PPE and EFI Live together????

TheMyth

YouDontSeeMe
Aug 21, 2012
I don't work at the dealership so the exact equipment the use I don't know but the service guy told me they hooked it up to their computers and that was what they pulled. Maybe someone who works at a dealership could chime in

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
You don't put Efi on top of another tuner. If it had a ppe on it he would have pulled that tune looked at it and realized that it wasn't stock. Then made whatever changes he wanted to the flashed it back in the truck. It is then it's very own efi tune. Completely separate from the ppe tune that was on it. The ppe tune was no longer a part of your programming once he was finished

Exactly. Can't stack Efi on ppe. Also how do you know its a ppe 4 tune before?

TheMyth

YouDontSeeMe
Aug 21, 2012
I didn't know the type of tune prior (wasn't sure if it was tuned), the dealership is the one who stated the type of tune. Again I don't know the extent of their computers and the ability to determine it. Ill ask them today an see if they can run me thru how they identified it.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Ok, to state they know its a PPE lvl4 tune in there is far fetched unless they had the tuner that put that tune in the truck. No scanner or tuner (besides PPE) can tell you what was in it.

Next, ignore the fact they claim its a PPE tune that was in the ECM. EFI Live only makes changes to factory parameters in the ECM to benifit the user in what they desire for power and/or drivablility. It does not come with any preloaded tunes unless the tuner built some. If someone used EFI Live to retune the truck, they could have a done a few things.

1. Made some tuning changes to the orginal tune that was in your truck. If that was infact a PPE tune, it still is a PPE tune with tweeks done to it. Its not a 100% new tune and is not a "stacked" tune. parameters inside the tune were changed from what PPE made. you would have to know eveery single table PPE touches and change them around or put stock tables back in place for it not to be a PPE tune.

or

2. they flashed in a new stock tune via your vin, took that tune and made you a new tune off that, then flashed that in (this would be its own tune and have nothing to do with the tune that came out of it unless they copy/pasted from the old tune)

Also, there is no set HP limit on the allison, stock or built. You can not say "jim" can load a 90hp tune in his allison and go out and never have an issue with it due to power. tuning, driver, and a whole lot of other factors play into the roll on just how long a trans will last before a limp or worse. ANYTHING over stock hp reduces the life of an allison. Sure you can keep your foot out of 5th gear to keep it from limping but if your running that big a tune that it will limp that easy in 5th, it wont be long before your other clutches are toast inside or you loose a converter and you go nowhere fast.

TheMyth

YouDontSeeMe
Aug 21, 2012
Thanks for that info. So this is what I am looking at doing. Te dealership said they will put my computer back to stock erasing all programming (not sure if that is 100% true) then having Brandon run EFI and put a dialed back tune in. I want to do something that will keep my trans from going again but not too sure what I should do and what is best. I have no intent to race it or do trailer pulls. Mainly daily driver and towing. Ideas?

02CCSB

Built
May 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Canada
I HIGHLY doubt the dealership could look at their scanner and say it has x-brand tune on it. I doubt they would know anything other than it's not stock.

Anyways, if your tranny is cooked now, build it. The extra cost while it's out vs a stock rebuild is pretty minimal.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thanks for that info. So this is what I am looking at doing. Te dealership said they will put my computer back to stock erasing all programming (not sure if that is 100% true) then having Brandon run EFI and put a dialed back tune in. I want to do something that will keep my trans from going again but not too sure what I should do and what is best. I have no intent to race it or do trailer pulls. Mainly daily driver and towing. Ideas?

Whats in bold is true. dont worry about that. Honestly, a little 50-60hp tune may be your best bet but there is no garrentees your trans wont limp due to other factors.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
You can stack ECM tunes.

But it's like a box of chocolates... you never know what you'll get. We ended up with 52PSI boost in Blue and bursting.

But some combos will work. Have a spare ECM ready.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
To clear up a few things, yes you could in fact have a PPE tune stacked with EFILIVE. PPE makes some changes to tune aspects that EFILIVE CANNOT see. EFILIVE lets us see a certain set of parameters, but not all of them by a longshot(we probably get to see maybe 10% of what is actually in the tune file). If you read out a ECM previously tuned by a PPE and then modify it, you could end up with some DRASTIC changes made that you wouldn't know about. Even returning an ECM to stock with your PPE does not in many cases return it to actual stock. I've read out a few ECM's with PPE's on them that were returned to stock, and in every one of them they had small changes I could find still in them and most had copyright notifications that popped up. And some tuners put in there tune file who made them and wether it is copyrighted work. So GM could have been able to figure out who's it is.

There is ALOT of info contained in tune file that many people just don't know is there because they have never seen it. I wish we had a program like TUNERCAT that compares the actual HEX code of the tune files(like the TUNERCAT for OBD1 chips) so we could see just how many tables are actually different between 2 tunes.