Where to buy a Tech II

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
:roflmao:
My boss thinks these "knockoffs" are a joke and won't even entertain the idea of ordering one..

I'm about to order myself one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's too bad for your boss, they work great. I also have a knockoff SDS(Mercedes diagnostics) and it can actually do more than the dealers. lol.

meshanic

All In Trucks
Dec 9, 2010
West Texas
I have mine now but I'm having a little trouble with the language selection. It's set to Spanish & there are no other languages I can select. Have any of you guys seen this or know what I need to do?

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
i am going to buy one but one thing sticks out on product page,"Notice:
1. It Can Only Support GM Cars, No Trucks". you guyes say it works fine so im not really bothered, it def works on a lb7 right?

I noticed this too on the web page.

My dad has been wanting a tech 2 for his shop for a while but obviously doesnt want to spend the money. My dad's not the most tech savvy, but has used several scanners over the years and used other people's tech 2s. Im thinking of showing this to him. Any complaints so far?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm really tempted to get one of these, but I'm not sure how useful it would be to me without access to TIS2Web. I don't want to pay that much money for no more than I would use it. I wonder if it would be possible to buy access and share between several people? I've never used it, so I don't know how it works. Is it just a login and password, or is it more complex than that?

meshanic

All In Trucks
Dec 9, 2010
West Texas
I'm really tempted to get one of these, but I'm not sure how useful it would be to me without access to TIS2Web. I don't want to pay that much money for no more than I would use it. I wonder if it would be possible to buy access and share between several people? I've never used it, so I don't know how it works. Is it just a login and password, or is it more complex than that?

You can share but you have to set it up as if it was the same shop with multiple locations. There's a guy here locally that does this but he has to access from one of the two ip addresses listed on the subscription.

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
So I just read through this thread, I'm interested in getting one of these for personal use, but not sure if I would need that tis2web subscription to do what I need to, I'm going to be eliminating the air ride on the wife's 2006 Yukon denali xl, I would rather reprogram it to avoid the aftermarket shock bypass "modules" so I don't get the "service air ride" message, and maybe also to swap the wife's old nav radio into my lly

So with just buying the unit can I do what I need to or do I need that tis2web subscription?

Thanks

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
If you have to "reprogram" anything, you need to be able to download programming from SPS (TIS) i.e.....clearing theftlock on a regular radio, updating ECM programming for recalls, etc....

The nav units 03-07 can be cleared just using the Tech2, which is nice.

I kind of like the idea of "sharing" a yearly TIS subscription like what Josh H proposed.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Ok, bare with me here.

Say I buy one of these Chinese tech 2s. Ok, will my buddy be able to use (download) whatever it is I may need at the time, thru his dealership? He works at the Chevy dealer here. So would I be able to use there subscription with one of these units?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Ok, bare with me here.

Say I buy one of these Chinese tech 2s. Ok, will my buddy be able to use (download) whatever it is I may need at the time, thru his dealership? He works at the Chevy dealer here. So would I be able to use there subscription with one of these units?

I don't think so. The Chinese unit is missing a module.

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
If you have to "reprogram" anything, you need to be able to download programming from SPS (TIS) i.e.....clearing theftlock on a regular radio, updating ECM programming for recalls, etc....

The nav units 03-07 can be cleared just using the Tech2, which is nice.

I kind of like the idea of "sharing" a yearly TIS subscription like what Josh H proposed.

Gotcha, yeah sounds like I need tis then, for the air ride reprogram at least, thanks

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
I'm interested too if a shared tis subscription is possible.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

bml2200

Oct 16, 2008
IL
The product page says no trucks, but to clarify, this DOES work on trucks?

Also just an idea, if a group of people wanted to share SPS subscription and its limited to only two IP's, why not have one of those IP's be a proxy server that anyone in the group could use. That way everyone would be using the same IP address.