Nitrous basics

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
You can, if you want, make an aluminum rocket by mixing aluminum powder and an oxidizer such as N2O and let her rip. Powerful too IIRC.

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
I've seen where guys have said running N20 has helped keep egts in check. Can someone explain that to me since you all are saying your egts went higher? What would make theirs different?

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
I did Pat. Back in the beginning.

Realy? The more I sprayed the higher and quicker they sky rocketed (and this was done on a Dmax motor). Be very careful of using this info. This is what blows intake systems apart and does internal damages from a back fire. A few of us have witnessed this on Dmaxes.

The higher the EGTs, the softer the aluminum gets (closer to melting). Now add pressure and lots of it. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Then you had a exhaust restriction.

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
I am just going to assume that these pistons are eroding from molten loss, stemming from sustained high temps. Water can help with this.

If there is something else going on, I don't know what.

I need a kit, time to get busy testing something new.

I think that the reason there seeing melting problems( aside from mechanical failures/ inabilities), is because there not "properly" addressing the exhaust part of the equation. Intake is only as good as you can get it out of the motor, nitrous or not!!

to much intake and not enough exhaust you Will have issues with high cylinder psi and high temps, this is not rocket science, it's just a air pump!!!:D

what goes in has to come out!

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
ive never sprayed nitrous on a diesel but how come these problems dont come up on gassers? ive sprayed 200+ shots on gas motors running 15:1 compression with no problems....Would we run into the same problems on gassers if you were running 40LBS of boost then adding 200+ shot?

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
ive never sprayed nitrous on a diesel but how come these problems dont come up on gassers? ive sprayed 200+ shots on gas motors running 15:1 compression with no problems....Would we run into the same problems on gassers if you were running 40LBS of boost then adding 200+ shot?

depending on the motor configuation/ build i would say yes, you could have the same issues.

but like with anything if you Prepare for it properly you will have little to no problems.

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
to much intake and not enough exhaust you Will have issues with high cylinder psi and high temps, this is not rocket science, it's just a air pump!!!:D

what goes in has to come out!

I'm not sure to many folks here need "How Internal Combustion Works 101".

So is it that we have crap exhaust flow that causes EGTs to skyrocket on the pulling track and on the drag strip? Maybe this is why we need Pyrometers. I always thought it was fuel and lack of enough air. Stupid dang restrictive turbos!

Last edited:

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
I'm not sure to many folks here need "How Internal Combustion Works 101".

So is it that we have crap exhaust flow that causes EGTs to skyrocket on the pulling track and on the drag strip? Maybe this is why we have Pyrometers. I alway thought it was the fuel and lack of enough air.

Well, if there is no exhaust flow how do you expect to flow on the intake side.... Most any engine builder will tell you the same.

They work hand in hand.

Lack of air and fuel may be the case up to a certain point on certain builds but when your doing what most of you are doing it is very evident you need more exhaust flow. besides more exhaust flow is allways a good thing.

Last edited:

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
By the way, that's where I saw melted aluminum. Too high of piston temps in motorcycle engines yielded little balls of alum on the porcelain insulator.

That and it eats into the aluminium cylinders right through the coating. Then when the fuel solenoid shut all the way off it's a loud bang and flash of fire between your legs:D. Back on egts...so with a vvt turbo we can open the vains up until we get egt drop when spraying or atleast have it stay the same temp right?

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Power generates heat. The inferno of internal combustion does this. Please Wade, show us. Don't tell us (all I've seen so far). I'm sure you findings wont be scued or bias.

I agree it creats heat, but a restriction is a restriction, further increaseing heat, PSI, and decreaseing power output.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
With 40 psi of boost in a spark engine, you'll normally be running methanol instead, and your EGT's will normally not go higher than 1250°F. And you won't be running 15:1 compression with that boost. Compression drives up piston temps.

I was just throwing it out there...The last motor i had ran that compression that i sprayed on. I ran VP C16 fuel. I know running that kinda boost youd be down into the 8-9:1 area on gas motors. I never got into blown or turboed gas motors.

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
I agree it creats heat, but a restriction is a restriction, further increaseing heat, PSI, and decreaseing power output.

So finally we have an answer to the modified pulling truck dilema! Is this why they have to run water injection? Exhaust restriction. This isn't the end all Wade. It's not just exhaust restriction there bud. There's a thing called "BTUs"
(British Thermal Units) thats pretty high in diesel (147K mjs per gallon IIRC), which is much higher than gasoline (125K mjs per gallon or so). This is why gassers will never compeat with the diesel engine. This also maybe part of the reason for the extreme EGTs when subject to more complete combustion with the assistance of N2O.

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
So finally we have an answer to the modified pulling truck dilema! Is this why they have to run water injection? Exhaust restriction. This isn't the end all Wade. It's not just exhaust restriction there bud. There's a thing called "BTUs"
(British Thermal Units) thats pretty high in diesel (147K mjs per gallon IIRC), which is much higher than gasoline (125K mjs per gallon or so). This is why gassers will never compeat with the diesel engine. This also maybe part of the reason for the extreme EGTs when subject to more complete combustion with the assistance of N2O.

I agree, but i was thinking beyond the fuel, and such as you described.

Yes typically you can see higher heat due to initial nitrous use, Heck i did too, i saw over 2000*, then i realized i had a exhaust restriction, put a better flowing manifold on and a 2CM bigger exhaust housing with a bigger wastgate and i droped the boost from 60 to 50lbs, DP went from 103 to 55 ish and my egt's went down 300*.

After that i added more nitrous about a 0.030 increase on both stages and walla i got another 100* drop!!!!

Then i added the nano system to my truck and the power went up a bit 2.5 tenths faster and the EGT's came down about 50-75*

There ya go, my life story.....:D

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
It might be unique to turbo diesels, since we run higher compression, higher boost, and higher EGT's than other forms of racing with the exception of top fuel, and they don't spray.

Wrong!

Big CI N/A motors or mountain motors and blown/ turbo motors ALL see 1700* consistently, and some run higher compression than we do, and to make things worse the turbo/blower #'s are close to 50PSI now....

the P/M and T/S guys are doing things that you wouldent imagine with gasoline engines....

But most Dont spray with the above combo, But in that case compression would drop to about 11.1-14.1, which still is alot higher than your giving credit for:D