1000 psi water injection

Killerbee

Got Honey?
OK, I am toying with a concept. I want 800-1000 psi but I don't want to use a pump. Here is the concept:

a 900 psi nitrous tank feeding another high pressure fiberglass tank that is full of water/meth mix. The water should emerge under the pressure of the N2O.

Would require some kind of one-way protection, and the small amount of liquid N2O that changes state should not have big heat absorbtion/cold issues. I could be wrong. But this permits a convenient use of both elements in the induction tract under control of the smart controller I will be using.

---Any suggestions or obvious deterrents I haven't thought of?

Killerbee

Got Honey?
That is a good comment. It's the bases you don't cover that get posthumous honors.

I suppose solubility is a non-issue, unless an undesireable property or compound is formed.

I figured perhaps somebody already tried this and was awarded some postumous honor. I am not that proud.:rofl: nor in a hurry to end up on Darwins list.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I've thought about this too, but using the air in a spare tire, like a VW beetle's windshield washer. 80PSI should be plenty, without the questions raised at the races concerning bottles.

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Why not just run a hi-psi pump? If its heat build-up your worried about, run the pressurized mix through a chiller, like a cool can concept, somthin ive been wanting to try myself:D

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
N2O would work but it is rather expensive. Also if the truck is used in some from of competition it might cause a fuss. Straight N or even better CO2 would be a much cheaper choice. Also both are commonly avalible at welder supply shops. Far easier to get then N20.

The trouble with all those is the supply runs out. I like the idea of a high pressure pump set up much better.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Plumbing a bottle is much simpler (and cheaper) for proof of concept than rigging a High Pressure Pump. At least with that high of a pressure rating.

Turbotug

BEER SLAYER
Sep 3, 2006
Phoenix
I have CO2 and N tanks and regulators it you'd like to give it a whirl with that first..

IMO, CO2 would be best, they last longer than N. More bang for the buck.

Killerbee

Got Honey?
Unless I stumble on a gotchya, I think the nitrous route is the way to go, notwithstanding the racer regulations. I will eventually be using both, and the usage of the N2O as a propellant for water should be miniscule, limited to the volume of water/meth used.

I need a tank I can fill with water? I can get a fiberglass one.

Killerbee

Got Honey?
My guess would be a HP regulator......maybe even a variable one that referenced boost

quoting above reasons for not using a pump...

complexity.

Seems overboard to me.

OK, 2 tanks. One liquid nitrous at 900 psi. One water/meth. Plug the nitrous in to it, you have 2 tanks at 900 psi. If I uses a one way valve of some sort, as water is used, gaseous N2O should replace it. I guess that would require some type of anti-siphon.

Honestly, I don't know if this will work or not. My sense is that the expansion cooling will not be enough to freeze anything in the water tank.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
NOS in a tank

Figerglass will not work with NOS. NOS makes its own pressure form temp. If you have 1 pound or 100 the pressure will be the same if the temp is the same. At 72* you will have around 900 psi. Why not just inject the nos and put it to a good:D use! It really will drop your IAT a LOT. How much water(gallons) do the big time pullers run in a single pass down the track? I like the idea of compressed tank for the psi but getting a tank to hold water(that you can put it in) and also holding the psi is going to be tough. Jeff

Killerbee

Got Honey?
Figerglass will not work with NOS.

Why not ?

For me, water/meth is mainly for it's flame front inhibiting effect, offsetting the ignition advancing characteristics of N2O. I am working on the premise that the correct proportions of each will require no timing adjustment once dialed in. It's a shot.:)

I am doing water pre-compressor, N2O pre-plenum. I don't want ice drops hitting the compressor.:rofl: