Nitrous basics

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Pat is right on the money. There is reasons as I stated before why I don't sell the SD Nitrous Systems any more. We had no idea of the limit of the Dmax motors back then and the distruction it could cause if used in such quanties that we were (failure rate is high). If this makes me "to stuborn to learn" in some folks eyes, it's a free country still. You know what they say about opinions. Those that know me, know for sure and for certain I don't put out junk or promote it.

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Pat is right on the money. There is reasons as I stated before why I don't sell the SD Nitrous Systems any more. We had no idea of the limit of the Dmax motors back then and the distruction it could cause if used in such quanties that we were (failure rate is high). If this makes me "to stuborn to learn" in some folks eyes, it's a free country still. You know what they say about opinions. Those that know me, know for sure and for certain I don't put out junk or promote it.

It not your falt people are ignorant with there tuning methods.....thats the nature of high performance parts and engines, things will break and/or bust.

OK i think i got it SD, your talking about nitrous in general, not so much about the nano itself. see i thought you were saying the nano by itself would cause desruction above and beyond what a standard system would. Thats why i said prove it.....

Yes i agree that nitrous has the ability to destroy engines, ignorance can destroy everything in excistence now!
the point of this thread was to bring up the different tuning strategies that myself and others have used in repitition to make HP--reliably, and consistently. that was when i expresed my views about the nano, to me it has shown great bennifits to anyone useing nitrous, on paper, on the dyno, and on the track!

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
For those that have to have a standard nitous system, www.gotsqueeze.com is another nitrous company i have helped develop product for before i got involved with nano, i have plenty to add to this as well.... accually im on the front page of there site due to the first record i set in april of 07'

Last edited:

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
Since we are off the basic nitrous gig, can anybody speak to the increase in burn rate of diesel/nitrous and how it correlates to straight diesel?

Can we use (as a rule of thumb) a reduction of 5* of timing for every 1lb of N2O? To many variables, huh? Fuel, compression, etc

That would be a help to N2O newbies, i would think, I/we/they all want to know where to start with fuel/N2O and timing/boost.

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Since we are off the basic nitrous gig, can anybody speak to the increase in burn rate of diesel/nitrous and how it correlates to straight diesel?

Can we use (as a rule of thumb) a reduction of 5* of timing for every 1lb of N2O? To many variables, huh? Fuel, compression, etc

That would be a help to N2O newbies, i would think, I/we/they all want to know where to start with fuel/N2O and timing/boost.

With the addition of more Oxygen and cold oxygen at that the burn rate will be significantly, more potent and will burn faster, so by backing off the timing your allowing for a fuel combustion delay to compensate for the quicker burn of the nitrous.......Also your reducing the potential for higher cylinder psi by backing off the timing, that would other wise be high enough to bend rods and brake other expensive parts..........Yea too many variables....:D

Last edited:

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
With the addition of more Oxygen and cold oxygen at that the burn rate will be significantly, more potent and will burn faster, so by backing off the timing your allowing for a fuel combustion delay to compensate for the quicker burn of the nitrous.......Also your reducing the potential for higher cylinder psi by backing off the timing, that would other wise be high enough to bend rods and brake other expensive parts..........Yea too many variables....:D

Thats what i thought. In hind site it was a silly question. As i remember in my reading several of us want to use nitrous and have a kit, just not comfortable where to start with diesel/N2O tuning. T

Thought that would be a good direction to run.

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Thats what i thought. In hind site it was a silly question. As i remember in my reading several of us want to use nitrous and have a kit, just not comfortable where to start with diesel/N2O tuning. T

Thought that would be a good direction to run.

lets see what everyone else has to say, you've got my input allready. :cool2:

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Timing

My findings is you don't need to back the timing off with the little kits. Nobody has shown me how it can advance the timing when it can't burn without the diesel burning first. So when the diesel has to burn first its still the same "timing". Will it have a higher CP? YES IT WILL! It has to to make more power. This is not the same as a spark "timed" engine.PS I had a RD 400 with NOS on it back it the 80's. Jeff

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
My findings is you don't need to back the timing off with the little kits. Nobody has shown me how it can advance the timing when it can't burn without the diesel burning first. So when the diesel has to burn first its still the same "timing". Will it have a higher CP? YES IT WILL! It has to to make more power. This is not the same as a spark "timed" engine.PS I had a RD 400 with NOS on it back it the 80's. Jeff

I can see that, if you had a little room everywhere. Say a 040 jet 28* and some fuel?

Is this in the range of what you are thinking?

80's- good times. RD with N2O had to be fun.:D

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Nos

I have run up in the lower 100's with a single stage and no timing retard. So yes to answer your question. Now when you try and make big power 2 or 3 stages you might want to back up a few degree's but not much or you will get hot with egt's. I would like to see how many have tryed nos with high timing to see what it did with egt's? Not a well I was told but have you tried it. Everytime you back the timing off I would see it getting hotter. Jeff

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
I have run up in the lower 100's with a single stage and no timing retard. So yes to answer your question. Now when you try and make big power 2 or 3 stages you might want to back up a few degree's but not much or you will get hot with egt's. I would like to see how many have tryed nos with high timing to see what it did with egt's? Not a well I was told but have you tried it. Everytime you back the timing off I would see it getting hotter. Jeff

I never tried it with less timing. I was running it with the TTS big tune of the time. The EGTs were HOT!!!

It looks like some one will be trying tests here so...It would be interesting to see the findings of some one running a .040 in the different loc. (pre comp, pre I/C, post I/C) on a dyno and watching EGTs carefully to get some accurate data. I saw what it did on Casper (EGTs? Pat). We need info on EGTs and power differances to see where it's smarter to run and possibly safer (stocker and bigger charger)? Hard data from a Dmax motored truck without just talk and with nothing to gain in sales.

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego

I may be the closest thing to the guinea pig then. I built for what i thought nitrous would be and have the parts to allow some margin for error.

hopefully i can bring some more light to this for all of us. All i need to add is 2 more bungs, another pre IC and another post for temps.

Lot to monitor, wonder if i can get it all on EFI? Figure it out when i get closer.

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
I never tried it with less timing. I was running it with the TTS big tune of the time. The EGTs were HOT!!!

It looks like some one will be trying tests here so...It would be interesting to see the findings of some one running a .040 in the different loc. (pre comp, pre I/C, post I/C) on a dyno and watching EGTs carefully to get some accurate data. I saw what it did on Casper (EGTs? Pat). We need info on EGTs and power differances to see where it's smarter to run and possibly safer (stocker and bigger charger)? Hard data from a Dmax motored truck without just talk and with nothing to gain in sales.

There is no reason for it to be so hot!! unless you over looked something......:hello:

The only time i saw a temp increase was when the user neglected proper tuning and exhaust evacuation.........Did you guys have a stock head and cam? what about turbo? Stock manifolds? mufflers/ cats?.........It all matters very much!

If ya dont address the neglection, the engine will only flow as much as it can get out,High egt's are sometimes from "air stall" within the engine To much DP is a good indication of this issue.....But hey im sure you guys know this allready and adressed it Too.........:rolleyes:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
There is no reason for it to be so hot!! unless you over looked something......:hello:

The only time i saw a temp increase was when the user neglected proper tuning and exhaust evacuation.........Did you guys have a stock head and cam? what about turbo? Stock manifolds? mufflers/ cats?.........It all matters very much!

If ya dont address the neglection, the engine will only flow as much as it can get out,High egt's are sometimes from "air stall" within the engine To much DP is a good indication of this issue.....But hey im sure you guys know this allready and adressed it Too.........:rolleyes:

I'm confused.
So what you are saying is that you need to change all of these parts in red to succesfully run nos and keep egt's down?
Doesn't really sound like nos is cheap to run to me if you want to avoid damage then.

I think someone in this thread just contradicted themselves with the above post. Going by what you are saying, if you want to run a bottle, you better have 10g's laying around to improve airflow-or replace broken parts.:rofl:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.

Care to share what your engine mods were at the time Super Diesel?

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Nos

I was thinking there was a limit on timing b ack in the day. I think it's a fine line to not rattle the motor but enough timing to help with egt's. I will agree that if your not willing to hurt the motor you probably should not play with nos. I think the little stuff under .070 is fine and "shouldn't" hurt anything but you never know. Jeff

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
If it was the tune that typically dyno'd 440rwhp on otherwise stock trucks (First TTS Extreme) the timing was about 20 deg, since the table that caps the timing to 20 deg wasn't discovered until much later. All the tunes had that cap. Most the PPE or Quad or TTS trucks were flatlining their pyro IIRC.

Casper's EGT gauge would top out at 1000' when the nitrous was in play, and run 1550-1650 with it off going through the traps. When I first sprayed, 20 deg max was all there was, and it would bottom out at about the 1/8th marker IIRC.

Yes. It was one from the very begining.
There is no reason for it to be so hot!! unless you over looked something......:hello: Its call "Making More Power". Higher CP, more burnt fuel.....
The only time i saw a temp increase was when the user neglected proper tuning and exhaust evacuation.........Did you guys have a stock head and cam? what about turbo? Stock manifolds? mufflers/ cats?.........It all matters very much! Didn't have much available at the time. Your newer to the Dmaxes than I thought!

I'm confused.
So what you are saying is that you need to change all of these parts in red to succesfully run nos and keep egt's down?
Doesn't really sound like nos is cheap to run to me if you want to avoid damage then.

I think someone in this thread just contradicted themselves with the above post. Going by what you are saying, if you want to run a bottle, you better have 10g's laying around to improve airflow-or replace broken parts.:rofl:
Your right on the money. Well said.
Care to share what your engine mods were at the time Super Diesel?
Just the old TTS Xtreme. Transgo and HD T/C.
I was thinking there was a limit on timing b ack in the day. I think it's a fine line to not rattle the motor but enough timing to help with egt's. I will agree that if your not willing to hurt the motor you probably should not play with nos. I think the little stuff under .070 is fine and "shouldn't" hurt anything but you never know. Jeff
I'm thinking along the same lines Jeff. .070 is slightly big. RyanU had a good increase with this size jet. I would focus around a .040-.050 for the time if I was to do it again.

Last edited: