PPE and EFI Live together????

TheMyth

YouDontSeeMe
Aug 21, 2012
Ok I'm hoping that someone can answer this for me.

Is it possible that when a truck has been tuned prior by PPE programer on stage 4, then it is programed with and EFI Live without returning it to stock, that remnants of the PPE program remain?

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
when you read the truck with efi, it will think the current calibration in the ECM is "stock" but it would actually be "PPE level X". That would be your "stock" tune unless you return the PPE back to stock.

I would return it back to stock..

TheMyth

YouDontSeeMe
Aug 21, 2012
I never programed the truck with the PPE. thats the problem. I just blew my transmission and it is believed this is why because someone read the ECM and it showed up as being on level 4 tuned by PPE. So i want to know if tuning it with an EFI Live would only add onto it or over ride it or just over ride the things changed in EFI

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Efi live would over ride it. but your tuner needs to start with a stock tune. not the ppe tune lol

TheMyth

YouDontSeeMe
Aug 21, 2012
yea it looks like i am going to have to have the dealership reset it to stock and then have it redone with EFI again

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
Your tranny won't hold if you have 90+hp over stock. Anything over you would smoke your tranny anyway.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
You can get a stock tune and do it yourself with efi. Check out diesel place forum. There are stock tunes in the library.

TheMyth

YouDontSeeMe
Aug 21, 2012
From what I have been told about the actual gains of HP and TQ up to 150+ the stock tranny will be fine it is just a matter of letting off of it hitting 5th.

The dealership that my truck is at now if resetting the computer for free, so i'm just gonna let them do it.

I'll just say my trans was headed out the door when i bought it which is why i think the original owner got rid of it. Note to everyone, if you sense something might be wrong with it get and extended warranty!

02CCSB

Built
May 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Canada
Just download a stock tune and compare it to yours.

Your peak power is going to appear at 100% TPS between 160mpa& 180mpa.

Stock mm3 is 1474-1424 on an LLY.

TheMyth

YouDontSeeMe
Aug 21, 2012
theres nothing stock about my computer. It had PPE prior to me and then another program with EFI live. I dont own an EFI i had someone off here do it for me.

02CCSB

Built
May 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Canada
OK, so get someone to download the existing tune file for you and post it up here and one of us will tell you how stock or how far from stock it appears to be :thumb:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I never programed the truck with the PPE. thats the problem. I just blew my transmission and it is believed this is why because someone read the ECM and it showed up as being on level 4 tuned by PPE. So i want to know if tuning it with an EFI Live would only add onto it or over ride it or just over ride the things changed in EFI
Read it with what? What said it was a level 4 PPE? Who did your tune? What did they use to start with?

TheMyth

YouDontSeeMe
Aug 21, 2012
the dealership pulled my computer to see what was going on. The trans guy where i took it is also their diesel guy and is pretty good. They arent giving me any problems but wanted to let me know just incase i didnt. Which i had no idea what had been done to the truck prior to me owning it. Brandon did my tune, which I actually love how my truck responds, I just think the PPE and then his on top of a already failing trans sealed the deal

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
You don't put Efi on top of another tuner. If it had a ppe on it he would have pulled that tune looked at it and realized that it wasn't stock. Then made whatever changes he wanted to the flashed it back in the truck. It is then it's very own efi tune. Completely separate from the ppe tune that was on it. The ppe tune was no longer a part of your programming once he was finished

TheMyth

YouDontSeeMe
Aug 21, 2012
Well all I know if the dealership ran diagnostic on my truck ad then came back and said it had a PPE program stage 4 on it and he tuned it with EFI live.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
You're not understanding how it works. You CAN'T have Ppe and efi in the truck at the same time. If you had Ppe on there and then someone tunes it with efi, the Ppe is no longer on the vehicle. Efi completely rewrites the ECM. It's not like canned tuners where you can have Ppe downloaded onto the ECM and run a edge on level 5. Doesn't work that way.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Can't stack flash programmers...

Your trans went out bc it was beat on in a 125 hp tune, that's it, it has nothing to do with who's tuning was on it. It has solely to do with who's foot was on the accelerator...

TheMyth

YouDontSeeMe
Aug 21, 2012
Guys I understand that you can't have tunes stacked, I got it. If the EFI live was the last tune, how come the dealership is showing the PPE tune?