. first oil change at 1500 with delo. then at 5k and every 5k after that with rotella t 15-40. tore my motor apart and there was sludge buildup everywhere. my rod bearings looked hammered and my crank had oil burned on it: although the oil only had a hint of burn smell to it. just my :2cents:

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
Bearings get hammered from running to much timming most of the time. I've ran Rotella 15w/40 in this truck and my last truck 02lb7 the same for the most part. My buddy that I work for his family also owns a big trucking outfit and the use nothing but Rotella in their semis and have had great results suing it.

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
I remember Ben I think it was had a theory that somehow synthetics might of been contributing to the piston cracking? Anyone ever pursue that further?

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I remember Ben I think it was had a theory that somehow synthetics might of been contributing to the piston cracking? Anyone ever pursue that further?

first I have heard of it Slowlmm ran his truck for 50,000 miles GT4094/Cheetah and Dual Cp3's running 15w-40 amsoil and then he lost a piston i doubt it really matters much what oil your running as long as it is a good company.

07DuramaxHD

Diesel newbie
Feb 25, 2009
Virginia
Shell Rotella T 15w-40 with Triple Protection here...readily available at Wal-Mart. I've always known local farmers running Rotella oil for years in their farm equipment so I figured it wouldn't be a bad oil to go with.

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
Whitetail that is correct.I run semi synthetic they say you get the best of both oils

Thanks man.

That leads me to this...a few years ago I tore a 350 sbc apart that was in a '72 Chevy truck. When I took the valve covers off, the rockers and pushrods where covered in a wax like sludge. My grandfather said that came from using a certain oil (can't recall the co) back in the day, which was parafine based.

Could the same be happening with the parafine based oils of today?

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
Ive run Rotella and it broke down to nothing in the matter of a few hundred miles then went to vavoline cummins rated and it made it a woping 3000 miles and was the consistancy of water. i now run cen-pe-co oils and have nothing but great things to say about them they keep there honey like consistancy from day you put it in to the day you drain it out. so far this is the best i have run and will continue to.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
I Agree. Amsoil did a "white" paper to claim their product superior but they didn't test any Schaeffer oils. I emailed Amsoil's engineering dept. and asked why they didn't test Schaeffer products. The answer I got back was " we didn't include industrial lubricants in our oil study".

I guess I'll keep using what Amsoil is afraid to test...

Schaeffer #151 MolyBond 15w40 CI4+..

FWIW, my hot oil pressure at idle is 30 psi...

I've looked at every post you've made, and I cant seem to remember anything you've said. but i cant stop looking at your posts. You should step up and become a full time post whore. you got my vote.!

sorry back on topic now...
I run shell syn rotella since the 2nd or 3rd change. the dealer did the first one or two. 174000 so far.

Last edited: