More of a re-Intro

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
After getting nowhere trying to land the unicorn I want, I snatched up a very nice 2002 LB7 a few days ago.

I flat refuse to entertain a new diesel and God help me, I almost bought a gasser 😳. Fortunately I have this stock lb7 now instead. For all her (many) faults, she is a an absolute PLEASURE to drive! Big seats and good visibility as well as sweet effortless llama-thrust from the engine.

I’m remembering the joy of buying my 2008 back in 08 and learning and growing as I experimented and modded her.

I pulled a little restriction from the intake today (heater) and at stock tuning I could actually feel some improvement. Lol. It’s fun!

Anyway, dumb questions and broken truck posts will surely plague me for a while, but overall I look forward to the journey and being able to put the DD secret decoder ring back on with pride.

V/R,
Wally
P.S. I’m already working a trade for PYO’s, lol. WKS

Attachments

• IMG_8606.jpeg
    IMG_8606.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8580.jpg
    IMG_8580.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 11

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
a quick follow up and a promise of better things to come :)

I traded those wheels for some PYO's off an 05 - YES!!!! The truck has had a few issues, but nothing beyond what I expected. I've been throwing a ton of little parts at it, and I've been buying up bigger parts for "someday soon". My garage looks like Christmas!

Black Friday I dropped the big nut for this girl - WCFab compound kit and S475, FASS lift pump and relocation bracket, and I scheduled for a built trans down in MD at Logan's shop. My wallet is presently too hot to hold :LOL: but I'm super excited to not only get back into a relatively fast Duramax, but to try going about it differently than I did my LMM!

While everything comes together, I need to hunt a few more key parts, and I need to get on the lathe and make some tie rods. Fortunately, I got a lot of front end parts from Marketplace where a guy bought it all up and then totaled the truck before installing. Anyway, I put my head down at work in January and don't come up for air until May, so I doubt that I'll even get all of the parts installed before spring, but I'll see how it goes and check back into this thread again!

Wally

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Long story for a short answer. Back when Mike D was selling on forums before Kryptonite had fanbois, I bought his Kryptonite tie rods for my LMM. Right after I installed them, he introduced the Kryp centerlink. So I got that. It was really more of a protoype that needed some work... but I digress. It also used a different inner tie rod end than the OEM centerlink requires. So I removed my inners and put in new inners on the kryp centerlink and installed. I've had the stock centerlink to kryp tie rod inners sitting in my attic since like 2010. If I spend $55 on kryp outers, and grab some 1-1/8" hex at the steel yard, I can cut at 9-1/4" and drill/tap them and thread in both tie rods ends to use with my LB7's stock centerlink. Basically I'm spending like $75 and and a few minutes time to have $360 tie rods.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Nah, I really hate heims on a DD truck. I had them on my caltracs and went as far as putting on heim boots etc. it an effort to make them last longer. Nope. Seized up about the same as if I didn't give AF, hahahaha.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Sorry, that’s my fault. I changed my handle here last year. I’m N2BRK. Maybe that’s more familiar sounding? Lol. I really should change it back.

It was Duramaxdiesels but it wasn’t the happy welcoming place it is now. I kinda miss the old atmosphere of serious no bullshit racer guys 🤣 and the spirit of learning more about these trucks! I always read and search HERE for straight answers!!!

Reactions: malibu795