how much to build your motor

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
If you are committed to use stock rods, shotpeening won't hurt, and we even shotpeened stock VW rods for "el cheapo" engines, simply because it's very inexpensive and does help stop cracks from starting on the big end.

But on rods that bend on the "beam" instead of cracking, especially if they are forged to begin with, there is no way the bending will stop. The treatment doesn't go deep enough to really do anything.

When chucking a rod can cost you thousands, if you are tearing the whole engine down, it's not good economy to leave the stock rods inside.

I couldn't agree more. One of my friends "cummapart" rods let loose in the 800hp range. I told him I could build him twins that could blow his motor;) My face looked like this :D when it let loose at a brush party. Now I know my twins didn't "blow" the motor, but 100 psi couldnt have helped

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
I know of someone that bought a Scheid Super Street motor for the 2008 season. It did not come with Cummins rods.;) They told him that the power needed to competitive has jumped so much in the last two years that stock rods are borderline.

I know of more than one Cummins around here that spit rods at less than 1000hp this year.

Hell I have a buddy that last month windowed the block in his 05 Cummin Dodge. Truck was stock never tuned. It pulled a trailer all its life but never had any kind of power adder on it. It was rebuilt with forged marine rods.

But to the opposite side of things. nwpadmax has been pulling with a big turbo and dual fuelers for almost three seasons on a stock LB7. Truck runs hard and is some how still together.:D

codyn

Aug 26, 2007
urbana ohio
I know of someone that bought a Scheid Super Street motor for the 2008 season. It did not come with Cummins rods.;) They told him that the power needed to competitive has jumped so much in the last two years that stock rods are borderline.

I know of more than one Cummins around here that spit rods at less than 1000hp this year.

Hell I have a buddy that last month windowed the block in his 05 Cummin Dodge. Truck was stock never tuned. It pulled a trailer all its life but never had any kind of power adder on it. It was rebuilt with forged marine rods.

But to the opposite side of things. nwpadmax has been pulling with a big turbo and dual fuelers for almost three seasons on a stock LB7. Truck runs hard and is some how still together.:D

ok im wrong you can't make power with stock cummins rods in a built motor. :rolleyes:.

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
You sure can make power with them. You can make power with stock dmax rods to. Just not for long.:rofl: If your going to spend money on a race engine. Buy the best bottomend parts you can. Use studs, a girdle, Billet rods, and so on. The best money you will ever spend is in the bottomend. Every year it takes more power to competitive. Give youself room to grow. You will want more later.

codyn

Aug 26, 2007
urbana ohio
You sure can make power with them. You can make power with stock dmax rods to. Just not for long.:rofl: If your going to spend money on a race engine. Buy the best bottomend parts you can. Use studs, a girdle, Billet rods, and so on. The best money you will ever spend is in the bottomend. Every year it takes more power to competitive. Give youself room to grow. You will want more later.

ill make sure i will think of that the time i have a set of the cummins rods fail :cruch:. have any more pointers i need to know:D

hdd-max

Apr 30, 2008
ill make sure i will think of that the time i have a set of the cummins rods fail :cruch:. have any more pointers i need to know:D

Nobody is doubting the cummins rod is strong, stronger than ours for sure, but they are not bullet proof. I have also seen several come apart at ~800hp. Like Johnboy was saying you may as well spend the money if you are building it and do something with the rods.

Dockboy

Mar 5, 2008
Dockboy is his own worst enemy. He spent all that money on turbos and bolt ons but never took care of the bottomend. I dont care about the timing thing. What killed his cummins was his own stupidity. He needed to open up the clearence and put good rods in the bottom. That is why I tease him about painting the block. I was told by a very wise engine builder that painting the block was one of those details a good builder does. When you dont see the attention to detail of painting the block you can be pretty sure there is lack of attention inside the block. Once again he proved correct. When you build an engine especailly on a budget you focus on the bottomend. You can always bolt on better topend parts later.

Johnboy,

It helps to know your facts before spouting off at the mouth:rolleyes:

The unpainted/rusty block that you speak of and that the piston seized in the bore in causing the rod to break was a STOCK UNTOUCHED 60K MI SHORT BLOCK:dontknow:

It wasn't "rebuilt" or even gone through. The engine was torn down to the short block merely to visually check things out. No mains removed, no pistons removed.

The new one is fully built and clearanced and by the way, painted:rofl:

partsguy662

blowup doll salesman
Aug 14, 2006
Johnboy,

The unpainted/rusty block that you speak of and that the piston seized in the bore in causing the rod to break was a STOCK UNTOUCHED 60K MI SHORT BLOCK:dontknow:

It wasn't "rebuilt" or even gone through. The engine was torn down to the short block merely to visually check things out. No mains removed, no pistons removed.

.....you forgot to mention that you have the unique ability to break anything if given enough time, sir.. :rofl:

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
Johnboy,

Maybe i missed something, but didnt he say you had a stock lower end???? Pistons seized huh, yea.... thats what i would say too.:rofl:

Dockboy

Mar 5, 2008
Pistons seized huh, yea.... thats what i would say too.:rofl:

I said piston numbnuts..........and that is EXACTLY what happened.
DSC00257.JPG

DSC00259.JPG

DSC00258.JPG

And this is for you Johnboy:rofl:
1020082110.jpg

Dockboy

Mar 5, 2008
Oh, and a tech tip: If you score the concrete and keep it wet while it cures, it will crack less!

You're welcome!
WTF are you trying to say Pat?

If you are insinuating about the block being filled..............you are mistaken.

If you are trying to talk about finishing flatwork, you are barking up the wrong tree!!:rofl: I owned a Masonry and Concrete business for more than 20 years and use to pour and finish over 6000 yrds of concrete a year:eek::rolleyes:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
WTF are you trying to say Pat?

If you are insinuating about the block being filled..............you are mistaken.

If you are trying to talk about finishing flatwork, you are barking up the wrong tree!!:rofl: I owned a Masonry and Concrete business for more than 20 years and use to pour and finish over 6000 yrds of concrete a year:eek::rolleyes:

:hello:

Lighten up. :rolleyes:

While my comedy ain't great, it's not that bad either. :D

No, I know your block ain't filled with concrete. It's a running joke.