2wd Street tires?

RMJ_LB7

Feb 25, 2020
California
I have been debating about what to run on the street to be able to hook up, at least somewhat hook up. What are you 2WD guys running in the rear to hook up on the street?

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
For the single cab in your sig. some khumo acr tires would work well if your suspension is set up. They’re 19’s tho.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
For a budget option, I liked the Falkens I ran on my 2WD LB7. Hooked better then the michelins I ran before

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
If you're making much power, there isn't really any normal street tire that will hook up on the street. You'll have to run a DOT slick or drag radial to even have a chance, and even those don't work that well on an unprepped surface.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
If you're making much power, there isn't really any normal street tire that will hook up on the street. You'll have to run a DOT slick or drag radial to even have a chance, and even those don't work that well on an unprepped surface.

I agree with josh. It’s hard to get a 2wd diesel to hook on the street

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Need a lot of weight on the ass end to give a chance to a street tire

This is 150% correct! I ended up moving a bunch of weight to the rear of White Lightning to get it to somewhat hook up better. I put a 19 gallon fuel cell at the tail gate, my battery was mounted in a steel battery box at the tailgate. My fass 260 was mounted under the fuel cell at the tailgate. I installed a Quad fold hard bed cover to add weight and help with the aero some at higher than recommended speeds lol! I ran 3.42gears with 305/50R20 Toyo Proxies and Nitto 420's as ran the Kumho Estes and the Proxies gave me the best traction of the three. Really would have liked to 4link it to see what that did for it but haven't gotten that far with it yet.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The fact he’s got a short bed helps and it’s 4 linked. I’d probably set that ass end up real soft on compression and spring rate, then run the shock valving to control launch. Start at 0% anti squat too, might have to go negative. Front end will need to be real loose too.

Tires will probably still spin at will under high hp but that will give them a chance at least. Weight at the back end is still highly needed

RMJ_LB7

Feb 25, 2020
California
Thank you everyone for responses! I agree I think DOT drag radials will be my only option to hook up at all on the street. I will need to play with the suspension to set it up really soft, however I have my fuel cell, battery, lift pump and also my transmission fans mounted on the rear trying to give it the most weight on the rear as possible. I was looking into 275/55r17 on a set of 17x9s just to cruise around town and then swapping the radials on when I want to get rowdy. This truck will mainly be track driven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
The fact he’s got a short bed helps and it’s 4 linked. I’d probably set that ass end up real soft on compression and spring rate, then run the shock valving to control launch. Start at 0% anti squat too, might have to go negative. Front end will need to be real loose too.

Tires will probably still spin at will under high hp but that will give them a chance at least. Weight at the back end is still highly needed

Hell yeah! I will say when I ditched the torsion bars and did coilover conversion on the front it made a night and day difference in mine. I really want to link my rear, may have to do it this summer!

RMJ_LB7

Feb 25, 2020
California
Hell yeah! I will say when I ditched the torsion bars and did coilover conversion on the front it made a night and day difference in mine. I really want to link my rear, may have to do it this summer!

What coilovers in the front did you go with? I just have some cheap shocks in the front right now.

This is how my rear end is
15844e842cb82487dadf4c6fda835b84.jpg
I am running a fuel lab now not an airdog but that’s the 4-link setup I have

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Who did your link setup?

Id buy custom offset wheels and run very wide tires in the rear. ;)

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Oh, youre that guy! :rofl: Thanks for jogging my (fading) memory.

Glad to see you brought your build over here. Welcome!

RMJ_LB7

Feb 25, 2020
California
Oh, youre that guy! :rofl: Thanks for jogging my (fading) memory.

Glad to see you brought your build over here. Welcome!

Sadly, I am that guy

Thanks, I love COMP D but seems to be a lot of Cummins guys. So far I am really liking what I am seeing here and excited to get to know a lot of the DMAX guys.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Yeah ditch those progressive springs on the coils. Are those shocks dual adjustable (compression and rebound)?

Your gunna want something with sidewall. The more you can get, the better off it will be to grab the road. If you don’t, you have to make the suspension take the hit out of the tires and that’s REAL hard to do on a 2wd, high torque, nose heavy rig.

Mark has qa1 coilovers up front. Dont remember if they were the one’s I recommended or the ones TJ did long ago. The big plus is the spring rate will work better for launching and the valving in the dual adjustments is needed to really help get weight transferred back.

Just out of curiosity, how do you have that axle panhard mount done?