01-10 steering box redhead ,PSC ,OEM

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
The first replacement came from RA and it started leaking after 10K. The second replacement from RA lasted 13K. Got tired of this and the alignment shop was becoming a good friend. I installed a red top 3 years ago and I now have 45K on it and still going strong.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
I think it also is dependent on use, tire size, and other "supporting" modificiations. My Redtop on my 06 started leaking after something like 2 years, but I was running 35's and doing some occasional mild off roading but mainly stressing it on the street. It was still tight when I sold it after 2.5 years. It had full Kryptonite steering but I don't think I got the PISK to work.

My Lee box on my 02 2500 Burb was tight and didn't leak the entire 3 years I had it, but I ran stock tire size with DmaxStore tie rods.

I still haven't decided what I'll eventually do with my 04, the box weeps just a small amount, but still feels fine enough that it's not a priority right now. I'm leaning towards going back to Lee with just my stock box, or if I can find these 6 bolt top boxes used/core I'll probably send that back to Lee.

zparker686

Nov 12, 2014
Maine
So i got the 6 bolt rockauto box in. I also did a LMM pump and borgensen shaft. Its tight, and the amount of effort to steer is so much less it almost feels wrong. Im not running huge tires just 265/75/16. Its worlds better than the stuff I just replaced. I'm definitely happy, but I haven't used any other boxes to compare it to, so I can't say if its better than a redhead or bluetop.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Cool. One thing that confuses me though - the post says 01-10, but I’m reading the 2008 has different part numbers. Will the big box fit my LMM? FWIW the blue top felt great, but my stock box had over 100k when i swapped, so it isn’t a fair comparison. Since it only lasted a short time, I’m leaning heavily toward the big box. Same pitman arm I ASSume too?

04chase

Mar 28, 2008
I've been running the 6 bolt box for some while now. I originally posted about it from PSC. I am also running their p.s. pump . I say its still as tight as the first day and I think the pump isn't needed (if it actually changes anything pressure wise ???) . The steering is really effortless. on the highway even with a fox steering stabilizer I feel it could use another 20% more resistance. Better than stock by 100%. Running 295/60/20

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Reactions: zparker686

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Cool. One thing that confuses me though - the post says 01-10, but I’m reading the 2008 has different part numbers. Will the big box fit my LMM? FWIW the blue top felt great, but my stock box had over 100k when i swapped, so it isn’t a fair comparison. Since it only lasted a short time, I’m leaning heavily toward the big box. Same pitman arm I ASSume too?
I only see The 6 bolt Box as being listed fitting 99 - 2006 or 2007 classic.
Not sure what changed on the 2007 New Body style trucks.

That being said, You need to get the correct box to match the pitman you have.
32 spline or 33 spline

N503-0153 Shows a 33 Spline and 3.188 Turns Lock to lock
N503-0178 Shows a 32 spline and 3.25 Turns Lock to lock

And for those that forgot or dont know the difference for each spline count.

33 Spline has 3 flats
32 Spline has 4 flats

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I didn’t know if the output was larger diameter- good to know the same pitman arm will work. Thanks. I just need to figure out now if it will fit the lmm. Hopefully someone knows.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I called BBB just now. No 6 bolt offered in their 2008 and up. But the guy (very helpful) in tech said that he couldn’t see why the 6 bolt wouldn’t work just fine in the 08. I found the gm bulletin for the older trucks that want to run the 08 box, and there doesn’t seem to be any issue as long as you have three bolt mounting already. I think this is a go. Tuesday I am going to stop by a shop with some obs frames and compare. Likely I’ll order the 6 bolt that night!

zparker686

Nov 12, 2014
Maine
I've been running the 6 bolt box for some while now. I originally posted about it from PSC. I am also running their p.s. pump . I say its still as tight as the first day and I think the pump isn't needed (if it actually changes anything pressure wise ???) . The steering is really effortless. on the highway even with a fox steering stabilizer I feel it could use another 20% more resistance. Better than stock by 100%. Running 295/60/20

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Yeah my only "complaint" is a little bit more resistance wouldn't be a bad thing. I can steer the thing wherever I need it to go with 1 finger. It feels weird compared to what it used to be.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Yeah my only "complaint" is a little bit more resistance wouldn't be a bad thing. I can steer the thing wherever I need it to go with 1 finger. It feels weird compared to what it used to be.
See, that's exactly what I want in a steering box. My 82 Silverado is just like that, and it's the best. This gives me a lot of hope for this box. I might have to pick one up, even though my Red Top is holding up fine. It's just super stiff in parking lots.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

valleyduramax

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa ON Canada

[TD valign="top"]
So i got the 6 bolt rockauto box in. I also did a LMM pump and borgensen shaft. Its tight, and the amount of effort to steer is so much less it almost feels wrong. Im not running huge tires just 265/75/16. Its worlds better than the stuff I just replaced. I'm definitely happy, but I haven't used any other boxes to compare it to, so I can't say if its better than a redhead or bluetop.

Just curious but when you received the new 6 bolt box, did it come with the pitman arm nut??? Mine did not have one for whatever reason.

[/TD]

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Damn I almost regret rebuilding the box in my LBZ now. While it’s still tight it is a little stiff especially when I daily drive my 2015 and then get in my LBZ

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
I called PSC yesterday and the guy that I talked to didn’t really have much to say about the box, other than just what’s available on their website.

he said that PSC partnered up with the OEM box manufacturer to custom spec this one out, but I find that hard to believe. Of all the platforms to spend time developing, why the GMT800 over a decade past its time?

I still feel this box has to be from another application that just happens to work on our trucks

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I called PSC yesterday and the guy that I talked to didn’t really have much to say about the box, other than just what’s available on their website.

he said that PSC partnered up with the OEM box manufacturer to custom spec this one out, but I find that hard to believe. Of all the platforms to spend time developing, why the GMT800 over a decade past its time?

I still feel this box has to be from another application that just happens to work on our trucks
It's from a 3rd gen Dodge Ram if I'm not mistaken. They make an adapter for the input abd get a custom pitman shaft to match the splines.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
rock shipped it today and FedEx says it will be here tomorrow night. Hopefully I can throw it in over the weekend.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
It's from a 3rd gen Dodge Ram if I'm not mistaken. They make an adapter for the input abd get a custom pitman shaft to match the splines.
Found one that looks like it could be it, all the other ones are 4 bolt. Interesting.
1CE02301-CD92-408F-AA01-8CA25FBBE072.png

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
FedEx rescheduled to tomorrow, and I’ll be busy breaking in my buddy’s new built engine with fingers pistons :):):) Maybe Sunday I’ll get some pics to share.