New build for the Mistress

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
I know there was a slight change, I don't recall if was a bolt depth change or what. I think the cooling passage coming out is also different.

Maybe SoCal knows since they build these engines???
SoCal says it will work Wagler and the D-max Store says It won't?????
I guess I'll have to pull the LBZ from my truck and take the plate off to see for myself if it fits. I really prefer to leave the original LBZ complete.
I guess it is what it is.... maybe I'll just buy an LBZ plate and sell it if it doesn't work...

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
The D-max Store is offering short and long blocks but I suspect they have them built, probably by SoCal LOL.
The info from Dmax Store was also second hand tech to sales to me. Supposedly the tech showed the sales guy buy laying the tow girdles on top of one another. They were pretty confident to tell me the info I got from Socal was wrong...
I can get the back plates used for around $100 you want to make me a sreeming deal?

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
LML brand new rear covers are under $100. And if someone has a spare LBZ willing to let you borrow for mock-up comparison that’d be good info. Only differences I found between the housings was coolant ports. Bolt patterns same

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
The D-max Store is offering short and long blocks but I suspect they have them built, probably by SoCal LOL.
The info from Dmax Store was also second hand tech to sales to me. Supposedly the tech showed the sales guy buy laying the tow girdles on top of one another. They were pretty confident to tell me the info I got from Socal was wrong...
I can get the back plates used for around $100 you want to make me a sreeming deal?
Probably be easier to buy one then especially if its local. Shipping has been expensive.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
LML brand new rear covers are under $100. And if someone has a spare LBZ willing to let you borrow for mock-up comparison that’d be good info. Only differences I found between the housings was coolant ports. Bolt patterns same
I know the bolt pattern and all the mating to the block is the same as the bock is interchangeable. The front cover is also same at the block but sticks out further and requires the LML pan which also sticks out further. I am using the front cover in order to use the bigger LML oil pump this dose however require using LML accessorie drive components as the belts on an LML are further from the block for the thicker front cover. What I don't know is will an LBZ transmission adapter bolt to the LML pan. Maybe I explained it better there.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Ordered up an LML upper pan and front cover from Wagler to add to the build list of parts. Going to build mounts to mount it on the stand from the engine mounting pads while at it ill make two extra mount pad plates to build a shipping stand for its trip to SoCal.

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
I know when looking from the rear main side those lower two mounting bolts that go into upper pan do not get used when running a girdle. I did not notice any extra clearancing done to rear portion of upper oil pan or flywheel housing. I think GM only made changes to front of upper oil pan and baffle between LML and 01-10 years. So to me LBZ adapter should work. The bolt configuration at the rear of upper pan look identical. But I mean there has to be a reason Guy and Jeremy both said it wouldn’t. But I’m really intrigued why

and you probably explained it just fine previously. It’s just been one of those weeks

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Well even if the bolt holes don't line up as long as the pan rail itself is the same bolt holes would be an easy mod... thanks for your response 👍
As of now I have the LML front cover and upper pan on their way for the testing of the rear I guess I will just have to pull the one off my LBZ.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
The two plates are different just don't know where? I prefer to use that LBZ plate as everything up top is LBZ. Due to using an LML from cover from an LML so I can use tha LML oil pump I also have to use an LML girdle and pan. So what I am hoping is the LBZ transmission adapter will bolt to the LML pan... If not I will have to modify an LML adapter to work with LBZ turbo plumbing.

Are the turbo drains really all that different? I'd imagine you could make any soft drain work like a Fleece etc if the LML and LBZ have the drain in a different location (I doubt it, might just need the LML tube since guys put 04.5-10 turbos on with just a different downpipe).

Reactions: 56taskforce

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Are the turbo drains really all that different? I'd imagine you could make any soft drain work like a Fleece etc if the LML and LBZ have the drain in a different location (I doubt it, might just need the LML tube since guys put 04.5-10 turbos on with just a different downpipe).
I think you are probably right but you know what they say about assuming 😏

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Really chomping at the bit wanting to order pistons but waiting for the Edelbrock LBZ heads to be released. The other Edelbrock heads have the valves moved inward for better swirl and want to be sure this won't effect placement of valve reliefs. Really hoping the delay in the LBZ heads is because Edelbrock is thinking of using L5P port design in them 🙏

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Got a Wagler pinned LML oil pump, pick up, drive gear, lower PPE pan and a bolt kit for mounting the transmission adapter coming...

1TRIKHD

Country boy Limo.
Sep 15, 2015
P.N.W
Whats your top HP goal with this build and whats your DD HP?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
1000 rwhp then a healthy bit of spray. I plan on doing this under 4000 rpm I like torque...