01-10 steering box redhead ,PSC ,OEM

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Is it actually RockAuto fault or a large warehouse that everyone uses or BBB putting the wrong part in the box ?
I believe its an issue at the supplier BBB/Vision.

IMO, They use the same part number for a new and a refurbished part. The only difference being they add an N in front that is supposed to be for the new box.

The supply warehouses don't know the difference and Rock Auto Is just a reseller. Even if you went to a parts store the monkey behind the counter is going to do the same thing. However you might have a better chance of getting them to go directly to the manufacture to get the issue resolved.

Reactions: ShopSpecialties

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
It's the N that must be screwing them up, as you state.

Rock reply:

Dear Mr. Shults,

I attempted to call you about this situation and left a voicemail. We want to apologize that you received an incorrect part twice and for guaranteeing that the reshipment would be correct. We have contacted the manufacturer about this situation. We discovered that they recently had a design change in this part so the more recent stock have 6 bolts. However, both the 4 bolt and 6 bolt parts are both correct for this part, and we still have both in our inventory so we cannot guarantee which one you will receive. Because of this, we are offering a full refund for the part. We cannot offer another reshipment because we cannot guarantee which part will be sent. Again, we are sorry for this whole situation.

I will send a copy of the return instructions to your email. You will receive your refund within 3 business days of the part arriving back at our warehouse.

Thank you,

Cara
RockAuto Customer Service

Reactions: ShopSpecialties

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Just hung up! I have tons to share!!!! Give me a few and I'll be back. Spoiler - BBB refuses to sell to Rock and they are going through a 3rd party. I am returning my box and I have info to share on how to possibly get it cheap AF.

Reactions: DAVe3283

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Sorry for the delay.

I spoke to BBB at length. They refuse to sell to Rock Auto. They had nothing nice to say about Rock - including comments about how when there’s a problem, you’re on your own - no one will talk to you. So, there is a 3rd party that buys from him and then supplies to Rock. That’s all the guy does is buy from BBB and sell to Rock - sweet gig!

He furthered that his advice is to go to Napa or to O’Riley and pay a little more. He said you also get a lifetime warranty and a live person behind the counter.

Then we talked some about the box. He said they were crippled by unrebuildable cores because f250,Ram, and dmax OEM boxes are in his opinion under built, and generally so badly worn that he has to toss them. So they developed their own box out of necessity.

Another bit he shared is that when they don’t have enough cores, they are forced to put new 6bolt gearboxes in the reman boxes instead of the remans!!! His best advice was to go to Napa (since I don’t have O’Riley) and seek a store with lots of inventory of his remans and ask to check boxes!! If you see a 6 bolt in a reman box - buy it - it’s a new box!

My buddy is calling in some favors tomorrow so I can hopefully find a 6 bolt in a reman box ;)

Napa part numbers are: 39-1120n for the new 6 bolt, and 39-1120 is the reman.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Sorry for the delay.

I spoke to BBB at length. They refuse to sell to Rock Auto. They had nothing nice to say about Rock - including comments about how when there’s a problem, you’re on your own - no one will talk to you. So, there is a 3rd party that buys from him and then supplies to Rock. That’s all the guy does is buy from BBB and sell to Rock - sweet gig!

He furthered that his advice is to go to Napa or to O’Riley and pay a little more. He said you also get a lifetime warranty and a live person behind the counter.

Then we talked some about the box. He said they were crippled by unrebuildable cores because f250,Ram, and dmax OEM boxes are in his opinion under built, and generally so badly worn that he has to toss them. So they developed their own box out of necessity.

Another bit he shared is that when they don’t have enough cores, they are forced to put new 6bolt gearboxes in the reman boxes instead of the remans!!! His best advice was to go to Napa (since I don’t have O’Riley) and seek a store with lots of inventory of his remans and ask to check boxes!! If you see a 6 bolt in a reman box - buy it - it’s a new box!

My buddy is calling in some favors tomorrow so I can hopefully find a 6 bolt in a reman box ;)

Napa part numbers are: 39-1120n for the new 6 bolt, and 39-1120 is the reman.

Good Luck!
Is that a 4 slot or 3 slot Box?

I need a 3 slot.

The only issue is that it's not a little more, it's a lot more...

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I can check the reman they have at the local store but I am guessing it's going to be a 4 bolt Reman. I doubt they will have more than 1 or 2 in there inventory.

It shows they have a new one at a store 25 miles or so from me. But it's easier to just have them send it to my store If I can get a price adjustment.

Attachments

• Napa Box reman.jpg
    Napa Box reman.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 60

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Price is crazy I know. My buddy said the over the counter price is still over $700. He’s got to wait until Monday to get me the actual price through his employer. So I’m waiting for now - I’ll keep updating.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Reman one for me priced at 270 for part number provided! Not bad! That was the 39-1120.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Just make sure that you go through the remans and find a 6 bolt. If not, then it is just a reman from a core and I wouldn't bother.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Update 5 mins ago:

Dear Mr. Shults,

Now we understand the problem. Thank you for your detective work. We contacted BBB again to confirm this information, and they told us part N5030153 should only have 6 bolts, like you discovered. Our warehouse staff are inspecting inventory now to put a stop to this problem. Misboxed parts are a manufacturer problem and we're enlisting our distributor's help to ensure BBB fixes their packaging process.

Thank you,

Cara

I replied and asked if they will now fulfill my order! I put out a lot of effort on their behalf... they should show a little appreciation and get me the right F'n box.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Update 5 mins ago:

Dear Mr. Shults,

Now we understand the problem. Thank you for your detective work. We contacted BBB again to confirm this information, and they told us part N5030153 should only have 6 bolts, like you discovered. Our warehouse staff are inspecting inventory now to put a stop to this problem. Misboxed parts are a manufacturer problem and we're enlisting our distributor's help to ensure BBB fixes their packaging process.

Thank you,

Cara

I replied and asked if they will now fulfill my order! I put out a lot of effort on their behalf... they should show a little appreciation and get me the right F'n box.

LOL, I am getting a replacement one from the San Bernardo Warehouse this time. Expecting another miss boxed item. Its marked as shipped, but only shows the tracking number was entered. No Movement and it was scheduled for delivery later today. Maybe they stopped the shipment knowing there is now an issue?

Ironically, I put my return as miss boxed. I also put a note in the box explaining the difference.

Funny how they don't buy direct from BBB/Vision but they expect them to fix the issue...

FWIW: I ordered the same box with the 3 flats N5030153. I wonder if they are looking at the history of the part and seeing that you ordered one and had an issue and now I ordered one and had the same issue.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Might be giving them too much credit. Lol. I hope to hell they take care of me and I can put this to bed and get my truck back on the road without marking her trail home. Lol

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
If everyone else's price wasn't so High or if they would give a core credit for the old box I would Be happy to go that route but since there 2x the price It seems better to at-least per sue the Rock Auto avenue first.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Dear Mr. Shults,

I've changed your refund to a reship because we found a good, correct part.

After two business days have passed, the tracking number will become active, and you will be able to track your package's location on the carrier's website.

You can also view the status of your replacement(s) using our Order Status & Returns page.

For further information, please see our Help pages.

Thank you,

Cara

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Dear Mr. Shults,

I've changed your refund to a reship because we found a good, correct part.

After two business days have passed, the tracking number will become active, and you will be able to track your package's location on the carrier's website.

You can also view the status of your replacement(s) using our Order Status & Returns page.

For further information, please see our Help pages.

Thank you,

Cara
Nice!!!
I hope I get the same. My replacement part Tracking still only shows the Label was created.

Reactions: N2BRK