New upgraded avnt 37 charger??????

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
thats funny i know of i know of at least 4 trucks that have had modded stock units for almost two years and numerous hooks and strip passes. as well as being dailey driven like they where stolen with zero problems

I understand that they might be still working. However have any of these units been removed and inspected? They can be damaged and still run ok, just down on efficiency.

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
Already been done. A customer in Alabama bought a 68mm Cheetah off us us and we installed it in early 08. The new Garrett VVT came out and he bought one from us and we shipped it to him and he had it installed down there. Same truck, same driver, 2 different turbos. One turbo was perfered without a doubt over the other.

so what size is the inducer on the 68mm?

As far as failures, I have ran every possible configuration of a Cheetah for testing purposes on the sled pulling track. I personally have had one failure and we knew it was gonna happen. It was a LBZ turbine housing with a 64mm comp wheel. The turbo was originally installed for running a single CP3. After some tuning changes and duel CP3's were added we knew it would'nt last long due to the shaft speed. It lasted 3 hooks and then the bearings failed on the 3rd run at 280ft. As far as turbine failures go, the only thing I have seen is turbine fins being melted due to extreme heat, and almost all the core turbos we get in have the same issue with the factory turbine wheel that was designed for a VVT by Garrett.

So are you saying that mix and matching parts that are not designed for the application are better then and Matched/Engineered unit?

Both are good turbos and serve there purpose, we sell both for that reason.

And for the few failures that have happened, if we are made aware of it we immediately take care of it and get the customer taken care of.

Are you sure your not mistaken?

Jerrod
FPE

My response/questions in red

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
Originally Posted by jneal
Already been done. A customer in Alabama bought a 68mm Cheetah off us us and we installed it in early 08. The new Garrett VVT came out and he bought one from us and we shipped it to him and he had it installed down there. Same truck, same driver, 2 different turbos. One turbo was perfered without a doubt over the other.

so what size is the inducer on the 68mm?

I believe his is a 2.5 or 2.6 inducer Dan.

As far as failures, I have ran every possible configuration of a Cheetah for testing purposes on the sled pulling track. I personally have had one failure and we knew it was gonna happen. It was a LBZ turbine housing with a 64mm comp wheel. The turbo was originally installed for running a single CP3. After some tuning changes and duel CP3's were added we knew it would'nt last long due to the shaft speed. It lasted 3 hooks and then the bearings failed on the 3rd run at 280ft. As far as turbine failures go, the only thing I have seen is turbine fins being melted due to extreme heat, and almost all the core turbos we get in have the same issue with the factory turbine wheel that was designed for a VVT by Garrett.

So are you saying that mix and matching parts that are not designed for the application are better then and Matched/Engineered unit?

I never said they were better, I said they work and they work well.

Both are good turbos and serve there purpose, we sell both for that reason.

And for the few failures that have happened, if we are made aware of it we immediately take care of it and get the customer taken care of.

Are you sure your not mistaken?

Umm yea, I am sure, if we are made aware of a failure we fix it, plain and simple. If a customer doesn't notify us of a failure we can not fix it.Jerrod
FPE

I went with BLUE

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
So what turbo did he like better? what did he like/not like about one or the other. does he post on the forums?

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
So what turbo did he like better? what did he like/not like about one or the other. does he post on the forums?

For his application he like the Cheetah better, but that was for his application. Not sure on what all he liked and disliked, I just know he prefered one over the other. He does post on DP but I have never seen him post over here. His screen name is Sdaver.

And Dan I'm not putting down the Garrett charger, they both have their place. You on the other hand seem to put down anything you don't sell.

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
i looked at the wheels that where going in my turbo when it was be made and i have inspected them recently. comp wheel looks the same and there is no shaft play. turbo produces same amount of boost as when new. this is after a summer that included a couple of dyno days a trip to the track where i where i ran in the high 8's with crappy tuning. and about 15 to 20 hooks to a sled. all along while doing pretty heavy towing in between events. mine looks and performs perfect. larry beat the hell out of his 68 mm for quite some time and i think it was in new condition when he took it off and switched to a 71.5[
I understand that they might be still working. However have any of these units been removed and inspected? They can be damaged and still run ok, just down on efficiency.

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
For his application he like the Cheetah better, but that was for his application. Not sure on what all he liked and disliked, I just know he prefered one over the other. He does post on DP but I have never seen him post over here. His screen name is Sdaver.

And Dan I'm not putting down the Garrett charger, they both have their place. You on the other hand seem to put down anything you don't sell.

I'm not putting anything down, only speaking from experiance. We were told a long time ago from Garrett that these modified turbos that use a non AVNT style turbine wheel will fail. Now they are failing and you/your company keeps pushing them.

I Just want people to be educated on what they are buying/interestd in, people asked question I have provided answers/data/experiance. Have you noticed I have not put down any other modified AVNT's that are using a AVNT style turbine wheels?;)

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
i looked at the wheels that where going in my turbo when it was be made and i have inspected them recently. comp wheel looks the same and there is no shaft play. turbo produces same amount of boost as when new. this is after a summer that included a couple of dyno days a trip to the track where i where i ran in the high 8's with crappy tuning. and about 15 to 20 hooks to a sled. all along while doing pretty heavy towing in between events. mine looks and performs perfect. larry beat the hell out of his 68 mm for quite some time and i think it was in new condition when he took it off and switched to a 71.5[

What about the turbine wheel? You will need to disassemble the turbine side to check. My comments have never been on the comp wheel.

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
I'm not putting anything down, only speaking from experiance. We were told a long time ago from Garrett that these modified turbos that use a non AVNT style turbine wheel will fail. Now they are failing and you/your company keeps pushing them.
I Just want people to be educated on what they are buying/interestd in, people asked question I have provided answers/data/experiance. Have you noticed I have not put down any other modified AVNT's that are using a AVNT style turbine wheels?;)

Now they are failing, WTF are you talking about Dan. Hell I had a PPE duel fueler controller fail and PPE said they would replace it for $795, you wanna talk about taking care of a customer that uses your products? So I could say that you duel fueler controlers are now failing and you guys still push them. Give me a break, you don't have jack to back up your statements that they are failing and we are doing nothing about it. Typical PPE BS, somebody told you that talked to somebody that knows somebody that failed a charger.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Impartially: I taught an EFILive Diesel Tuning class and Garrett had folk there.

I discussed with them hybrid AVNT's. They told me they had looked at a Fleece mod'd charger and said it would cause a harmonic problem.

Whether Garrett was full of it? Dunno. I haven't tested either of them yet.

I have a very large Garrett VNT charger (102mm exducer, 1.72 A/R), but haven't played with it yet. I really believe VNT's are the way to go, but I haven't proved it yet.

It's on my "list of things to do".

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
thanks for clarifying that i would have to take it apart i was unaware. and if my memory serves me correctly they arent just sticking any wheels in these turbos. i.e. not just taking a ak5 wheel and putting it in the turbo. they have different fin designs
What about the turbine wheel? You will need to disassemble the turbine side to check. My comments have never been on the comp wheel.

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
also i would have to agree with jneal about failures. i am sure that not everyperson that has had a failure on ppe parts has posted about it. i never posted until know about my lift pump going out. this doesnt just concern ppe. every company that inovates and comes up with new products has failures. even established companys have failures. so i guess we can just say that everybodys parts are failing.

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
Now they are failing, WTF are you talking about Dan. Hell I had a PPE duel fueler controller fail and PPE said they would replace it for $795, you wanna talk about taking care of a customer that uses your products? So I could say that you duel fueler controlers are now failing and you guys still push them.

What year was it installed on? Did you buy the kit new? When you called us about the controller failing who did you talk to @ PPE? What was thier reason they wanted to charge you for a new one? Yes products do fail (thats why there is a warranty), its how the customer is taken care of that matters.

Give me a break, you don't have jack to back up your statements that they are failing and we are doing nothing about it.

That's funny I have had several complaints directly from the owners of the turbos and one of them failed when I was in the truck (i was not driving). Ok then... what changes to the design have you made to fix the problem? Is your fix to the problem saying there is no problem?

Typical PPE BS, somebody told you that talked to somebody that knows somebody that failed a charger. What is so typical about it?

I can tell you right now, If we were making something that was failing it would be redesigned or pulled from the market.

Please answer this question. How many Modified chargers that your company has built have failed? How many of those failures are related to the turbine wheel? how many are not?

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
I can tell you right now, If we were making something that was failing it would be redesigned or pulled from the market.

Please answer this question. How many Modified chargers that your company has built have failed? How many of those failures are related to the turbine wheel? how many are not?[/CO

Failures that I am aware of is 4, 3 due to overspeed and 1 due to lack of lube. Actual turbine failures, 0. And all were taken care of.

I like how you are allowed to run another supporting vendor of this site down to make yours look better. This remind anybody of a certian someone from DP?

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
I'm not running anybody off any site. So let me make sure we are crystal clear on this...

Are you 100% aware of all the failed modified chargers that have been sent back? If so, You are saying that you have had zero turbine wheel failures? what happened on the overspee
d units? just want to clarify...

I'm not sure who you are talking about on DP??? care to elaborate?

making ours look better? We dont make them. We are just a supporter of Garrett products.

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
dan i happen to remeber when my lift pump failed i called and talked to you directly you wanted me to send my lift pump back at a cost to me. no big deal. this is after i had to pay the bill to get my truck towed. not cheap. but what got me was when i asked what i was suppose to do with my truck while i didnt have a lift pump. maybe you could send me a new to use while mine was being worked on. or maybe you just send me a new one all together. instead you suggested that maybe i should just buy another one that way if it failed again i would have an extra to put on while the other was down. is this the fix that you speak of. then months later when i called to report odd operation of said pump. this after it was fixed you asked if i had it hooked up correctly. sometimes pump works sometimes pump doesnt work. i guess i should have bought another one that way when it doesnt work i can just change it out right before a pull or drag race. with all the extra time i have on my hands. then repeat when it happens again later :rolleyes:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com

I like how you are allowed to run another supporting vendor of this site down to make yours look better. This remind anybody of a certian someone from DP?

This thread is about the Garrett AVNT3794? that PPE helped with and sells. It's not about Fleece Performance AVNT hybrids, there are lots of threads on that.

If you want to sell your chargers, start another thread. I've already had the same problems with Brayden that you are complaining about PPE doing. Well, worse really.

PPE sells quite a bit of HP modifications for your truck, and I wouldn't be surprised if you are running some.

When nobody would make race stuff for LLY's, PPE stepped up to the plate. You didn't. TTS didn't. Edge didn't. Banks didn't. Predator didn't. Etc didn't.

I think Brayden makes some good stuff. But you should be careful about talking down to a shop that is far more responsible for getting Dmax performance where it is today than your shop is.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.

Please answer this question. How many Modified chargers that your company has built have failed? How many of those failures are related to the turbine wheel? how many are not?[/CO

Failures that I am aware of is 4, 3 due to overspeed and 1 due to lack of lube. Actual turbine failures, 0. And all were taken care of.

I don't see the quote in red to be the case here at all. My take is that PPE has developed something "they" believe to be better than the competition and are advertising it as such based on "their" personal experiences with the competition.

However this may be a bold statement due to the fact that there are many more Cheetah's out there than this new design and time will tell if such is the case or not.

Lets keep this as Pat said "tech based". Lets stick to the facts and keep it friendly.

For those that forgot, the thread title is "New upgraded AVNT 37 charger", not "Which is better Garrett AVNT 37 or Cheetah"