1000 psi water injection

keith2500hd

MOTORKILLER
Jul 20, 2008
Burlington,iowa
what chemical reaction(acidic) would you get from N2O embedding into H2O/Meth and its effect on tank and components(hoses nozzle). most dive tanks are aluminum now or steel, some are carbon fibre but $$. how about S/S foam fire extinguisher or S/S keg, modify metal(S/S) keg tap, use compressed air to move liquid. hi pressure sounds good, but might cause gas pockets and flow stalling with excess pressure pushing fluid thru hose and fittings. perfect setup would be pressure compensated air regulator to provide pressure that will atomize liquid consistantly. example; 80psi to atomize @ atmospheric pressure, 5# airbox - 85psi discharge pressure, 20# airbox - 100psi discharge. P-47 Thunderbolt system used barometric compensator, they spent alot of time and money to design, British Mesquito bomber used nitrogen to push N2O in its nitrous system(total use system)

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Co2 would not work. If the H20 runs dry and the Co2 is inroduced to the engine, it would kill the motor.

Sounds kinda what they have been doing with N20. I think it's nitrogen that is forced into the N20 bottle to keep PSI where needed. I forget the name of the system, I'll look it up.

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
Methanol reacts with several metals. Not all. Aluminum is the big no-no. IIRC most Stainless is OK.

Ive never had a problem with methanol and aluminum. I have ran strait methanol from an aluminum fuel cell, no bladder and also have an aluminum inline fuel filter??

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Here is a MSDS for Methanol. Note the do not store warning.

My understanding is that anodized aluminum is much less vulnerable to the corrosive affects. The best practice is to simply avoid bringing the two together.

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
Co2 would not work. If the H20 runs dry and the Co2 is inroduced to the engine, it would kill the motor.

Sounds kinda what they have been doing with N20. I think it's nitrogen that is forced into the N20 bottle to keep PSI where needed. I forget the name of the system, I'll look it up.

Yes it is nitrogen

I know NANO-Nitrous makes a kit.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Check on the solubility of nitrous in water. Some gases dissolve aggressively in water; chlorine and ammonia are just two.

use a diaphragm tank..(think water presure tank on a house setup) nitrous on on side water/meth on the other... that way you dont risk dissolving or put n20 in a water system.

Blueox03

Aug 12, 2006
Jackson County, MS
Hey mike how about using a scuba or scba tank? I use a 4500 PSI SCBA tank to drive my air tools. You could use that to pressurize a submerged siphon tube liquid tank...

ROGUE GTS

Apr 30, 2008
With how much water you're going to blast into it, I think you would need a couple gallon reservoir. At that point, finding one that will take 1000psi is a bit of a stretch, and hell I wouldn't want to stand next to it.

Beyond that, at that pressure given the volume change, you'll need a substantial amount of any gas in a cylinder on board to maintain consistent pressure. With a decent shot and a bottle heater a standard nitrous setup in a 10# bottle loses a couple hundred PSI in a run.

Why THAT much pressure? You can get a >5ug "fog" at far lower pressures with the right nozzle. From my experience that's about where you want to be particle size wise to keep from eating up compressor wheels.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Even at 90% methanol, the corrosion rate is very slow. Remember most R/C engines are made from Aluminum.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
This is an old thread but the closest one I could find to posting my question.
If a guy wanted in inject h20 or h2o/meth pre innercooler on a big boost engine, how would you get the setup to work properly given you have to overcome 100+psi of boost? Plumb the tank with the the boost line to equalize the pressure or am I missing something?

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
This is an old thread but the closest one I could find to posting my question.
If a guy wanted in inject h20 or h2o/meth pre innercooler on a big boost engine, how would you get the setup to work properly given you have to overcome 100+psi of boost? Plumb the tank with the the boost line to equalize the pressure or am I missing something?

Well since the water tank is upstream of your pump you shouldn't need to worry about it. Worst case you run a check valve on the pump discharge line to the inlet of where you want to pump and then make sure your pump can push against 100psi.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Why do you want to inject "pre-intercooler"

And it wont be a problem as long as you inject with plenty of pressure.

150-200 psi like most of the aftermarket kits have isn't enough, even for a low boost system in my opinion.;)

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
I understand all of that, what do the pumps on the new set up put out for psi? Had an old 2 stage snow on my 02 GMC and quite frankly didn't work with a shit.

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Maybe look at somthin more like what mod class sled pullers run? IIRC they run real high psi stuff like 1000+. I think i remember seein Scheids old truck witha giant Haldex pump. Those guys do run like 10 million inj nozzles though:spit:
Even with a new style 250psi pump, @ 100psi boost= 150 injecton pressure, not so great? Ive wondered if an electric driven pressure washer pump would work? You can tune the psi output on some of them. They make real high pressures, even lesser ones are over 1000psi.

Just an idea:thumb:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
So ytou have to have a troy bilt pressure washer on your bed and a 25' hose to reach to your engine bay? red, green or black nozzel?? :rofl::rofl: