01-10 steering box redhead ,PSC ,OEM

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Maybe the gentleman at Blue-Top or (i think people have mentioned Lee's) could work some magic on it. Where it is different than OEM, I would call and ask them first.
It has a broken sector shaft that snapped in an accident. Maybe I should contact PSC first. I am sure it can be had since they sell the boxes.

zparker686

Nov 12, 2014
Maine
It has a broken sector shaft that snapped in an accident. Maybe I should contact PSC first. I am sure it can be had since they sell the boxes.
Yeah that definitely makes it tricky. You may also have some luck with BBB/VISION-OE as well. I'm going to try to get in touch with them and clarify what NEW vs reman actually means. Ill try to remember to ask about replacement parts like the sector shaft as well.

zparker686

Nov 12, 2014
Maine
I got the rock auto 6 bolt cover box from them last summer. It was as described on there site when it showed up. Have not got to try it out yet as truck is still down for engine build but definitely not a factory reman as everyone seems to be getting now even if ordering the upgraded unit.
Did your 6 bolt gearbox have the etchings like the one i just got has?

valleyduramax

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa ON Canada
Did your 6 bolt gearbox have the etchings like the one i just got has?
Yep has the paint pen markings on the housing. I am sure those are there as QC when being assembled. Usually to show pieces are torqued or set. I am sure the boxes are brand new units a d quite possibly the exact same box as the PSC just unbranded. Way beefier than stock just by weoght and looks. Should work good i hope anyway!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Reactions: zparker686

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Maybe the gentleman at Blue-Top or (i think people have mentioned Lee's) could work some magic on it. Where it is different than OEM, I would call and ask them first.
Got a Quote to repair the Damaged PSC box from PSC. The shaft is $79 and the rebuild is $250. By the time I purchase it for his asking price I would be over the Cost of getting it from Rockauto Before paying for the shipping to send it to them. Even If I gave him $50 for the box, The Hassle of driving to go pick it up plus fuel makes it not worth my time.... Maybe if one didn't know of Rock Auto's pricing it might seem like a good deal considering what PSC sells it for. They only offer it in a 4 Spline version too as they say it fits a wider range of vehicles.

zparker686

Nov 12, 2014
Maine
So does anyone know what these are actually off of?
No, but I would like to know. I know we enjoy an extensive aftermarket parts selection, but I would be surprised if these boxes were just upgrades made specifically for our trucks. I feel like they come off of some other vehicle. If we could figure that out, it could make getting these things easier/cheaper. I bet these are just like what valleyduramax just said, unbranded version of PSC boxes. They come from somewhere/something. What that may be is the $64,000 question.

zparker686

Nov 12, 2014
Maine
Got a Quote to repair the Damaged PSC box from PSC. The shaft is $79 and the rebuild is $250. By the time I purchase it for his asking price I would be over the Cost of getting it from Rockauto Before paying for the shipping to send it to them. Even If I gave him $50 for the box, The Hassle of driving to go pick it up plus fuel makes it not worth my time.... Maybe if one didn't know of Rock Auto's pricing it might seem like a good deal considering what PSC sells it for. They only offer it in a 4 Spline version too as they say it fits a wider range of vehicles.
Yeah rockauto is definitely the way to go in that case. Don't forget to search for a 5% off code! That brought my box to $399 before shipping/taxes.

Reactions: 1FastBrick

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
No, but I would like to know. I know we enjoy an extensive aftermarket parts selection, but I would be surprised if these boxes were just upgrades made specifically for our trucks. I feel like they come off of some other vehicle. If we could figure that out, it could make getting these things easier/cheaper. I bet these are just like what valleyduramax just said, unbranded version of PSC boxes. They come from somewhere/something. What that may be is the $64,000 question.
Thats precisely what I’m thinking. I’d also be surprised though if PSC had a box manufactured for just them.

I have the same hunch that these are off some other truck or even a medium duty truck.

zparker686

Nov 12, 2014
Maine
Thats precisely what I’m thinking. I’d also be surprised though if PSC had a box manufactured for just them.

I have the same hunch that these are off some other truck or even a medium duty truck.
Yeah I don't think its special for PSC either. I'm also guessing medium duty truck or it's some sort of one off for a specialized vehicle on the GMT 800 platform like an armored vehicle or something. I think I have a fun new project. Find out WTF these come off of.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
I've got a ton to do right now with moving and work, but if I had time I would call PSC and try just asking haha.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
My blue top blew the seals at less than 2 years old, so I'm going to re-read this thread.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Did you get the new Rock Auto box in yet? I'm flipping a coin on whether to get that or send in to blue top and wait for them to rebuild their box. I'm leaning toward RA since I can keep dumping in fluid when I need to drive until it arrives. Bonus - I have a trail to follow to find home again!

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
IMO, I feel like all these various companies Are basically doing a rebuild and testing at a premium Price. That being said, I am sure they are paying better attention to the internal components then say your average parts store rebuilds. If you do enough digging you will find early failures with both Blue and Red top units. I am sure PSC has some too.

If the OEM Box fails on its own, What's being done to improve them from these other companies?

WIth this new 6 Bolt top box, The Sector shaft and its gears are Physically larger. According to the info from PSC The pitman arm and sector shaft on the OEM box flex and cause the lower seal to fail .

That being said, The PSC box has the same QC Paint markings on it. The only Difference is that it has a Serial tag from PSC with there serial number on it.

1594793266241.png

Reactions: zparker686

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
I know Lee has a difference, they hone the box out and change bearing sizes and can even add a 3rd bearing. They can change ratio and torsion bar setting in the box as well.

I’m thinking a 6 bolt top box and having Lee go through it is the ticket, but that’s a decent chunk. Unless we can find what these come off at the junkyard and send in cheap cores to start.

I haven’t had an opportunity to deal with PSC yet. Howe might be another option for a “real” rebuild.

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
Yeah I looked into that Lee rebuild box since they are local as far as state lines go. And yes, you'd drop some serious money into one of his boxes after doing the 3rd bearing with the billet top plate. When on the other hand, the factory box has lasted 180k for me and almost 20 years old. I do know Rare Parts likes the PSC Box as they recommended them to me. But, they make the pitman and idler arms for them so there could be bias there.

ShopSpecialties

Jun 4, 2008
Grass Range, Montana
Some of my customers that switched to Blue-Top are because they were tired of playing Russian Roulette with parts store remans where on numerous occasions they had to install several units before they found a good one. Where in the case of the Blue-Top they were good to go right from the start. They do come with a 1 year unlimited mileage which I think is decent and if you have an issue you get to talk to the actual person that rebuilt it and not some dummy sales person who could care less. I paid $300 for the Blue-Top and comparing that to Rock Auto I would have been in it about $250 ish depending which reman I picked. So for an extra $50 I got a good one ready to go in 1/2 the time.