Well there goes my chances of 9s this year

Ironworker15

Mar 28, 2023
Massachusetts
Should have no problem breaking into the 9s with that setup now, especially with a more stout bottom end. Happy to see you're making some progress man. Looks great 👍👍

Ironworker15

Mar 28, 2023
Massachusetts
Thanks iron worker!…and I went forged fingers this time.
Do you think it was the piston that let loose last time or the rod?? Rod looked to me like it took the most damage. They also looked pretty thin in the cross section. I know Carillos have handled probably twice what you put at em, so maybe material flaws? There has been a slew of Motorsports cracking recently it seems too though so who knows. Let's hope I get lucky with mine! Should handle the 800 or so I'll put to them I'd like to think. Especially with extra oil cooling and way more air than fuel. Again, truck is looking really good man, must be a great feeling having it come back together after a failure like you had!

Bbuchanan11

Sep 9, 2011
Sarver, PA
I really don’t know but the way the piston or what’s left of it had broke right down the middle looks a lot like how most of them break. But it being right at the top end of the track it was well over 4k rpm… i ended up going with a 2020+ oil cooler this time to try help oil temps a little.

Reactions: Ironworker15

Ironworker15

Mar 28, 2023
Massachusetts
I really don’t know but the way the piston or what’s left of it had broke right down the middle looks a lot like how most of them break. But it being right at the top end of the track it was well over 4k rpm… i ended up going with a 2020+ oil cooler this time to try help oil temps a little.
I had read on here , that Fingers had said major temp swings play a big role in cast piston longevity. Along with high cylinder pressure, obviously, but the oil temps seem to be a key factor. Same here with the 2020 oil cooler as well as LML piston oilers and a Derale remote cooler. I had them top coated too. I should be getting my engine back fairly soon actually. I'll be posting back in my thread once I do. If I had it to do over, I would've just sold these and went right to the oval bowls as they're one hundred percent proven thus far in cast or forged. Keep up the good work brother! 👍

Reactions: Bbuchanan11

Bbuchanan11

Sep 9, 2011
Sarver, PA
IMG_1884.jpegGetting pretty close to start putting the front end back on. I’ve been putting off cleaning up the wiring harness I have miles of extra wire that I don’t know what to do with so I’ll probably end up taking a break for a while.

Ironworker15

Mar 28, 2023
Massachusetts
Thanks guys I appreciate it! And I have no idea who made this turbo kit I know it’s pretty old and we reworked a lot of the piping.
I'm digging the ac delete look. I just ordered a van style thermostat housing for mine and the hose as well. Whats all the extra wiring from? I've been slowly going through my whole engine harness after doing the alt fire cam pin swap and it's definitely a slow going process. Should have pics up soon of my build. Can't wait to see yours up and running though, been great watching it come together. Keep up the good work brother!

Reactions: Bbuchanan11

Bbuchanan11

Sep 9, 2011
Sarver, PA
Thanks man and yeah I got tired of trying to work around the upper rad hose or having to drain the coolant… but first time I had the engine out I completely stripped the harness took out every wire/plug I didn’t need and recovered everything. Now everything that goes to the passenger side of the engine is just way too long.

Reactions: Ironworker15

Ironworker15

Mar 28, 2023
Massachusetts
Thanks man and yeah I got tired of trying to work around the upper rad hose or having to drain the coolant… but first time I had the engine out I completely stripped the harness took out every wire/plug I didn’t need and recovered everything. Now everything that goes to the passenger side of the engine is just way too long.
Is it possible to cut the wires to length and re pin them to fit the plugs like how the main harness plug works?