Which Polymer Pistol?

matthew86

Mar 16, 2018
Eastern WA
You shoot the Sig SRT much?

I went through a phase where I was shooting my sigs a good bit. I haven’t had one out in a while though. I shot my 226 a season of two types of competition. When I picked up my 229 with the standard trigger and shot it, I felt like it took forever to fire a follow up shot lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matthew86

Mar 16, 2018
Eastern WA
The 2.0 trigger is better than the 1.0 variant for sure. Infact everything about the 2.0 is better than the 1.0 in every way. I primarily shoot 1911 .45 including uspsa single stack cdivision and I have to say the stock trigger on this m&p feels more like a 1911 trigger than any other gun I have shot. The only thing stopping me from doing an Apex trigger on this gun is it's my carry gun and I don't believe in upgraded triggers on a carry gun.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I’ll keep my eyes open for one to shoot. I don’t like messing with carry gun triggers outside of factory option modifications myself.

matthew86

Mar 16, 2018
Eastern WA
James - the 1911 is pretty much the gold standard that all other triggers are compared to. The design of the trigger lets you pull straight back instead of any rotating angle like many guns, and even the cheapest 1911 trigger flat out rocks :) I LOVE me my 1911 guns :) My fav that I own is an STI Sentry in 45acp. All forged frame and slide, with tool steel internals. I'm drooling. LOL.

For the unsupported Glock 10mm comment, I considered a 10mm but decided against it. Instead, I bought a Gen 4 Glock 21 in 45ACP and then replaced the trigger (barf!) and rebarreled, re-sprung, and added the required compensator to make it run 460 Rowland. It kicks the crap out of any 10mm and doesn't cost me much more to load than when I load 45acp (uses the same dies too). My favorite load is a 185gr Nosler JHP running about 1500fps. It will also do the heavies, but I haven't played with any loads above 230gr. For heavy 45 I do Linebaugh loads for 45 Colt in my Ruger Bisley convertible :)

I looked into converting my G21 to .45 super a while back, but wasn’t overwhelmed with the ballistic improvement so ended up not doing it. The .460 has come up on my radar more recently though and seems pretty bada** and definitely interests me. And I have a G41 that I really don’t use and would like to convert it. It sounds like you’re a fan of it, and I do like hearing what other shooters think more so than magazines or youtubers. Unfortunately it’s going to be a while before I order that stuff. Priorities being what they are with the new house and the like.

In all fairness, I’m not worried about hot loads and the unsupported chamber in my 10mm glocks. It’s definitely a point that I’ve read about and know there have been some failures attributed to it, but I inspect my brass pretty thoroughly looking for signs and am pickier about what I’ll reuse in the 10 than other lower pressure stuff. But I have one lot of star line brass on my 4th or 5th reload (I’d have to look) for the hard cast lead and haven’t discarded many. I mostly swapped the barrel in the G40 because I have a pile of soft lead bullets I use in a plinking load, so I got one with a supported chamber.

As someone else stated here and I completely agree, everyone is a little different and the best thing you can do is find some buddies with different pistols or a range you can rent pistols and shoot them. Alternatively, you could just buy them all. Lol. Of the newer shooters I have done this with the last couple years, I have been surprised that a good many of them preferred shooting my 229 with a fat rubber grip on it as I have big hands. 3 were smaller statured females. But you don’t know till you shoot them no matter how good they feel in your hand or how many youtube “instructors” recommend them. TheBac, I’d invite you over, but I think you’re in Michigan and it’d be a good drive out to Washington to test out some pistols.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I looked into converting my G21 to .45 super a while back, but wasn’t overwhelmed with the ballistic improvement so ended up not doing it. The .460 has come up on my radar more recently though and seems pretty bada** and definitely interests me. And I have a G41 that I really don’t use and would like to convert it. It sounds like you’re a fan of it, and I do like hearing what other shooters think more so than magazines or youtubers. Unfortunately it’s going to be a while before I order that stuff. Priorities being what they are with the new house and the like.

I agree that 45 to 45 super isn't anything to get too excited about. But the jump to Rowland is huge. 2x the pressure of a 45acp. I got on board very early on, and spoke to Johnny Rowland a few times. When I pointed out to him that my converted G21 likes the Kriss Vector 33rd mag, he was dead silent on the phone (you could hear his jaw drop) and then he was VERY excited to hear that it feeds well :) A full sized handgun with 33rds of 185gr JHP at over 1500fps is nothing to sneeze at, LOL.

matthew86

Mar 16, 2018
Eastern WA
I agree that 45 to 45 super isn't anything to get too excited about. But the jump to Rowland is huge. 2x the pressure of a 45acp. I got on board very early on, and spoke to Johnny Rowland a few times. When I pointed out to him that my converted G21 likes the Kriss Vector 33rd mag, he was dead silent on the phone (you could hear his jaw drop) and then he was VERY excited to hear that it feeds well :) A full sized handgun with 33rds of 185gr JHP at over 1500fps is nothing to sneeze at, LOL.

That’s what has caught my attention with the .45a

That’s Awesome to hear and not totally surprising either from what I’ve read about the huge jump from 10mm. Good to hear from a reputable source as I have the same mags available for my G41 project. Thank you for the the input and am curious if you would be willing to post base load data for a
Starter .460 load? I understand if you aren’t comfortable. OP I hope we have not wandered too far from your original intent. Just happens to be a topic with a wide berth for polymer pistols. Hey

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I’ll share a little. These are copied from texting with JR in 2013. I’d been (and still do) use the SR4756 with a Nosler 185gr jhp as my favorite load. Good luck finding that powder any more though - disco many years ago. I’ll also say that the a Nosler holds up to the velocity, unlike some other bullets I’ve tried.

The sr4756 is so bulky that you could scoop the shit with the brass, knock it off the top and seat the bullet. Hahaha. No risk of double charge there, lol. :thumb:

Wally: Thanks for your efforts. You might try 13.5 grains of Power Pistol for 1550 fps for the 185 gr bullet.
J Rowland

For the 230 grain, I prefer the Longshot load in the Hodgdon manual. I like 15 grains of 4756 behind the 185 Nosler JHP for around 1575 fps from my 1911

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
For a polymer I carry a S&W Shield 2.0 with a crimson trace built in. That is one sweet handgun, it drives freakin tacks straight out of the box. Has cool features and feels rock solid in hand with nice stippling that isn't too rough but easy to hold onto. I got mine in 9mm but now want a 45 to go along with it.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I’ll update mine. Just picked up a Sig p365 2.0. Love this gun. Super smooth, almost as thin as my s&w shield is so it conceals nice on me and double stack to boot.

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
I appendix carry a Glock 19. It’s a little cumbersome but not too bad. I used to side carry it but just didn’t like it. I might be getting a Hellcat real soon. I need to go shoot it again.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
James where you score the 365 at? trying to snag one for my wife, she has the m&p 2.0 and absolutely fell in love with the 365 and i don't blame her it's a really sweet shooting gun

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
James where you score the 365 at? trying to snag one for my wife, she has the m&p 2.0 and absolutely fell in love with the 365 and i don't blame her it's a really sweet shooting gun

Friend of mine picked up the XL at the beginning of the year and no longer used the reg 365 to carry a few months later. Talked him into selling it to me. No one has them in stock! I was on a waiting list till I bought his

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Friend of mine picked up the XL at the beginning of the year and no longer used the reg 365 to carry a few months later. Talked him into selling it to me. No one has them in stock! I was on a waiting list till I bought his
I'm on probably 12 different backorder lists. Lemme know if your list pops I'll take your spot lol.

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
I carried an XDs for a while then bought a Shield in .40 cal, bought a Hellcat about 6 months ago and haven't carried any of the other ones since, the Hellcat feels great and holds 14 and it's about the same size as a Shield just a tad wider on the grip for the double stack mag.