Swap out Dexcool

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
then please explain the 1st picture in my quote. that includes you too ben

I agree with killerbee. Bu I cant give you some scientific answer because im not an engineer and there isnt one thing that annoys me more than when I see all these armchair engineers on forums try to give technical answers/explanations to questions that they have no formal schooling/background in; be it turbos, cylinder pressures, etc.

ben

Last edited:

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I use a hybrid low silicated formula, Zerex G-05. A few drops of red food coloring and it looks like Dex.

How is G05 in your opinion, KB? You ever had a problem with it eating Al? I've got it in my car, and two years ago, my heater core let go. I changed to Zerex when I did my engine swap; also installed a new Cobra radiator, new heater core, new hoses; pretty much everything. May be nothing though.

I know the reviews I read about it way back when said it was really good stuff for Al parts.

Maybe I'll put it in my truck when I swap motors.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
The explanation you want doesn't exist in my world. Everybody uses water in "water cooled" motors. Don't know what to tell you.

If I were you, I would get flushed out.

I agree with killerbee. Bu I cant give you some scientific answer because im not an engineer and there isnt one thing that annoys me more than when I see all these armchair engineers on forums try to give technical answers/explanations to questions that they have no formal schooling/background in; be it turbos, cylinder pressures, etc.

ben

go mix too diffevent types oils say hyd and motor oil you will get similar patterns to what is in the first picture. tho similar they wont mix. much like gas and diesel they will seperate.... same with diesel and oil.

even diffent oil wieghts will seperate over time. when mixed together.

if you do an SG test you will see the difference.

water by nature induces oxidation.. and compound by heat cycles.. even more so in engines with alluminum componants.

IF dexcool was water based like 90% of green coolant is it would turn to a milky substains much like you see in my vlv covers.

prove me wrong the dexcool is not a pretorleum based coolant.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming

water by nature induces oxidation.. and compound by heat cycles.. even more so in engines with alluminum componants.

Bu I dont understand, you will have to explain that in more simple mans terms for me. Im not an engineer like you are.

Ben

Last edited:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
go mix too diffevent types oils say hyd and motor oil you will get similar patterns to what is in the first picture. tho similar they wont mix. much like gas and diesel they will seperate.... same with diesel and oil.

IF dexcool was water based like 90% of green coolant is it would turn to a milky substains much like you see in my vlv covers.

Sg of dexcool is 1.12 and fresh water is 1.0 pending what oil your talking about it will be still under 1

Just by that info alone I dont see how it could be oil based?? then the SG would be lower than 1.0

Dexcool will freeze at -35 iirc and adding a mixture of water will bring the freezing point lower and boil point higher

I wouldnt run straight Dex

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Im gonna switch to BMW coolant in mine, i have a crack in a alum coolant line and thata be a good time to drain/flush/fill it. Its good stuff, never seen any build-up or anything what so ever less the car got severly overheated, enough to kill the engine. Its formulated for all aluminum motors, low silicate, i cant remember what its chemical make up is but i know its differant from ethelyne glycol. Its light blue colored too:D Crap is pricy from the stealer, iirc $22 a gal:eek: but i get it for like $15. Every motor ive seen in running this coolant has been spotless-new inside:cool2:

nice info:)

Anyone know anything about the Evans waterless coolant?

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Amsoil makes a coolant and i will be ordering some soon, when i did my turbo swap i just filtered the old Dexcool back into it and added a bit of new..then three days later apparently someone left the bleeder screw loose on the Tstat housing and it blew gallons all over the place under the hood so i put maybe a gallon of water in it and the rest dexcool to fill it, i am really really regretting it now because i noticed when i took the upper coolant pipe off that there was a ton of black crusty crap in it that i could barely scrape out.the seals on the thermostats were deteriorating...but i passed it off as normal i suppose...wish i knew this all then:(

on edit: this could in no way shape or form deteriorate parts in the heads right? other than not being very nice on aluminum itself?

Last edited:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
If you just pour oil into ANY antifreeze, it will not turn white just seperate out like in Adam's first picture.

But if you take that antifreeze and mix it in with oil and agitate and pressurize it, then it will be milky. When my oil cooler went I had both water and oil that were seperated in the coolant tank, and my engine oil was milky. Adam's second picture.

I run Dexcool.

axlenut

May 6, 2009
I just switched to Amsoil propylene glycol coolant. Prefer the low toxicity coolants as any leak can poison the neighborhood pets if they walk in it. Had a local radiator shop do a flush and refill, they flushed the system three times before refilling with the Amsoil. Here's a link to the shop, and the Dexcool info: www.sancarlosradiator.com

clayt171

He's watching you
Aug 21, 2008
I O Way

From Dexcool MSD

Product Name AC DELCO DEX-COOL ANTI-FREEZE/COOLANT
Manufacturer SHELL
Product Function Fuel/Line Antifreeze
Primary Ingredient DEIONIZED WATER
Primary Ingredient CAS7732185
Secondary Ingredient EXTENDED-LIFE ANTIFREEZE COOLANT
Secondary Ingredient CAS
Tertiary Ingredient ETHYLENE GLYCOL
Tertiary Ingredient CAS107211

Last edited:

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Engineer or no engineer I can't see HOW Dex-Cool can be oil based as everyone knows oil and water don't mix?

I've never seen a antifreeze (OEM automotive use) that wasn't mixed 50/50 with water. I do recall the big debate regarding using deionized water verse straight tap water when mixing Dex-Cool. IMO since deionized water is readily available I use it. Also it's always been a no-no to run straight Antifreeze for temperature protection. This boggles my mind that it was recommended!

Additionally IMO I prefer NOT to go along with the manufactures claim as Life Time or extended life and flush on my own schedule,when ever I feel like it! :D

Last edited:

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Oh ya I will mention,

I owned a 2003 Saab that I believe had Dex-Cool in it. Ben-Wa-Balls :)D) can correct me if I'm wrong. There was a recall on the transmission coolant line seal that allowed antifreeze to enter the transmission. Well I'm here to report that that be the case and it did destroy the transmission.

Funny thing is before I received the recall letter I would get a occasional ,what I felt it was, torque convertor chatter and wondered what the hell was that! :eek:

Nonetosay it eventually completely fried and was replaced. :rofl:

Last edited: