01-10 steering box redhead ,PSC ,OEM

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
I’ve tried calling psc and even emailing them and have never talked to or received a message from them. I could see how warranty could be a drag if this is how difficult it is to get a hold of someone to talk to. Rare parts told me to give psc a call when I was buying their tie rods as they said they were the supplier to psc for the idler and pitman arm they sell.

But I too am curious if anyone has had luck with the rock auto ones. Otherwise I may just get a rebuild kit for mine since it’s just starting to get wet around pitman shaft seal.

Anyone play with the pitman shaft adjustment to get a better feel other than factory recommended spec? Just curious

RitzBlitz

May 20, 2010
Ritzville, Wa
I’m also interested in how this unit worked out since the end shaft seal in my gearbox is blown. I looked up the rock auto part number posted in the first page and it looks like this beefier unit was used in various Chevy/gmc vehicles.

But I too am curious if anyone has had luck with the rock auto ones. Otherwise I may just get a rebuild kit for mine since it’s just starting to get wet around pitman shaft seal.

Well we’ll find out- just ordered one. Should be here Monday.

VEfreak

Oct 18, 2018
I’ve tried calling psc and even emailing them and have never talked to or received a message from them. I could see how warranty could be a drag if this is how difficult it is to get a hold of someone to talk to. Rare parts told me to give psc a call when I was buying their tie rods as they said they were the supplier to psc for the idler and pitman arm they sell.

Anyone play with the pitman shaft adjustment to get a better feel other than factory recommended spec? Just curious

I’ve read that trying to get tighter steering through that adjustment will wear out the gearbox rapidly.

04chase

Mar 28, 2008
I would try the rockauto one without hesitating. mine is still tight and holding on strong. i have a redhead here that is decent just needs a rebuild or adjustment.

I takes some getting used to with the quicker ratio but im used to it now. good alignment and its near perfect now.

RitzBlitz

May 20, 2010
Ritzville, Wa
I would try the rockauto one without hesitating. mine is still tight and holding on strong. i have a redhead here that is decent just needs a rebuild or adjustment.

I takes some getting used to with the quicker ratio but im used to it now. good alignment and its near perfect now.

I looked on vision’s website and they list lock to lock as 3.2 turns which is the same as what my truck is (with what I assume is the original box). Was there a ratio change? I looked and couldn’t find any threads addressing it.

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
I looked on vision’s website and they list lock to lock as 3.2 turns which is the same as what my truck is (with what I assume is the original box). Was there a ratio change? I looked and couldn’t find any threads addressing it.

I don’t mind lock to lock the same. I’d just like a tighter feeling steering box. Don’t get me wrong, the pisk kit helped with new gm pitman and idler arms. I haven’t even installed my rare parts outer tie rods yet.

RitzBlitz

May 20, 2010
Ritzville, Wa
Update on the rock auto box. Hopefully I just got sent the wrong part. Box is correct but definitely is not what I was expecting- looks to be remanned as well.

Attachments

• 5C295D85-90A9-4301-8EFD-1A88C55A59DF.jpeg
    5C295D85-90A9-4301-8EFD-1A88C55A59DF.jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 5F8F2433-31E7-4C59-8E6B-F5EB179D8E95.jpg
    5F8F2433-31E7-4C59-8E6B-F5EB179D8E95.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 108

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
Update on the rock auto box. Hopefully I just got sent the wrong part. Box is correct but definitely is not what I was expecting- looks to be remanned as well.

Yeah the pitman shaft top plate looks to only have 4 bolts. I thought that PSC box had a 5 bolt.....but yeah hopefully packaged wrong in your case. And with those markings on the body it does definitely look like a reman.

RitzBlitz

May 20, 2010
Ritzville, Wa
Update 2: Received second box- still same issue. Called the manufacturer and they gave me a line about “they have two separate suppliers for cores so it can vary.” Told them that since I am ordering a new box that should not be a concern. They agreed and are looking into and will call me back with a solution. So guess we’ll see what happens.

Edit: They said they do not work with the manufacturer of that housing anymore and can no longer get it. So sounds like the rock auto boxes with only be the oe duty ones.

Last edited:

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Is there an advantage or is one style better than the other on the 3 spline Vs. 4 spline if replacing all the components?

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
A lot of good info here, glad this old thread was brought up.

I’ve tried red head and liked it to start, but it did start to leak after 30k miles and running 35s

blue top is the lead guy spinning off from red head, so they should be very similar but supposedly blue top has better service and maybe better attention to detail

I’ve always been interested in PSCs box, but never heard a review. Sounds great, but the price is kinda steep.

there’s another option out there, Lee Power Steering out of Santa Clarita CA. I had them do my 2500 suburban box and pump. They can change ratio, feedback torque, and do custom honing for oversized bearings as well as add an additional bearing on the spline side of the output shaft. They recommend sending the pump in with the box to have them bench and flow tested together.

I’ll either go with Lee or PSC for my upcoming steering work. Maybe if that PSC box can be found cheap and reman from a parts house I’ll have Lee go through it again.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
A lot of good info here, glad this old thread was brought up.

I’ve tried red head and liked it to start, but it did start to leak after 30k miles and running 35s

blue top is the lead guy spinning off from red head, so they should be very similar but supposedly blue top has better service and maybe better attention to detail

I’ve always been interested in PSCs box, but never heard a review. Sounds great, but the price is kinda steep.

there’s another option out there, Lee Power Steering out of Santa Clarita CA. I had them do my 2500 suburban box and pump. They can change ratio, feedback torque, and do custom honing for oversized bearings as well as add an additional bearing on the spline side of the output shaft. They recommend sending the pump in with the box to have them bench and flow tested together.

I’ll either go with Lee or PSC for my upcoming steering work. Maybe if that PSC box can be found cheap and reman from a parts house I’ll have Lee go through it again.
Rock Auto sells the same box for Less money. It's New from BBB/Vision.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I see that, but a few posts above @RitzBlitz stated he ordered it but a different box came and BBB says they no longer carry them?

does anyone know what they are originally off of?
Probably because it uses the same Number as the Reman box but the New box has an N in front of the part number.

I bet they were mistaken and not paying attention to new Vs. the reman part when they shipped it out.
Several sites still show the BBB/Vision as new and being available.

If it wasn't, you would think that they would inform RockAuto that the New part has been discontinued. They Updated the pricing earlier this year and again recently. There was about a $5 dollar difference a few days ago...
Rock Auto New Box.jpg

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Probably because it uses the same Number as the Reman box but the New box has an N in front of the part number.

I bet they were mistaken and not paying attention to new Vs. the reman part when they shipped it out.
Several sites still show the BBB/Vision as new and being available.

If it wasn't, you would think that they would inform RockAuto that the New part has been discontinued. They Updated the pricing earlier this year and again recently. There was about a $5 dollar difference a few days ago...
View attachment 103940
Interesting. For $150-$170 I'd certainly consider getting one and then sending it straight to Lee for them to do their work to it. I wonder if they would be flexible on their rebuild price since it would be an unused box they are rebuilding. Again, I'd be interested in what this box originally came off of and what pump it was using?

ShopSpecialties

Jun 4, 2008
Grass Range, Montana
I had Blue-Top rebuild one for me and it has been great. Fair price and the turn around was stupid quick. A couple customers of mine have stopped buying from parts stores and switched to Blue-Top with good success.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Interesting. For $150-$170 I'd certainly consider getting one and then sending it straight to Lee for them to do their work to it. I wonder if they would be flexible on their rebuild price since it would be an unused box they are rebuilding. Again, I'd be interested in what this box originally came off of and what pump it was using?

I was looking at his stuff Last night. My box is ok and I have a good used core But I sure do like that Beefier box. Low speed maneuvers suck Esspecially trying to backup a trailer.

I just bought a new pump. I would be curious to have it flow tested and see if it's good or needs work before installing it.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Went to look at getting a box from Rock Auto this morning and as of today, only the new 32 spline shows as an available option for a GMT 800 truck... ironicly they added an AC Delco box but it says remanufactured under the new tab.

I can manually insert the New 33 spline box and it calls it up on Rock Auto and shows I can purchase it.

I was under the impression that the HD's used the 33 Spline with the 3 flats.

I don't know if there is an advantage to 1 shaft design over the other. But I did notice the PPE new offering on its Extreme duty forged pitman arm is only available as a 33 spline with 3 flats.

Attachments

• Rock Auto New Box 6-29-2020.jpg
    Rock Auto New Box 6-29-2020.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Rock Auto New Box 33 spline option 6-29-2020.jpg
    Rock Auto New Box 33 spline option 6-29-2020.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: B1 596