1000 psi water injection

dmaxlover

Mar 17, 2007
WI
Tractor pullers use some sort of belt driven mechanical pump for there 1000+ psi water injection.

I also thought I just seen some sort of new nitrous system that uses a separate tank (filled with ???) to empty the entire contents of the bottle of nitrous, at full pressure. For the life of me, I can't remember what it's called.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Its a pusher system. They have been around for probably 15 years but have been reinvented latly. They do work well if the rules let you run it.

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Try this, fill a N2O bottle with water, then charge it with N2O or even Nitrogen or oxygen. Stand bottle straight up so the straw will only take water vs. the gas, until empty....

That way with the straw in the tank you will only need 1 bottle....

wonder how long a second belt driven cp3 pump will last pushing water......

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
I am interested, how would you control the water flow with the pump being engine driven?
Bypass valve to provide constant pressure. (included in the link I showed before) Size the pump to supply the intended volume at a given RPM. Like, 2 GPM@2000 RPM or whatever. Need more volume? Change the pulleys to spin the pump faster. Max on these pumps is like 4000 RPM I think.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Try this, fill a N2O bottle with water, then charge it with N2O or even Nitrogen or oxygen. Stand bottle straight up so the straw will only take water vs. the gas, until empty....

That way with the straw in the tank you will only need 1 bottle....

wonder how long a second belt driven cp3 pump will last pushing water......

Bad idea. insufficient overpressure relief if the relief valve is submerged in liquid.

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
I was going to do a hi-psi M/W at some point in time. I have several used power-steering pumps off of BMW's that are very small and light, they produce 110bar of psi :eek: around 1600psi if i remember right! I had planed on using a Parker valve to bleed off psi for regulatory reasons! I had planed on running the pump off of a small starter motor and mount the assembly in the bed with the tank. Could even vary the pump speed by a rheostat or somthing! Should be pretty simple, light and effective. Granted the duty-cycle would be short but that large of a system isn't going to be active but for drag racing/pulling/dyno runs. These BMW pumps outta work just swell but if not, maybe somthing like an actual pump for a pressure washer? I remember seeing Hi-psi systems on a few Mod class pullers running a Haldex elec/mech. pump/motor unit, but pretty big, prolly expensive. I can do mine for low-bucks;) If nothin else, good experiment:D

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I think nitrous is a liquid at 600+ PSI.

In any case, you will want to unscrew the cap and remove the feed tube from inside the bottle. This way, you mount the bottle straight up and get gas instead of liquid.

Killerbee

Got Honey?
The temp way be an issue, but I don't think so. This happens very slowly.

To use the nitrous double duty, it would have to be mounted conventionally, typical pressures are 900 around 80 F. So pointed down, I would need a regulated supply of gas, expanded by a regulator for the water. Don't think it a good idea to mix water and liq N2O.

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
Why not just use a SCBA tank tht we use in the fire dept 3200 psi holds a but load of air light weight and safe ?

Flyinfrenchman

Nov 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
How about using a hydraulic accumulator as your tank... water / meth on one side, and whatever gas you choose on the other. No contamination as gas and liquid are issolated.

Last edited:

chevy_dmax

Apr 30, 2008
Gladstone, MO
Why not just use a SCBA tank tht we use in the fire dept 3200 psi holds a but load of air light weight and safe ?

x2

Methanol reacts with several metals. Not all. Aluminum is the big no-no. IIRC most Stainless is OK.

x2, Methanol and Aluminum is asking for trouble.

How about using a hydraulic accumulator as your tank... water / meth on one side, and whatever gas you choose on the other. No contamination as gas and liquid are issolated.

My thoughts too, W/M tank that is "charged" with scuba tank regulated at any pressure you desire, 1000 psi in this case, up to 3000-3300 psi....

Assumeing you can/want to use 2 tank setup. 3000 psi regulated to 700-1000 psi would last a lot longer and would drop off a lot less over given time...(more of linear output from the W/M tank).

Just country boy throwing change around...

$.02
Bill.