LB7: SAC-style Injector Life

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I went from VCO +100% to SAC75's, and under the same load & acceleration, I see the same EGTs. I suspect it has to do with the tuning, not the injectors.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Has anyone else noticed higher egts after sac 45 swap and retune? I'm seinf 1100 and 1200 under no load acceleration.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I can't say this enough, tuning is everything with SAC's. If anything my EGT's run a bit cooler as I rarely see my high EGT display flash since changing to them from stockers. Now maybe 45 vco to 45 sac may run hotter.

Jul 24, 2013
jacksonville nc
I can't say this enough, tuning is everything with SAC's. If anything my EGT's run a bit cooler as I rarely see my high EGT display flash since changing to them from stockers. Now maybe 45 vco to 45 sac may run hotter.
Could you PM me and explain what the main differences need to look like for tuning? Is it timing? Pulse width?

Antiher03

Nov 10, 2013
Utah
Are there any main differences between LDS and S&S? Both are new bodies and nozzles correct? just paying for a name?

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
I assume so, but this only applies to SAC45s right? The 00s are truly drop in?

Are there any main differences between LDS and S&S? Both are new bodies and nozzles correct? just paying for a name?
When I bought my SAC45s from LDS they explained to me there was a difference, and what I gathered is since LDS does so many of them they are essentially able to “bin” them. Meaning, sort through and pair together a set that is as new and balanced as a set as possible even when purchasing the “refurb”.
They convinced me away from SAC00s for that reason, they were so new that they hadn’t done as much internal testing or have as many samples available to pull from.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Day 2,178 (5 years, 11 months, 15 day)
Hours on injectors: 1,031.4 (+511.9 since last update)
Miles on injectors: 42,670 (+20,281)
Gallons of fuel injected: 2,924.8 (+1,452.7)
Miles on motor: 53,466
Miles on truck: 349,702

Code:
           Drive  Park
BALRCYL1   -1.84  -0.87
BALRCYL2   -0.65  -0.06
BALRCYL3   -1.40  -0.86
BALRCYL4   +2.70  +1.10
BALRCYL5   +0.98  +0.82
BALRCYL6   -0.25  +0.50
BALRCYL7   -1.39  -0.68
BALRCYL8   +1.76  +0.42

MAINRATE 15.2mm³ 8.4mm³

Once again, balance rates are great, and I basically doubled the mileage on the injectors since the last report. Interesting to see that some injectors went from positive to negative, and the "worst" injector swapped from #1 to #4. #8 saw the biggest change since last time. Though really, all are well within spec, so nothing to worry about. Main rate is up a tiny bit from before, but not enough to mean anything.

Exhaust still has a slight diesel smell (no EGR or cat), but not eye-watering or anything. You only smell it if you stick your face in the exhaust, not walking around to load/unload cargo. If you catch the light just right you can see a haze. I suspect this is more to do with the motor build than the injectors, since it has done it the whole time.

Ring condition continues to deteriorate slowly, with blow-by and oil consumption slowly (but steadily) increasing. Not enough blow-by to make the oil fill cap dance, yet. Sigh.

Since the last report, the truck has basically only been used to tow, and pretty heavy most of the time. I added a 6th gear, but that only means I tow faster. Given the weight and speeds I am towing, I am happy with the fuel economy. Usually gets in the low teens, dropping as low as 10-11 when I really have a load behind it. If I manage to put a tank through it without towing something, it averages 15-16 commuting, and 17+ on the highway if I am not in a hurry. But I am usually in a hurry 🤣

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
The durability and longevity of this has been most promising. I’ve had SAC45 on my list for when the time comes. But, it’s been 11 years and only 55k miles on my last set of stock VCO’s and they are still good.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Has anyone else noticed higher egts after sac 45 swap and retune? I'm seinf 1100 and 1200 under no load acceleration.

Tunes are from bobo. The truck has every bolt on available, with 45 overs and stock ihi. I'm thinking I'm maxing out this charger..

When you say "no load acceleration" are you saying of going 100% throttle without any load behind it or just accelerating normally? It certainly sounds like a tuning issue to me.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Keeping the stock turbo and running sac 45 would not add more why it tuned properly. The truck should run cleaner than stock and get Breyer fuel economy than stock. Sac nozzles add one orifice and change the spray angle either 2 or 3 degrees and will be a dual plain spray pattern as well. That’s the primary reason when going to sac nozzles the tuning demands change from tuning a Voc nozzle. I haven’t had a set be replaced yet that I have installed. I have been using them since they first came out now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Keeping the stock turbo and running sac 45 would not add more why it tuned properly. The truck should run cleaner than stock and get Breyer fuel economy than stock. Sac nozzles add one orifice and change the spray angle either 2 or 3 degrees and will be a dual plain spray pattern as well. That’s the primary reason when going to sac nozzles the tuning demands change from tuning a Voc nozzle. I haven’t had a set be replaced yet that I have installed. I have been using them since they first came out now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^Same here, I have not had a set come back besides one that was a fuel contamination issue (guy had loads of water). You also hit the nail on the head with tuning.

wirewrangler

Jul 18, 2018
Dallas, Oregon
I got a set of SAC45's installed this month. I'm hoping my tuning deal comes through pretty quick. In the mean time, I've been schooling myself up on the tuning just in case. I put about 10 miles on them with the tuning I've ran for many moons and so far I'm impressed. Too much smoke, for me anyway, to run it the way it is though, and I'd probably limp the trans. I appreciate the saga here, good stuff.