Duramax electronics

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
How much voltage will the electronics handle? Will they be ok at 19 volts? I'm sure there is some room for more just not sure how much is to much. Thanks Jeff

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
19 volts is pushing it IMHO

I mean everything does have 5 volt and 12 volt regulators on the PCB's, but I still think 19 is a little high. Why?

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Voltage

I would like to run a 16v system on the truck when I get it done. Everything works great on 16v on a race car. Its going to be a race truck only but I would rather not replace stuff from burning it up. Thanks Jeff

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Most of the control circuits should be able to handle 20V or more in a hardware way, but will probably trip with an supply overvoltage above ~18. Typical supply on the truck is ~15V as is.

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
only thing i could think is when running higer voltage is more effciant but if the electrnics arent made to run those curents prettty much usless to up the power imo. like plugging a hair dryer into a 220 outlet weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee pooooooooooffffffffffff:rofl:

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
Also as voltage increases amprage decreases. Wire size is dictated by amperage, so with higher voltage you can run smaller wires.....not that there would be much to gain from doing that:baby:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Also as voltage increases amprage decreases. Wire size is dictated by amperage, so with higher voltage you can run smaller wires.....not that there would be much to gain from doing that:baby:

I realize that as voltage doubles amperage halves, but really, how many amps does an ECM, instrument panel cluster, BCM, and lift pump draw???

The ECM is an electronic device, and like most electronic devices, likes 5vdc. Whats it going to care if its regulators see 14 volts vs 19 volts......??????? So we bump the voltage up to 19vdc, great, we just cut the ECM's current draw from 2 amps down to 1.5. :D

I just dont understand the logic behind this I guess is what im trying to say. Whats wrong with the way the truck runs now?? Maybe on a race car it gives it hotter spark or something? I dunno.

ben

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
I realize that as voltage doubles amperage halves, but really, how many amps does an ECM, instrument panel cluster, BCM, and lift pump draw???

The ECM is an electronic device, and like most electronic devices, likes 5vdc. Whats it going to care if its regulators see 14 volts vs 19 volts......??????? So we bump the voltage up to 19vdc, great, we just cut the ECM's current draw from 2 amps down to 1.5. :D

I just dont understand the logic behind this I guess is what im trying to say. Whats wrong with the way the truck runs now?? Maybe on a race car it gives it hotter spark or something? I dunno.

ben

I agree with you, I don't see where the benifit would be worth the cost and time. But when I was speaking of volts and amps I was more talking about the starter, grid heater, and other things that draw some serious power. With electronics there is no point in it that I see:hug:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I am by no means an electrical genius, but as I understand ohm's law, Voltage = Amps * Resistance. To me, if resistance stays the same and voltage increases, then amperage must also increase, or am I missing something?

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
I am by no means an electrical genius, but as I understand ohm's law, Voltage = Amps * Resistance. To me, if resistance stays the same and voltage increases, then amperage must also increase, or am I missing something?

Not sure how to explane it but that is not the case. As voltage goes up amps go down. Think of a motor at home that will run on 110 or 220. If it draws 20 amps on 110 it will only draw 10 amps on 220

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Voltage

Has anyone ever looked at what or trucks use(amp draw)at high rpm? EVERYTHING on these trucks use power. Everything electric works best just before it burns:rofl: up. So if I can figure out the point just below that I think it will help. Could it not hurt to have a little higher voltage with the injectors firing at 5000 rpm? With electric fans, they blow harder, Lift pumps push more, starts easier with lower compression. If it helps any at all it will be worth it to me. Just wait until I break the ally and show up with a 2.10 400 turbo and a drop box in it.

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
Has anyone ever looked at what or trucks use(amp draw)at high rpm? EVERYTHING on these trucks use power. Everything electric works best just before it burns:rofl: up. So if I can figure out the point just below that I think it will help. Could it not hurt to have a little higher voltage with the injectors firing at 5000 rpm? With electric fans, they blow harder, Lift pumps push more, starts easier with lower compression. If it helps any at all it will be worth it to me. Just wait until I break the ally and show up with a 2.10 400 turbo and a drop box in it.

Do it! :beavisnbutthead:

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal

correct the more voatage you use the less amps you have to use there for makeing it more efficant. I have large equipment for my business tht runs on 3phase 220or440 when i run it on 220 it takes 40 amps to run when i run it on 440 it takes 15

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Fuel delivery is based on 2 things:

Pressure and timing.

Pressure is mechanically driven and programmable. Upping the volts will have no effect. Zero volts makes max output.

Injector Timing involves latency (lag, delay). So upping the voltage of an injector will make it open a hair quicker, but close at the same speed, since pressure closes it. So it would APPEAR to deliver more fuel. But you could just as easy advance the timing a bit and get identical results.

Maybe on a gas motor you could get a hotter spark, but on a diesel, it's going to do next to nothing.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Upping the voltage will do you no good for any of the controls. They regulate the supply voltage down to a standard regardless of the input. The only exception being the glow plugs might glow a little hotter.

Folks are mixing the two concepts with regards to Amps. The two formulas that describe things are:

Volts = Ohms * Amps (Ohms law)

and

Watts = Volts * Amps

Anything with a fixed resistance will draw MORE amps at a higher voltage. However, you also can get more power out of the device with more voltage. For instance, an electric motor. That is, till you burn it out.

The case of the 3 phase motor is a little mis-leading. Though the amps may be lower, the motor uses and produces the same power at either voltage. To switch between the voltages you have to configure the winding for that voltage, thus changing the internal resistance. The advantage of the higher voltage is that the wires feeding the motor can be of a smaller gauge with the higher voltage. With the price of copper what it is, this can be huge in applications using 00 or larger wire.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Upping the voltage will do you no good for any of the controls. They regulate the supply voltage down to a standard regardless of the input. The only exception being the glow plugs might glow a little hotter.

Folks are mixing the two concepts with regards to Amps. The two formulas that describe things are:

Volts = Ohms * Amps (Ohms law)

and

Watts = Volts * Amps

Anything with a fixed resistance will draw MORE amps at a higher voltage. However, you also can get more power out of the device with more voltage. For instance, an electric motor. That is, till you burn it out.

The case of the 3 phase motor is a little mis-leading. Though the amps may be lower, the motor uses and produces the same power at either voltage. To switch between the voltages you have to configure the winding for that voltage, thus changing the internal resistance. The advantage of the higher voltage is that the wires feeding the motor can be of a smaller gauge with the higher voltage. With the price of copper what it is, this can be huge in applications using 00 or larger wire.
Thanks for the explanation, Fingers.