Need some computer help

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Question, are you running on a SSD or traditional drive?

Seems to me this problem is more prevalent on the SSD drives but can happen on all types

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
I had the same thing happen to my gm computer at work running Windows 7 wouldn't even let me program vehicles for recalls cause it couldn't even open gm files defrag it run a scan and clean all unused files from the drive thats what the it person did to mine hope this helps josh:thumb:

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
What got my windows 7 was windows downloaded the windows 10 update into a hidden file even though I clicked not to update, deleted the update, and everything associated with it. It took up almost 200gb of my ssb drive, and took me forever to find, and then delete. I had to download some utility to clean the files, but I don't remember what all programs I used now.

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
2 temp folders...
System (Windows) files: C:\Windows\Temp
&
User files : C:\Users"name"\AppData\Local\Temp
Shift + Delete will by pass the recycle bin all together

Also delete all old restore points in management (Create a new one while there just in case too).

HDD may be be on its way tho. Move to a SSD if so, and get current on windows software.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I'm going to disagree with all who recommend upgrading to windows 10. No version is worse then 8 or 10 for actually doing any real work. They are great for being flashy, looking good, and maybe playing games and such but try and customize it to your liking, fixing problems, running basic programs are so much more work then 7 or earlier. I would rather continue running XP before 8 or 10.

While being current has its merits, such as patches, security updates, etc. One can also weight the odds of getting "hacked" and see that you can probably play and win the lottery more often. While large corporations have more incentive to stay up to date and on top of security patches due to be a larger target, us little guys or personal computers don't really "need" too. Just a little common sense and a decent antivirus software will keep the bulk of us safe.

But in the end, it is all personal preference

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I'm going to disagree with all who recommend upgrading to windows 10. No version is worse then 8 or 10 for actually doing any real work. They are great for being flashy, looking good, and maybe playing games and such but try and customize it to your liking, fixing problems, running basic programs are so much more work then 7 or earlier. I would rather continue running XP before 8 or 10.

While being current has its merits, such as patches, security updates, etc. One can also weight the odds of getting "hacked" and see that you can probably play and win the lottery more often. While large corporations have more incentive to stay up to date and on top of security patches due to be a larger target, us little guys or personal computers don't really "need" too. Just a little common sense and a decent antivirus software will keep the bulk of us safe.

But in the end, it is all personal preference

:yup:

With one small exception - Windows 8 & 8.1 really weren't that bad overall. Their biggest drawback is the UI was geared for touchscreen and was rather clunky when used with a mouse and keyboard. But they were pretty solid. Everyone hated Vista but loved 7 - but in reality, 7 was pretty much Vista with a handful of tweaks :rofl:.

Windows 10, on the other hand, is a flaming pile of junk. Just about every install of Windows 10 I've had to deal with has eventually had weird issues crop up and the bloatware that comes by default in all versions except Enterprise LTSB is insane. The forced updates are ridiculous too. I ran 10 Pro for a while until I got tired of having to keep removing that junk, and went to LTSB. After probably almost a year on LTSB, it started to get amnesia and/or dementia and started forgetting that some apps had been used before, requiring that they get the initial settings set every time I launched the apps, and every time I rebooted the machine, I couldn't remote desktop anywhere for a random amount of time, while everything else worked fine, then it would suddenly start working for no apparent reason. The BSODs (Or Windows 10 version of them) were rampant on my machine, but since going back to windows 7, zip, so it's hard to try and blame the hardware. The ONLY install of Windoes 10 that I've been running for over a year is a LTSB VM that has the Windows update service disabled and has NEVER gotten ANY updates - that one hasn't had so much as a hiccup.

As long as your machine is not sitting right on the internet with no firewall of any kind between it and the internet and you have a decent anti-malware program installed, Odds of getting attacked aren't significantly higher than if you were on the latest version. Now, stick it right on the internet with no firewall, given enough time, odds are someone will find it and tear it up.