Swap out Dexcool

TIM Z

Screwed by 0087s
Jan 17, 2009
Navarre, OH
I hate Dexcool due to all the clogged heater cores my last few GM vehicles have had even with regular replacement of the stuff.:(

So anyway is it Safe to switch to the green in my Dmax? Any of you guys done it?

Thanks.

Josh2002cc

That Uncle
Apr 2, 2007
Yes you can switch over Tim. However, if you decide to switch over just make sure you flush and flush and flush some more because if you do not, you can create hotspots.

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
I was wondering the same thing. A friend of my Dad's has his own shop now and was a GM truck tech, he told me to get the orange Dexcool out of there and put in the green. He said he has seen it eat seals and gaskets away.

Anybody else heard of this?

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
dexacool is oil based coolant.. will not eat gaskets...

green stuff is water based..

green stuff breaks down quicker then the dexacool.

you get coolant (green) in the oil it will turn it to a milky white dexxacool wont.

i currently am running green coolant in my truck

Killerbee

Got Honey?
dexcool and almost all alternatives, are 96% diethylene glycol. The only differences are in the additive packages, and this leads to compatabilty issues.

Old green is considered very abrasive, and highly precipitive (sandy substance forming over time, especially with poor water quality) with it's high silicated formula. It also has superior anti-cavitation properties.

I use a hybrid low silicated formula, Zerex G-05. A few drops of red food coloring and it looks like Dex.

TIM Z

Screwed by 0087s
Jan 17, 2009
Navarre, OH
Cool, I am one to change all fluids regularly and i change my coolant every 2 years or less.

Im just trying to prevent the problems assciated with dexcool, The stuff is crap IMO.

thanks for the info.:)

Dzlnut

Feb 27, 2008
Homedale Idaho
I was thinking about doing this aswell. Just to be clear there are no seal compatability problems and cooling system will perform as it does now??

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Cool, I am one to change all fluids regularly and i change my coolant every 2 years or less.

Im just trying to prevent the problems assciated with dexcool, The stuff is crap IMO.

thanks for the info.:)

only thing nice about it is the bitter guard in it.... amn get the shit on your lips and it stays there for a few hours :mad:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
you get coolant (green) in the oil it will turn it to a milky white dexxacool wont.

yes it will bu. You dont run straight coolant in your truck do you? You mix it with water, regardless if you run "dexxacool" or green. When water mixes with oil it makes white froth.

its "dexcool" BTW

all the dexcool stuff is wives tails from a friends brothers uncles mothers who had a problem with intake manifold gaskets on her 96 Tahoe with a 350. :rolleyes:

And its got a bad name because idiots mix it with green and then say WTF DEXCOOL SUCKS IT TURNS TO SLUDGE.

I have never heard of dex-cool causing any problems with duramax's or anything. My engine has been out of my truck probably more times than 98% of you guys here and guess what, dex-cool has gone back into it every time ive refilled it. :cool:

just my opinion

ben

Last edited:

NWTDIESEL

On a Time Out
May 8, 2008
ATS Extreme trans
I have a 04' dmax and have never had a problem with Dexcool. I have 215k miles and run a A5K and nitrous. However, i did crack a trans cooler in the radiator recently and the Dexcool went into my Trans and ruined it. When i drained my trans it was real real milky. This just happend a couple weeks ago, i already got a new radiator and trans in it and put Dexcool back in.

Attachments

• rsz_100_0969.jpg
    rsz_100_0969.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 121
  • rsz_100_0970.jpg
    rsz_100_0970.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 642
Last edited:

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
yes it will bu. You dont run straight coolant in your truck do you? You mix it with water, regardless if you run "dexxacool" or green. When water mixes with oil it makes white froth.
BS!
i was running OEM form the factory. the coolant system had never been opened up or added to since i bought the truck when i lost my INJ and subsequently the block then crank.

the repair sheet i got form GM dealer was straight dexcool no water. and i was still makeing oil.. go read my thread on DP... it didnt start turning milky white till i got tired of spendign 15.00+ a gallon for dexcool and started dumping distilled water in the coolant

dexcool is and petrolium based coolant NOT a water based

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
oil and dexcool
attachment.php

oil and water/green coolant
attachment.php

see the difference.

Attachments

• HPIM0272.JPG
    HPIM0272.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 629
  • HPIM0273.JPG
    HPIM0273.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 110
  • HPIM0274.JPG
    HPIM0274.JPG
    937 KB · Views: 126

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
the repair sheet i got form GM dealer was straight dexcool no water.

why?? Thats stupid and a huge waste of money. A 50/50 mix will net you freeze protection down to -34* and boil over protection to like 270*

when did I say otherwise. Yes, if you mix straight dexcool and oil it doesnt turn milky. But I dont know who runs just straight dexcool....

ben

Last edited:

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
from what you are saying and what NWTdiesel posted he has straigh dexcool in his truck when he drained his tranny oil no?

i run between 60/40-75/25 split on my coolant that why is system burbs or leaks and have to add water... i rarely get below 50/50

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Im gonna switch to BMW coolant in mine, i have a crack in a alum coolant line and thata be a good time to drain/flush/fill it. Its good stuff, never seen any build-up or anything what so ever less the car got severly overheated, enough to kill the engine. Its formulated for all aluminum motors, low silicate, i cant remember what its chemical make up is but i know its differant from ethelyne glycol. Its light blue colored too:D Crap is pricy from the stealer, iirc $22 a gal:eek: but i get it for like $15. Every motor ive seen in running this coolant has been spotless-new inside:cool2:

Killerbee

Got Honey?

There isn't ANY coolant in the marketplace that fits this description. There is no petroleum in dexcool. Maybe what you need is a dealer that knows the difference between dexcool and transmission fluid. Just kidding of course, but you have to admit, it's kind of funny.

All coolants are based in 95-97% di-ethylene glycol, or the more pet friendly propylene glycol. These 2 compounds, lower the freeze point of water, and the remaining additives provide the corrosion protection and pH buffers to keep things good.