LMM: LMM with 222,000 tear down rebuild

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
New coolers where put on theI dumped coolant in the oil..
Current one was new n December after I split the block I hualed to Denver..
So either the cooler got crushed by coolant pressure or the soot from the oil got deposited in. The cooler
.oil is filtered before it goes into any cooler... I cut open last 5 filters... Nothing but very sooty oil

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
skirt by until Dec. or nope?

Gutting on of the trashed oem oil coolers from pervious failures..
R&Ding a member here.. though I don't have a end mill or lathe yet
Got 6"*8"*0.25 plate that will make the cover

22548928_10213208923951239_8537428678286060830_o.jpg

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Oh boy...thats a lot of copper. Not good at all.

I've been informed the H series bearings are not intended for high mileage application....
I did not know that..

I do know they are commonly used in alot of Engine builds and got alot of flak about not using them couple years ago..

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I've been informed the H series bearings are not intended for high mileage application....

I did not know that..

I do know they are commonly used in alot of Engine builds and got alot of flak about not using them couple years ago..

Why not? Since the crank should in theory always be riding on a film of oil not the bearing why wouldn't an H series bearing work fine? What bearing are you suppose to use for a high mileage engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Why not? Since the crank should in theory always be riding on a film of oil not the bearing why wouldn't an H series bearing work fine? What bearing are you suppose to use for a high mileage engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The P series looked substantually better with 3-4x times the mileage as these got. It's been so long that I can't remember what the OEM ones looked like when I split a piston with 222k.. they definitely didn't have full Cooper showing that's for sure

Only thing I can think of/speculate.. Is H aren't hard enough to handle sustained temps/pressures/load or higher continuous duty cycle for extended time compared to the harder stock or stock replacement bearings.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Going back to stock bearings this time?

Any estimate as to how long before the "mutt" is up and running? I know its hard to work on it while driving.

How long does it take you to do an engine build? I have followed this thread for a while and lost count of how many times you have rebuilt engines. While not everyone agrees with the way you build an engine, I can understand that everyone has their own style and reason for doing things.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Funny how the oem stuff seems better almost every time when it comes down to working these engines. I often wonder how any small performance company could possibly R&D their products. I believe it's often a guess that we get to gamble with...:eek: For a work truck I believe stock is best but your loads won't let you have that option. Hope you get the mutt up and going soon Adam!

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
^ wouldn’t that take a pretty good leak? To flood the valley enough to come through the bolt heads before the coolant cooked off from engine heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
pretty sure hes talking about the mid plate. the o-ring for the cross over under the mid plate is probably leaking, then filled up the back side of the cover and leaked through the bolt heads.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I did not know that..

Not diesel related, but I used to use the h series tri metal bearings. Last 2 engines I did with them both looked like yours with less than 20K miles on them in small block chevy's. Neither engine got worked hard either, but looked like crap inside. After I got a bad set of clevite cam bearings(couldn't even get the cam to slide into the block, miced the bearing shells thickness ,and found them all over the place varying over .005"), I stopped using them all together. I switched to ACL, and had no more problems(but I haven't done any engines in years), but I don't know if they make anything to fit the DURAMAX or not.