Thinking about racing the truck for the first time Wednesday

Dmax Grizzly

Always Learning
Dec 26, 2007
Monroeville,Ohio
Hi. I live right near Norwalk Raceway Park( Now known as Summit Motorsports Park). I am thinking about taking the truck to the test and tune wednesday evening. What all should I do? 2wd/4wd? Overdrive off? Do a burn out or not? It's probably better to boost it up a bit right? What is the trick when coming up to light the tree? Floor it when the second yellow comes on. I've watched drag racing for years but actually have not ever done it yet. Thank's, Adam

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Use 4x4. Leave it in overdrive unless you have a big tune you're afraid will limp your trans. At the most maybe slightly spin the back tires to clean off any debris, but don't do a big smokey burnout. I would say start out launching at about 2k RPM and adjust from there. When you come up to the tree, light the very top bulb (aka the prestage bulb) and wait for your opponent to do the same if he hasn't already, once he has the prestage bulb lit, I build boost/RPM to my desired levels and slowly ease up on the brakes to slowly inch forward and break the stage beam and light that light. NHRA rules dictate a 10 second time for your opponent to light the stage light after you have, but test and tunes might not be so strict. Be aware of your opponent, and don't let them keep you there on your converter for a long time. Unless you're doing racing some sort of elimination, there's no need to worry about reaction times, but as a general rule, you leave on the third amber.

Rnolan

Dec 13, 2008
Lagrange, OH
I'll be there this weds too, so look for the black duramax and I'll help you out the best I can. Make sure you drop your front end as low as possible too.

Last edited:

Dmax Grizzly

Always Learning
Dec 26, 2007
Monroeville,Ohio
Thank's guy's and Kat. Rnolan, I'll see you there then I guess. I have my bars cranked up decent and don't really want to crank them down cause it wil screw up the alignment won't it? I guess I'll take the bottle jack with me and count the threads. Hope it doesn't dick the alignment up. It's driving real nice now after the new tires.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Have fun

Thats a very nice track and normally fast. They take pride in there track and it shows. I wish I was a little closer I would come and hang out. Jeff

Rnolan

Dec 13, 2008
Lagrange, OH
Come on out on a weekend if you want Jeff they do test and tune on saturdays too. I live close and have an extra room or place to put a camper, dmax's are always welcome here

Dmax Grizzly

Always Learning
Dec 26, 2007
Monroeville,Ohio
That would be cool if you could come up this way sometime. You've got a real nice running truck too. When they switched over from IHRA to NHRA a couple years ago they socked quite a bit of money into it to spiffy it up and all. It's on of the top tracks in the country according to our friend who works for the IHRA.

Thats a very nice track and normally fast. They take pride in there track and it shows. I wish I was a little closer I would come and hang out. Jeff

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Thank's guy's and Kat. Rnolan, I'll see you there then I guess. I have my bars cranked up decent and don't really want to crank them down cause it wil screw up the alignment won't it? I guess I'll take the bottle jack with me and count the threads. Hope it doesn't dick the alignment up. It's driving real nice now after the new tires.

yeah, I usually just put a mark on the bolt with a sharpie and count the turns. Works perfectly every time.