LB7: SAC-style Injector Life

JRein

Aircraft Mechanic's Hero
Sep 26, 2015
LRAFB, Arkansas
Although I have not kept as well of a log of my truck with the swap from the VCO to SAC injectors, I am approaching 35k (installed at 265k and at 298k) on them. No significant changes in balance rate and I am getting the same mileage as DAVe3283. Overall I have been very pleased with the results. We will see how the truck does with a PCS to the UK. :D

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
DMaxSTORE has the SAC00 nozzles up for pre order!

Stoked. These will eventually be going in my lb7. About $700 cheaper than the 45s.

Brent@LDS

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 23, 2011
Wisconsin
DMaxSTORE has the SAC00 nozzles up for pre order!

Stoked. These will eventually be going in my lb7. About $700 cheaper than the 45s.

That depends on where you order your SAC 45 injectors from. Our prices on SAC 45 are very close to SAC00 right now.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
That depends on where you order your SAC 45 injectors from. Our prices on SAC 45 are very close to SAC00 right now.

Any chance the SAC00s will drop further then?

I don’t really see a need for me to use the 45s, I likely won’t do more than an EFI tune, maybe a small towing compound setup. So I think the 00s would be best for me, mainly because they should be cheaper.

paulrahoi

Oct 14, 2019
I Had LDS Install SAC00 Injectors

Newbie here from Diesel Place...

Just had some SAC00 injectors installed by LDS on my 2004 LB7. This was the SEVENTH time in 250k miles I have had injector work done. :( I am hoping it will be the last for a LONG time.

Dropped it off on a Sunday and picked it up on a Sunday... 4-hr drive each way beween IL and WI, but I wanted the work done by reputable and professional enthusiasts who focus on Duramax engines, and am grateful they could work out weekend arrangements with me. All my interactions with them were very positive, workmanship was excellent, pricing was good, and the size and cleanliness of their facilities inspired confidence. Quality service. My only complaint is that with all the "B's" its hard to keep track of who you are talking to (Brent, Bob, Brian, Bryce)? :D

They also addressed some other issues, including a valve adjustment and loading my old So-Cal Tow Tune from ages past... Truck was quieter and seemed to run very strong driving home. In a few weeks I will be towing my 14k 5th-wheel down to FL, so that will be a bigger test, but I'm optimistic about these injectors.

From the earliest days I have had an auxiliary Nicktane/CAT fuel filter, add OptiLube XPD on every fill up... NOTHING has helped with my injector woes... the old design was faulty, and nothing would remedy the problem. I wish someone had designed these new SAC00 injectors back in 2005 (like they did with post-LB7 injectors), but better late than never.

--Paul.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Newbie here from Diesel Place...

Just had some SAC00 injectors installed by LDS on my 2004 LB7. This was the SEVENTH time in 250k miles I have had injector work done. :( I am hoping it will be the last for a LONG time.

Dropped it off on a Sunday and picked it up on a Sunday... 4-hr drive each way beween IL and WI, but I wanted the work done by reputable and professional enthusiasts who focus on Duramax engines, and am grateful they could work out weekend arrangements with me. All my interactions with them were very positive, workmanship was excellent, pricing was good, and the size and cleanliness of their facilities inspired confidence. Quality service. My only complaint is that with all the "B's" its hard to keep track of who you are talking to (Brent, Bob, Brian, Bryce)? :D

They also addressed some other issues, including a valve adjustment and loading my old So-Cal Tow Tune from ages past... Truck was quieter and seemed to run very strong driving home. In a few weeks I will be towing my 14k 5th-wheel down to FL, so that will be a bigger test, but I'm optimistic about these injectors.

From the earliest days I have had an auxiliary Nicktane/CAT fuel filter, add OptiLube XPD on every fill up... NOTHING has helped with my injector woes... the old design was faulty, and nothing would remedy the problem. I wish someone had designed these new SAC00 injectors back in 2005 (like they did with post-LB7 injectors), but better late than never.

--Paul.

Running the CAT fuel filter didn't help. While they filter debris out of the system well they don't filter water. If you don't have a lift pump (betting now you do from LDS) I would recommend installing one if you choose to run the CAT filter. Can't wait to hear back on the reliability and longevity of these bad boys. They look more and more attractive every day.

paulrahoi

Oct 14, 2019
Running the CAT fuel filter didn't help. While they filter debris out of the system well they don't filter water. If you don't have a lift pump (betting now you do from LDS) I would recommend installing one if you choose to run the CAT filter. Can't wait to hear back on the reliability and longevity of these bad boys. They look more and more attractive every day.

Actually... I had originally intended to have LDS install an Airdog 165gal/hr lift pump, but there were complications with mounting (I have a 52gal Titan fuel tank that gets in the he way), and return flow (I have an oversized after-market filler tube). So I opted to bypass the Airdog.

I use OptiLube XPD to increase lubricity, but IIRC it does not emulsify. IIRC, there were some additives that do... Any recommendations?

And wasn't there some type of fuel filter that replaces the OEM fuel filter, and separates the water out?

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
additives will just lighten your pocket. not worth it.

if you are still running the stock filter setup along with the niktane based on what i gather from your post, its going to stop water just as well as the airdog. matter of fact, if you have enough water in the system that the separators work, you will have bigger issues to worry about. the water was never the issue to the original injectors dieing. the only real benefit you would gain with the airdog now is a bit more filtration and positive pressure to the cp3. that will keep cavitiation at bay and no longer have to worry about o-rings that flatten out and cause fuel vac issues, hard starting/no power.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I’ve seen guys mount their pump behind the axle before. Not sure about the opposite frame rail. I’m sure there’s a way to get one on there if you want it. If you’re worried about it and done wanna pay for a lift pump get a cheap NAPA filter base and mount it with a separator.

As far as additives, I’ve tried a bunch and can’t tell a difference. Last time I had Howe’s and it was fairly cheap. Posts of guys run cheap Walmart 2 stroke oil. I’ve started this because it’s cheap and supposedly help lubricate.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I’ve seen guys mount their pump behind the axle before. Not sure about the opposite frame rail. I’m sure there’s a way to get one on there if you want it. If you’re worried about it and done wanna pay for a lift pump get a cheap NAPA filter base and mount it with a separator.

As far as additives, I’ve tried a bunch and can’t tell a difference. Last time I had Howe’s and it was fairly cheap. Posts of guys run cheap Walmart 2 stroke oil. I’ve started this because it’s cheap and supposedly help lubricate.
With a little effort you can get the lift pump on the opposite frame rail. That's where it is on my Suburban, because the fuel tanks eat up basically all the space on the left. Bent up some custom hard lines to hook it all in.

Since the Suburban rarely sees off road, we ran the lines under the frame. Turns out there's plenty of room to run them over the frame (ended up doing the tapered body lift, but we were trying to run it without the lift at first). If I were to do it over again, I'd go over the frame. But after 2+ years under the frame with no issues, I won't go changing it just for "fun".
8d6b2ac7b5937ed9a0b98f84dec15164.jpg
85cbab45d6085af242a2f9eef7d3fc27.jpg

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Holy giant pics Dave!:rofl:

My airdog is mounted on the passenger frame rail straight across from where it would mount on the drivers side. I have an oversize tank as well.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I guess what is wrong with a FASS? I mean their bracket bolts to the bed bolt outside of the frame where it doesn't matter how big of a fuel tank the OP has. Or a mounting the airdog on the outside of the frame?

paulrahoi

Oct 14, 2019
Airdog vs FAAS

I guess what is wrong with a FASS? I mean their bracket bolts to the bed bolt outside of the frame where it doesn't matter how big of a fuel tank the OP has. Or a mounting the airdog on the outside of the frame?

Seems to be just preference between a fast or airdog

Thats what it seems like. It's like asking someone Ford vs GM vs Chrysler, they all get the job done.

I was left with the impression that Airdog and FAAS were comparable products, but that Airdog provided much better customer support if anything went wrong. The Airdog might have been mounted on the outside of the frame, but I'm not sure if that would create more potential for gelling in the cold...(?) Anyway... the filler tube was another non-standard issue, and a lift pump didn't seem like it was worth the extra hassles/costs.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
My pump is mounted up by the drivers seat, underside above the forward drive shaft. No pump filters so accessability is not as important

My fuel filters are mounted on passenger side outside of the frame rails