LMM: LMM with 222,000 tear down rebuild

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I'd just drop a cummins in it and call it good, pretty sure it'd last longer. I hate changing out power steering pumps let alone rings.

Running an ISB at 400rwhp heavy hauling 90% like Adam does, you won't gain anything. They still use Mahle pistons, which is realistically the only issue he's had.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
You've got it down. Shouldn't take more than an hour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
The #1 priority for the oval piston design was, and is, strength. Adam wants to blame the pistons for all his drop in economy, when in fact his tuning and building skills are and have been suspect. Though I have respect for anyone that tries the path less traveled as he has.

I look forward to him moving on to the Freightliner so he can blame something else.

:D :rofl:

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
:rofl:

I've posted tunes, been very open.

Still noone can explain why oval bowls need more timing to do exact same thing as round bowls.. when that's only changed....
Or why they are dirtier than round bowls....

But hey blame me..... Lol cause we be blaming the shop if it wasn't me who turned the wrench...

Oval bowl isn't as efficient as round bowls in efficiency.. that's been known for at least 5 years...

Still end of the day the ovals are a great product. It would be uncharacteristic of me not to bring anything negative up...

If you're going to mock me at least get your insults straight

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I don't follow the cummins crowd much but I was under the assumption they made a monotherm or similar type piston. Sleeve that bastard and roll with it.

They do for the HD stuff, but the monotherm for the ISB went about as far as the monotherm for the Duramax.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
:rofl:

I've posted tunes, been very open.

Still noone can explain why oval bowls need more timing to do exact same thing as round bowls.. when that's only changed....
Or why they are dirtier than round bowls....

But hey blame me..... Lol cause we be blaming the shop if it wasn't me who turned the wrench...

Oval bowl isn't as efficient as round bowls in efficiency.. that's been known for at least 5 years...

Still end of the day the ovals are a great product. It would be uncharacteristic of me not to bring anything negative up...

If you're going to mock me at least get your insults straight

When he's the one selling modified parts, it's easy to blame the installer.

Maybe Jon should build a short block to his specs, write a tune to go with it, and when it doesn't hold up just ask for your money back :rofl:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I've seen him post screen shots of his timing tables

yup and hes happy to give out fueling tables and so on.

adam is just blunt. when he talked about the piston skirts, it is what it is, you can see the blatant wear. As for his rings dieing, he was one of the many who thought the 41909 piston rings were what we should be running in these as that is what mahle recommends and calls "factory replacement" which is a crock of shit as the 42160 would be a factory replacement and will actually last like they should.

this latest issue is flat out mfg incorrect information. there are alot of people out there running these rings but dont know they are not correct cause they dont have the mileage yet.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Adam. Had the privilege of working the OTC show in Houston several weeks back. I remember you talking about coatings on pistons and how they seemed to wear quicker than what you would have liked. Upon walking around the show I saw these people http://www.calicocoatings.com/ and it caught my attention that they had a Mahle piston on display that they coated. Spoke to the sales guy for a bit and they actually do work for several race teams and one diesel shop (they are doing some process on P7100 pump pistons).

If you have the time to wait on them, it may be worth calling and talking to these guys as they seem decently knowledgeable on pistons for various engine applications.

http://www.calicocoatings.com/bearings/
http://www.calicocoatings.com/coating-data-sheets/ct-3-dry-film-lubricant/

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
That is what i figured. I know you need to get that motor out, rebuilt and back in place to make money. If you ever build a spare and have time for it, might be worth the try.

I know you monitor oil temps and run good oils, have you tried changing oils to see if the build up is caused by oil issues?

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
If the pictures from post 919 are the current tear down, what is the build up between the top two rings? Almost looks like a combination of burnt oil and soot.

Wonder if gapless top rings would help keep the soot from getting down in there and giving you issues. I know they are for racing, but anything to stop the mixing of soot and oil.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Gapless rings go on #2 ring. Not top ring.. the top ring going to a bigger gap than the 2nd ring didn't help.. also the pictures in post #919 isn't current that was last build when I tore it down in June last year

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Total seal offers both top and 2nd ring in gapless. Probably depends on application as to which they would recommend for your application.

I read that the ovals do run a bit dirty compared to round bowl design. Does anyone know if its the top and bottom of the oval (farthest from the injector) that cause the "dirty"? If its the long axis of the bowl that is causing the "dirty" would a modified spray pattern help "clean" it up?

I know from reading your post that you have done the best long term testing for any product.