March '23 Chat -- "Drive to the sound of your own turbo"

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
It’s got a couple dents in it. I’m going to get it checked out. I didn’t feel any odd vibrations as we were driving. But it was in my mind the whole rest of the trip.

Imho, just replace it. Aluminum driveshafts get weak as hell the moment they get any dents in them. It will twist up bad right in that spot if you torque on it hard or come apart at high speed and under power. If it was steel, I’d say drive it if it has no vibs.

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
Which truck from your profile was this?

I have a drive shaft from an LBZ CCSB 4X4, But I am in CA. Might still have the tank and factory exhaust but I would have to check.
It’s the ‘02. The tank is fine and I can fix the exhaust. I’m going to check around town today and go from there.

Reactions: 1FastBrick

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Insurance finally got back with me about my truck... They're supposed to send an adjuster out Friday morning.. pretty much talking total lose... Shits fixable but 99% of their clientele can't fix shit... Basically they're going to determine market value.. give me an offer it is over loan+ deductible I get a check.
It's advantageous for the loan holder to let me keep and fix the truck.. and not total it out..
Reality is loan holder probably won't like that idea🤦🏻‍♂️
Basically just wasted down payment, 1 months payment, $400 in parts..and EFI live license 🤬

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Insurance finally got back with me about my truck... They're supposed to send an adjuster out Friday morning.. pretty much talking total lose... Shits fixable but 99% of their clientele can't fix shit... Basically they're going to determine market value.. give me an offer it is over loan+ deductible I get a check.
It's advantageous for the loan holder to let me keep and fix the truck.. and not total it out..
Basically just wasted down payment, 1 months payment, $400 in parts..and EFI live license 🤬
Bummer....
That sucks.

Have spoken to the loan holder yet?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
You should have the option to buy back the salvage and fix it yourself if you choose.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
You should have the option to buy back the salvage and fix it yourself if you choose.
In California, I'm pretty sure, if you buy it back it doesn't get branded as a salvage title. If Adam's state operates like this it may be worth looking into.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
In California, I'm pretty sure, if you buy it back it doesn't get branded as a salvage title. If Adam's state operates like this it may be worth looking into.
It would Be a salvage in CA. I have rebuilt a few including my fathers Suburban when it was totaled and purchased back at the time of settlement.

Reactions: 2004LB7

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
The insurance might pay directly to the lien holder. Technically speaking the Lien holder would have the right to purchase it back. 9.9 times out 10 they just want to get paid so they have no interest in the vehicle.

How ever, If he contacts both parties and informs them he would like to purchase the vehicle, the insurance will call back with a buy back value.

Then they would make the arrangements for him to purchase it by either paying the lien holder the difference in the settlement or the insurance company directly. How ever they choose to do it.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The insurance might pay directly to the lien holder. Technically speaking the Lien holder would have the right to purchase it back. 9.9 times out 10 they just want to get paid so they have no interest in the vehicle.

How ever, If he contacts both parties and informs them he would like to purchase the vehicle, the insurance will call back with a buy back value.

Then they would make the arrangements for him to purchase it by either paying the lien holder the difference in the settlement or the insurance company directly. How ever they choose to do it.
The insurance will definitely pay the lien holder first. If anything is left once they are paid, he will get what is left. If insurance doesn't pay out what is owed on the truck, he would be responsible for paying the balance on the loan. Once the lien holder is paid off, he should have the option of retaining the vehicle. That is generally done before the insurance cuts the check for payment on a total loss and the difference is deducted from the payout. He would likely have to come up with some money to do that, but there's no reason the insurance company or bank should have an issue unless Ohio has some weird rules about that. It's possible the bank could transfer the loan to another form of loan if he doesn't have the money saved up, but it would generally result in higher interest rates if he doesn't have some sort of collateral to use to secure the loan.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
It depends on the insurance company in Texas. For some reason they can decide to give it a salvage title or clean title depending on their mood I guess. I've seen some pretty messed up total loss vehicles that still have a clean title and some with very minor damage that are salvage, but it seems like in most cases, if an owner retains the salvage, the title isn't marked as salvage.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
It depends on the insurance company in Texas. For some reason they can decide to give it a salvage title or clean title depending on their mood I guess. I've seen some pretty messed up total loss vehicles that still have a clean title and some with very minor damage that are salvage, but it seems like in most cases, if an owner retains the salvage, the title isn't marked as salvage.
That's how I thought it was

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
CA is different. IF the insurance deems it a total loss for any reason. The title is automatically marked Salvaged even if you own the vehicle, retain the vehicle and repair the vehicle. It will still bare a salvage title.

In the event they believe there is fowl play like a theft recovery or a vehicle appears to have been damaged in an attempt to get out of paying or cause some type of fraud, They will issue a Junk Title. The vehicle is deemed never to be road worthy again. I have seen vehicle's like this at the auction and thought to my self "man it's shame it has junk title."

They don't always pay directly to the Lien holder depending on the circumstances. In my fathers case he only had a small loan against the vehicle. Around 1/4 of the actual vehicle's cost. The pay out went directly to him in the form of a check and he was responsible for submitting the balance owed to the lien holder. I wanted to keep and repair it so the pay out was minus the buy pack payment to retain the vehicle.

Every thing else I purchased through auction's and repaired my self for my own personal use.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Had an interesting drive yesterday. Had to go from my house to the vet clinic on my route to get a few of their styrofoam coolers in prep for Hannah's wedding in June. This drive normally would take me 1/2 hour....this time it was about an hour.
The weather changed rapidly in the morning. Rain that started last night turned into sleet/ice around 9am, and this built up to about 2" of crap on the roads......and some people just werent ready for it.
Was on the freeway, putting along at 45mph....watched a small SUV up in front of me do a few fast spins and ended up in the median. Honestly surprised he didnt roll the car, for how fast he was moving. Anyway, he somehow got the car back onto the freeway, and was now behind me. Not even a mile down the road, he must've tried to accelerate too fast, and quickly spun out into the side ditch, and he wasnt getting out this time. Ended up on a hill the other side of the ditch facing the freeway. Just amazing he didnt learn from the first wipeout.