Torsion key tool?

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
#1 does anyone know where to find on cheap? i need to get these drop keys in

#2 is there another tool i can use or something to nig rig it?

#3 anyone know where to find a god write up on how to change the keys step by step?

thanks guys,
Beech

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Take the wieght off the front tires and use a 2 jaw gear puller if needed

once the bolt is loosened off you might need to beat the bar towards the rear of the truck once it is out of the front then just pull the bar out and remove the key

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
:confused:
Take the wieght off the front tires and use a 2 jaw gear puller if needed

once the bolt is loosened off you might need to beat the bar towards the rear of the truck once it is out of the front then just pull the bar out and remove the key

2 jaw gear puller....guessing i can get one at my local auto shop? sorry im no mechanic. theres already no bolts in the keys they're removed for full drop. so that bar just moves backwards? sorry for my ignorance

Last edited:

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
beech, yes all you need is the 2 jaw puller. make sure you use an impact to tighten it though so it doesn't twist. make sure the point of the puller is in teh divit of the key

once you do that slide that nut piece out of the slot and loosen the puller. then just slide the bar foward and the key "should" fall out

call me if you need anything dude:thumb:

Last edited:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
:confused:

2 jaw gear puller....guessing i can get one at my local auto shop? sorry im no mechanic. theres already no bolts in the keys they're removed for full drop. so that bar just moves backwards? sorry for my ignorance

well ive had to beat on them sometimes to remove them...Now mine come out real easy.

once you take the wieght off its removes all the tension on the bar
when you jack up the front watch for play on the key:)

You probably wont find a 2 jaw but you can get a cheap 3 jaw and just remove the one jaw or use a c-clamp but just be very carefull if you do this with tension on the bars

KEVINL

Jul 4, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
undo the UCA ball joint and drop down the jack and let the LCA drop out there will be hardly any tension on the bars then

I used a extension on a jack and put a little pressure to slide out the block and let the key drop down

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
When I put my lift on, I did not have the correct tool or did I know I needed one at the time. I used a steel pipe wrench (18" or so) and a jack. Simply lock the pipe wrench on the torsion bar in a position were you can lock the jack head on the pipe wrench handle. Jack it up a little to release the tension and remove the key. Not the safest route to take but with a little common sense it can be done fairly safely IMHO..

P.S. while the truck is all ready on jack stands, of course;)

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Beech, I have one...if you want to borrow it, PM me your address. Its already in a box, ready to go.

If you use a gear puller like Sweet and Low say (hey...thats funny in itself), I will come to your house and slap the crap out of you. :rofl:

Just ship it back to me when you're done.

Last edited:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Beech, I have one...if you want to borrow it, PM me your address. Its already in a box, ready to go.

If you use a gear puller like Sweet and Low say (hey...thats funny in itself), I will come to your house and slap the crap out of you. :rofl:

Just ship it back to me when you're done.

Tom I understand the results of using a improper tool bur once weight is removed I don't see a issue, it's no diffeent than being at the track and lowering the bars IMO

Sweet and low out:D

jheyob

Jan 30, 2009
Okeana OH/West Lafayette IN
If your bars are froze in the LCA and keys like mine were, an air chisel helps! I used a 2 jaw puller for my leveling key install...$35 at napa, tons of uses, buy one.

EDIT: the bar also moves forward through the LCA not backwards like you thought redbowties

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
There is actually still a lot of tension on the bars when the tires are off the ground.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
When I put my lift on, I did not have the correct tool or did I know I needed one at the time. I used a steel pipe wrench (18" or so) and a jack. Simply lock the pipe wrench on the torsion bar in a position were you can lock the jack head on the pipe wrench handle. Jack it up a little to release the tension and remove the key. Not the safest route to take but with a little common sense it can be done fairly safely IMHO..

P.S. while the truck is all ready on jack stands, of course;)

X2

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Tom I understand the results of using a improper tool bur once weight is removed I don't see a issue, it's no diffeent than being at the track and lowering the bars IMO

Sweet and low out:D

ok, whatever....its not the same as lowering bars at the track (the retainer bar is still there, just the bolt moves...)

Beech, Ben...the offer stands. You both can borrow my Tbar clamp if you want to. Cost you all of $10 shipping at the most.

Last edited:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
ok, whatever....its not the same as lowering bars at the track (the retainer bar is still there, just the bolt moves...)

Beech, Ben...the offer stands. You both can borrow my Tbar clamp if you want to. Cost you all of $10 shipping at the most.

Tom I am not dissagreeing with you I would always prefer to use the proper tool . If you offer the tool to another member that great:) The op asked for a ghetto rig and that is what I was offering

Abby spends alot of time on jackstands sadly I was underneath. one time and grabbed the torsion bar to pull myself up on my creeper. The bar pulled out of the front and landed on me:rofl: