Nitrous basics

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
Wade does the Nano system actually inject HPA or nitrogen into the N2O bottle or just maintain pressure through a one way valve type gig?

The NANO system does put nitrogen or HPA (high pressure air) in the nitrous bottle. It keeps the pressure in the bottle high enough to keep the nitrous in liquid form which sits at the bottom of the tank to be drawn through the draw tube. That is what allows you to use all of the nitrous in the bottle. When you go to refill it you have to hold it upside down and purge the HPA or nitrogen out until you see white. Then you refill. They say a single HPA bottle normally takes care of 15 lbs of nitrous.

I started to research NANO before I ever got in this thread and to me it makes good sense and is something that I have heard people discuss the concept of using HPA to keep the pressure of the bottle up. I think KB has even made reference to something similar. I hope that if any of you get serious with nitrous and want consistant results that you can judge NANO for what it's worth and not associate it with DP. As Pat says, parts is parts - the people that make or are sponsored by them doesn't matter as long as they work. Check out LS forums if you want unbiased opinions of the system - many of those guys love to spray.

Last edited:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
The NANO system does put nitrogen or HPA (high pressure air) in the nitrous bottle. It keeps the pressure in the bottle high enough to keep the nitrous in liquid form which sits at the bottom of the tank to be drawn through the draw tube. That is what allows you to use all of the nitrous in the bottle. When you go to refill it you have to hold it upside down and purge the HPA or nitrogen out until you see white. Then you refill. They say a single HPA bottle normally takes care of 15 lbs of nitrous.

I started to research NANO before I ever got in this thread and to me it makes good sense and is something that I have heard people discuss the concept of using HPA to keep the pressure of the bottle up. I think KB has even made reference to something similar. I hope that if any of you get serious with nitrous and want consistant results that you can judge NANO for what it's worth and not associate it with DP. As Pat says, parts is parts - the people that make or are sponsored by them doesn't matter as long as they work. Check out LS forums if you unbiased opinions of the system - many of those guys love to spray.

This idea is used in many applications-and IMO is the best way to maintain constant pressure in a vessel-which in this case is a NOS bottle.

In my line of work, we pump liquid nitrogen and liquid carbon dioxide in MASSIVE quantities at ridiculously high rates. To keep both of these in a liquid state as the volume of liquid in the vessel decreases, we have to keep the pressure above the boiling point (which is well below 0*C!) otherwise it turns into gas. By pressurizing the vessels, it allows us to pump out the entire vessel while keeping it in a liquid form. The same principle as what othrgirl said Nano uses.

In both applications, we use nitrogen gas to maintain a constant head pressure.

N2 is the best gas to use as it is an inert gas and worst case, if you ran your bottle down and injected it into the engine, it would just put out the fire in cylinders!!

The matter of who makes this system is irrelevant. I'm sure Nano is not the only one that makes this system, and if they are, then I should go into business and develop and market my own!! The way I see it Diesel Power is just telling people that this is what he uses and it works for him. If there is another system out there that someone else uses-then speak up.

Is it really necessary or not? As stated previously, I believe it depends on how big a shot you are running. I also believe keeping the pressure constant is also important so maybe it is. For the budget build, with a very small shot, you may not need it but if it was me, I would just for peace of mind!

Last edited:

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Never run a 10#. Only 15# bottles. I would last about 3 good runs with the jets I used. How ever I also moded my solinoids to flow more than the typicle .125 (in which they originally were).

Ok. go ahead and let the "Well that an't sh*t!" "This one time,,,,,,at band camp..." fly.

I'm glad your thinking beyond things Wade (like whos going to foot the repare bill for these good folks you talk into doing this). :popcorn:

Last edited:

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
NOS usage

You will use 1 lbs per 10 sec. with a mid 50's jet at 900 psi. 82 jet will get you 1.5 lbs. per 10 sec. 125 jet gets you "not much time at all" WOW! Mr. Oaks that will get-er-done!:eek: Jeff

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Short poll

how many runs per 10# bottle do you guys get?

Or, if you know, how many lbs of nitrous used per 10 second pull or run?

Just getting an idea of consumption rates across the spectrum of uses.

regular 10# bottle about 2-3 passes before performance droped significantly of course the first one(pass) was allways the best....

Two 0.60 jets, Two .068 solonoids, and started with 1100 PSI

roughly about 2-2.5 lbs would be used per pass

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Never run a 10#. Only 15# bottles. I would last about 3 good runs with the jets I used. How ever I also moded my solinoids to flow more than the typicle .125 (in which they originally were).

Ok. go ahead and let the "Well that an't sh*t!" "This one time,,,,,,at band camp..." fly.

I'm glad your thinking beyond things Wade (like whos going to foot the repare bill for these good folks you talk into doing this). :popcorn:

Do you and i need to have a pow-wow? im not sure you understand exactly what im trying to get across here. Foot the bill for what? i think you should call me, or i'll call you.

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
Wade, how many passes you make in a season?

How many pistons you burn?

How many times you win?

Whats the win the fix ratio?

:)

James

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Wade, how many passes you make in a season?

How many pistons you burn?

How many times you win?

Whats the win the fix ratio?

:)

James

Pistons burn/ damaged------Not One!

How many wins? Hundreds.....:cool2:

Championships in 2 years?
07' NHRDA P/S winner
07' NHRDA pro 1 winner
08' NHRDA P/S winner
08 NHRDA pro 1 R/U
Big rig nationals winner 07'
National record setting passes during event (3) Best of 11.38ET
Big rig nationals 08' 3rd
Not to mention local IHRA/NHRA events.....Local track (MIR)event Records (4)
BG 07' kentucky QD #1 qualifier
BG 07'4th place in QD
BG 07'track record for CR Dodge 11.54ET @ 108*F
07' fastest time for the truck single charger 10.90@125 9/07

Races since i bought it about 4-500!!!

Races on nitrous 3-400!!

Win to fix ratio?........Lets just say im batting a 1000!!!

If that not enough i have teardown pics on my web site that shows the entire engine inside @ 90K i now have 110K on my 04' www.ngmdiesel.com for those interested in seeing how reliable nitrous can be when tuned correctly! Thats right still to this day, as it was from the showroom, no rebuilds.

Im sure i know what im doing...
Need i say more?

Last edited:

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Do you and i need to have a pow-wow? im not sure you understand exactly what im trying to get across here. Foot the bill for what? i think you should call me, or i'll call you.

Talk to you about what??? I already know what this does. I see your in plausable deniability after advising on here what needs to be done :confused:. I never have nor never will advise folks on how to possibly harm there motors knowing full well of the effects of what I recomended. Pow-wow? You smoking that stuff out of a piece pipe or something? Unlike you, I'm advising of the possible aftermath this could bring by using it. User beware! I've been there, done that.

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Talk to you about what??? I already know what this does. I see your in plausable deniability after advising on here what needs to be done :confused:. I never have nor never will advise folks on how to possibly harm there motors knowing full well of the effects of what I recomended. Pow-wow? You smoking that stuff out of a piece pipe or something? Unlike you, I'm advising of the possible aftermath this could bring by using it. User beware! I've been there, done that.
Show me how on earth this can harm anything....
Better yet Prove me wrong!

I know for a fact you cant......

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
lotsa reasons really. BTW- that N2O book was a good read, thanks.:hug:

First two that come to mind? The need to increase cyl pressure and remove general weak points on this first effort.

I needed a constant at my power/weight, the stock rods would not meet that requirement.

Wade, congrats i wasn't aware you had won that much. I woulda expected atleast 2-3 sets of pistons wipes out. No disrespect, its a learning curve thing.

And yet, What do i know about diesels......:rolleyes:

Unlike some of these folks i'll try and help you with forward progression.....and the advancement of nitrous /diesel technology

Last edited:

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
I'd say now a days that with advancement with efi tunning for nitrous is easier than back then. There seems to be some quick lbz and lmm's on nitrous on here. Just like with anything when not tunned properly for the setup either it runs like crap, blows up or breaks things, or does both at the same time.

Last edited:

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
I have had opportunity to trash you, true. I have listened/read alot of McRat trashing, I have not. Nor am i in your shadow or on your tit. Where do i scoff Salad? Where do i disrespect Salad? I need not explain myself to you anymore than you to me. In fact, the less you know about me... the more difficult it is for you to slander or degrade me. You know very little about me.:)

I owe you lunch, perhaps we can get together over lunch and discuss this in person? I am not really malicious or complicated. Surely you have misinterpreted my posts.

X2 well said.