LLY: Twin turbo question...

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
problem is the TCM is locked so you cannot raise shift points... you could buy a separate TCM for the race track/sled... is another 1000$+ worth a 10% gear reduction? Not too me it isn't

If you have a program like EFI Live, can't you reprogram the TCM and ECM? Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, the conversion kit is just the valving from a 6 speed, put into a 5 speed truck with a new TCM. Right? So would it be altogether cheaper to just go get a 6 speed trans out of a wrecked truck and swap the valving and TCM, or swap the whole tranny altogether?

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
As far as cost for a buying or making a compound turbo set up and tuning it accordingly if you aren't looking for the 10 second 1/4 I suggest a decent tuner instead. I didn't notice one in your sig, if you are doing the trans anyway the big PPE would give you more than enough juice (Pardon the edge pun) Thousands less, very reliable power, better milage, trust me, on diesel engines tuner is the biggest cheapest upgrade you can make. IMHO

I actually have a predator programmer, which should be fine for my application for now. The only problem is I can't install it until my ECM is unlocked and programmed back to stock. I bought the truck used, and the previous owner never returned it to stock when he traded it in. So I have approx a $400 programmer that's (at least for now) a very expensive paperweight. The warranty company won't cover it either unless it's a fault from the manufacturer. GMPP won't cover a "failure" resulting from modification by the end user.

8lug

Escalade HD
Oct 16, 2009
Canada
I actually have a predator programmer, which should be fine for my application for now. The only problem is I can't install it until my ECM is unlocked and programmed back to stock. I bought the truck used, and the previous owner never returned it to stock when he traded it in. So I have approx a $400 programmer that's (at least for now) a very expensive paperweight. The warranty company won't cover it either unless it's a fault from the manufacturer. GMPP won't cover a "failure" resulting from modification by the end user.

I had a similar problem last year when my battery died during a return to stock procedure. After some over the phone support BullyDog (which is what I was/am running) sent me a new stock load and a backdoor to load it through. Predator may do something like that for you?? Just a thought. One of the many things I love about Bully is their support.

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
I had a similar problem last year when my battery died during a return to stock procedure. After some over the phone support BullyDog (which is what I was/am running) sent me a new stock load and a backdoor to load it through. Predator may do something like that for you?? Just a thought. One of the many things I love about Bully is their support.

So you had a stock truck, put the Bully Dog programmer on, then wanted to return it to stock and the battery died mid-flash? I haven't had the chance to call predator yet, but I have no idea what kind of tuner the previous owner was running. I really hope they can do that. I'm just not looking to spend another $400 to use the tuner I bought for $400. Much less buy another ECM from the dealership for $1,600 (Yeah, that's what they quoted me for a new ECM and Programming it with the factory as built data. :screwy:)

8lug

Escalade HD
Oct 16, 2009
Canada
So you had a stock truck, put the Bully Dog programmer on, then wanted to return it to stock and the battery died mid-flash? I haven't had the chance to call predator yet, but I have no idea what kind of tuner the previous owner was running. I really hope they can do that. I'm just not looking to spend another $400 to use the tuner I bought for $400. Much less buy another ECM from the dealership for $1,600 (Yeah, that's what they quoted me for a new ECM and Programming it with the factory as built data. :screwy:)
That is pretty much it Sarge, I hope that helps.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
If you have a program like EFI Live, can't you reprogram the TCM and ECM? Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, the conversion kit is just the valving from a 6 speed, put into a 5 speed truck with a new TCM. Right? So would it be altogether cheaper to just go get a 6 speed trans out of a wrecked truck and swap the valving and TCM, or swap the whole tranny altogether?

The TCM from Suncoast is locked... as in you cannot modify it regardless of what you do.

8lug

Escalade HD
Oct 16, 2009
Canada
Call Guy Tripp I think he can get you a ECM much cheaper.
All custom ecm guys should be able to flash it back to stock if Predator can't help you. I have a guy in canada that would probably sell you one in exchange for yours if I can find his #. Let me know how you make out.

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
Thanks for the advice on the ECM. His shop is SoCal Diesel right? I'll check out their website for his number.

8lug

Escalade HD
Oct 16, 2009
Canada

Hey Sarge FYI Socal has new ECM's between $300 and $450 if worst comes to worst.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I have looked into the 6-speed swap with factory parts. If I remember correctly the older engine ecms (LB7 LLY) talk to the tcm in a different language then the new trucks. So the new 6-speed tcm won't be able to talk to the older engine ecm. I gave up, just to big of a pain for the gain. Anyone else know anymore about this?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Sounds like a trip to the pick and pull lot is in order. Who knows. I have a bunch of spare parts laying around from my last truck. Maybe they'll trade?

no...re-read everything again. ;)

a factory 6-speed TCM will not work in a 01-05 truck. Not with a harness swap, not with a valve body swap, not with magic fairy dust. There would be a million people running to the junk yards by now if it was "that" simple.

A special suncoast 5-6-speed conversion swap TCM will work, but its LOCKED. Its also only available as a complete kit with valvebody, which is 1600 dollars or whatever.

ben

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
Sgt,

Before you go spending money on a turbo upgrade or any of that, you need to get the full potential out of what you have under the hood (your Predator isn't going to come close) and then decide if you need more. Adding 100 rwhp over stock is the most I recommend on a stock 5 speed trans for it to still be reliable with no worries. Once you get the trans built we can crank it up past 500 rwhp with just a lift pump. If that's not enough for you, then start thinking about turbos and such.

As has been said you can't swap in a 6 speed from a junk yard - you need a 5 speed TCM that has a custom 6 speed tune on it, along with a 6 speed valve body. The TCM comes locked and you can't adjust shift points. When it is all said and done it will take you years to recover in fuel savings what you spent to have 6th gear. You don't have to be looking to run 10s to get a built trans, but you also don't need twin or compound chargers on a truck with a stock trans.

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
All ECM/TCMs are locked. Suncoast or Factory. It requires the correct key to unlock it. EFI has set us up to unlock Factory ECM/TCMs. Its all a matter of unlocking it with the right tools.

Why not do a light trans build and converter, skip the 6 speed crap, and get a nice tuner and lift pump. Pretty standard mods and you should be very happy running low 13s with that setup. When a full trans build was suggested, you said you were not looking to do a 10 second ride, either way, you still need more than a converter to run more than 90-100 horse over factory....