LLY: Twin turbo question...

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
I'm pretty new to diesel tuning, and I was wondering... I've seen plenty of builds on the forum for adding a second turbo in line with another turbo, but would there be a benefit to running a single turbo on each exhaust bank? Or is that a completely rediculous idea? It seems like it would allow each one to operate more efficiently and lower EGT's... I know it would probably take something like EFI Live to rework the ECM, two boost/egt gauges, and two separate intakes at the least. Running two separate intercoolers might be an issue as well. I'm thinking two side by side with the ports on the outside in place of the stock one with fans might do the trick... Or possibly cut open the air dam and put the second intercooler behind it?

Builtlngbd

Aug 24, 2009
i think it was the s-10. would be neat to see it in a truck....Also there was a chevell that was in diesel power that had a dmax in it. it had the banks intake mans. with the same setup.

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
Well I was thinking about setting another stock turbo from a wrecked truck, cleaning it up and adding it to my daily driver. But since they're the same size I doubt I would get much benefit from running them in line. I was just wondering if there would be any performance/fuel economy benefits and what they are, since it would be a good chunk of change to do all this. Not to mention all the time I'd be spending with my welder (and grinder of course).

gr8shot

Practically stock
Apr 28, 2009
Grand Island, NE
It takes 8 cylinders to spool one stock turbo, think how bad they'd perform with only 4 cylinders trying to spool them up.

In short, it's not the greatest idea.

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
Well I was thinking about setting another stock turbo from a wrecked truck, cleaning it up and adding it to my daily driver. But since they're the same size I doubt I would get much benefit from running them in line. I was just wondering if there would be any performance/fuel economy benefits and what they are, since it would be a good chunk of change to do all this. Not to mention all the time I'd be spending with my welder (and grinder of course).

like jesse said...you would have the same amount of boost with twice the lag..

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
Ah. That makes more sense. I'm getting that it's a matter of how much pressure built up by the exhaust gasses, so would it matter if the truck were programmed for more power or running something like propane?

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
Ah. That makes more sense. I'm getting that it's a matter of how much pressure built up by the exhaust gasses, so would it matter if the truck were programmed for more power or running something like propane?

it would spool quicker but no matter what you do a stock turbo is out of map range at anything over 35psi or so

uwyo_dmax

Sep 17, 2008
Laramie WY
but would it matter that you can only push 35psi wouldn't you still have alot more air than stock since that 35psi per side? Would that be like a single pushing 60psi :confused:

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
Well I'm not looking for a 10 second 1/4 mile, just something to add a little more get up to the truck. I mainly use it as my daily driver, but occasionally I pull the odd armored HumV out of the mud on base.

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
but would it matter that you can only push 35psi wouldn't you still have alot more air than stock since that 35psi per side? Would that be like a single pushing 60psi :confused:

no actually....you see the pressure is what pushes it into the engine to make the power so psi is everything (along with temperature that is)

now that being said you can use much smaller turbos to create the same pressure but spool faster in that kind of application since the engine is only taking half the air in that it would of a single turbo application.

thats the benefit of doing a true twin setup like that...and thats why most gasser twin turbos are like this instead of compounded

hope that makes sense

Last edited:

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
Well I'm not looking for a 10 second 1/4 mile, just something to add a little more get up to the truck. I mainly use it as my daily driver, but occasionally I pull the odd armored HumV out of the mud on base.

your going to run into trans issues way way before power issues as well

your stock turbo will push 500+ hp....you stock trans will be very very lucky to survive 450

and dont forget its pointless to do a turbo upgrade without switching tuning to efilive

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
So it'd be cheaper and substantially easier to do compound turbos, than a true twin set up. Sounds like a plan. As far as the trans is concerned, everything I've read here says don't add over 100HP without a better torque converter. I was actually looking into a 5 to 6sp upgrade from suncoast and a better torque converter at the same time. But it seems a bit cost prohibitive at the moment. So I'll be saving a bit first.
Thanks for all the info guys. Learning has occurred.:thumb:

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
So it'd be cheaper and substantially easier to do compound turbos, than a true twin set up. Sounds like a plan. As far as the trans is concerned, everything I've read here says don't add over 100HP without a better torque converter. I was actually looking into a 5 to 6sp upgrade from suncoast and a better torque converter at the same time. But it seems a bit cost prohibitive at the moment. So I'll be saving a bit first.
Thanks for all the info guys. Learning has occurred.:thumb:

yea like the other gentleman said just a converter wont get you far...

gonna be looking at a full buildup and thats gonna run you around 4k or more

fishsmith

May 14, 2008
Monroe, LA
Unless you do a lot of driving I wouldn't do the 5 to 6sp conversion. You may want to call and talk to Mike L. before you spend all that money on just that. I had planned on doing that when I did my trans and after he explained everything to me I backed out.

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
Why? What's the problem with doing that conversion? It is my daily driver, and usually take it when I go on leave from VA to FL. So it gets driven a lot, but not incredibly hard.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Why? What's the problem with doing that conversion? It is my daily driver, and usually take it when I go on leave from VA to FL. So it gets driven a lot, but not incredibly hard.

problem is the TCM is locked so you cannot raise shift points... you could buy a separate TCM for the race track/sled... is another 1000$+ worth a 10% gear reduction? Not too me it isn't

8lug

Escalade HD
Oct 16, 2009
Canada
As far as cost for a buying or making a compound turbo set up and tuning it accordingly if you aren't looking for the 10 second 1/4 I suggest a decent tuner instead. I didn't notice one in your sig, if you are doing the trans anyway the big PPE would give you more than enough juice (Pardon the edge pun) Thousands less, very reliable power, better milage, trust me, on diesel engines tuner is the biggest cheapest upgrade you can make. IMHO