Mike L has passed away.......

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I just received some of the most terrible news, guys. Mike L has passed away… it was very fast from what I’m told but it was that damn cancer… if any of you were close to him, you would know he was fighting some medical issues the past 6-7 months that were non cancer related (or it was and he didn’t want to tell me). Then not too long ago, they found stg 4 cancer in his lungs. It quickly spread to his brain and he passed away this morning…

My head is hung low today. That man and I were close and I will miss him dearly… it’s funny how people touch your lives through the years and how I just went from another punk kid getting his first built trans that would never stand up to the added power I’d add in a couple years later, to a friend that would spend hours on the phone with, bull shitting about everything, sharing pictures, talking about what we want to do, showing how the kids are growing and just enjoying each other.

I’ll miss the fuck out of you Mike. Love you my friend.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I've met him a couple of times. he was always generous, kind and ready to help any way he could. the knowledge he had and shared will likely not be surpassed by anyone in my lifetime. he will be missed greatly. Rest in peace

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I had never personally met Mike but I certainly had spent my fair share of time on the phone with him when I first got started building transmissions. Looking back, I don't know how he stayed on the phone with me sometimes but I am sure glad he did.

This industry lost one hell of a great man and one hell of a great innovator. Look across this board and you will see the thousands of posts of him offering help to literally everyone (as well as his amazing quick witted comments).

KRODMAX/KS

It'll be alright
Jul 27, 2017
Oz
He will be dearly missed, I always looked forward to his reply's.
His wealth of knowledge lives on through this site.
RIP brother, I thank you every time I stomp the throttle 👊

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
This one hurts! I've known Mike for ~18 years, from spending countless hours at his shop working together on so many projects, hanging out listening to all his stories and flying out to NHRDA races together. He was far more than a friend and treated me like I was family. The world and diesel community lost a great man. He will be deeply missed. R.I.P. ☹️

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Holy crap.... Been meaning to call him forever... He helped me build the 5-speed I ended up selling and to 6-speed that replaced it, which is still going 100k hard miles later. He wascalways willing to help and boy could he talk lol. That sucks. The 'C' sucks big time.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
Wow :cry:. I met him back at Merchant's in 07 for Spring Fling. He had a unique personality for sure, but there is no question as to how much he helped out the diesel (especially Duramax) and hot rodding communities. I believe he had a wife (unless she passed and I was unaware), if she is still alive and someone knows her, is there anything we as a community can do for her or the family (since he contributed so much to us)? Maybe an admin can set up a donation fund if there is.

Cancer sucks!!!!

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Wow :cry:. I met him back at Merchant's in 07 for Spring Fling. He had a unique personality for sure, but there is no question as to how much he helped out the diesel (especially Duramax) and hot rodding communities. I believe he had a wife (unless she passed and I was unaware), if she is still alive and someone knows her, is there anything we as a community can do for her or the family (since he contributed so much to us)? Maybe an admin can set up a donation fund if there is.

Cancer sucks!!!!

She is still very much alive but not in the best of health.

As of right now, I’m waiting to hear more info. I wish I knew her better to be able to answer the last question but I’d like to know more before doing something like that. Mike was a very very smart man with money though. That’s not to say she wouldn’t appreciate it but everyone is different and this is a sensitive time.