Duramax electronics

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Well our Pro-Mod Nova has a 16v system in it, but it dosnt power much either, very basic stuff, gauges, lighting, starter, an a solinoid for the parachute release an thats it. It dosnt even help with ignition really, cause its magneto system. The main big advantage is for the starter, as would be for a diesel, especially a hard to start diesel. Turbo-start had 2 diff choices last i looked... a dedacated 16v battery and a combo 12v-16v battery. It has three posts. run all the normal stuff of the 12v post and just run the starter off the 16v post and then a common ground. Dunno on the charging of it? We have a special 16v charger for our Nova (no alternator). I almost think i remember someone with a alternator made for 16v systems, you can always regulate that 16v down:D

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
I'm not sure the injector control module has regulators in it. There is a table for reducing the injector events based on battery voltage.

There is? I don't see it in EFI. Could you enlighten me?

I have not cracked open a FICM to see what is inside. It acts like a simple charge pump system.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I'm not sure the injector control module has regulators in it. There is a table for reducing the injector events based on battery voltage.

Pat im 99% sure thats only on gas motors, because the injectors are simply driven off the 12volt PCM fuse, they arent regulated by any other means. Plus, how could a dmax FICM possibly function if it did not have any regulators in it? The injectors need incredibly clean power, not to mention there is a step up process to 48 or 96 volts....that in itself needs some form of regulation. ;)

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
It acts like a simple charge pump system.

thats how I understand it...some dc-dc inverters, FET's to drive the injectors, and a CAN data link controller chip.

Diesel Power magazine had a cutaway of one a while back.

Im not even sure why it really needs to talk on the CAN bus, other than for state of health info. All of the injector signals are transmitted from the ECM via discrete "control" wires, IIRC.

EDIT: nvmind I take that back about needing the high speed data bus. It probabyl needs real-time stuff like CKP and CPS info. Does anyone know if it does ANY thinking or adjustment on its own? Or is it 100% at the mercy of the ECM? Id be curious to crack open and LB7 and LLY FICM side by side to see if there are any noticible differences, extra regulators, filters, etc..

Last edited: