LML Twins and Opinions

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
Sounds like it’s fixed vane time

I told Blake that but I like my turbo brake for pulling heavy. Truck isn’t race only or commuting only otherwise I would. Also would need all new plumbing for my kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bigmackmiller

Nov 30, 2008
Kokomo, IN
Could always install an exhaust brake kit from Pacbrake or BD and run a s464 in the valley, but with your brake upgrade would you really miss it much?

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
We talked for a good bit today, if he were to go to a s300sxe in the valley, a 63/68 .83 gated housing would be a excellent choice and what I’d recommend for his driving habits and power goals. I’ve tuned a couple of LMLs with the exact s3/s4 setup and they drive unbelievably well. I’m sure this next charger Mark sends will do the trick though. That way the kit won’t have to be modified. That’s always a pain.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You just let the engine wind up more. Coming down Payson or from the 260 (the retarded hill from strawberry to camp verde) I don’t hardly hit the brakes at all but I’m turning about 4k rpm. I17 I’m usually around 3200-3400 max.

Really the worse part about the fix vane is lag. The rest you could get around. The 364sxe would probably be a pretty sweet/fast lighting turbo though.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Sounds like it’s fixed vane time

Agreed. Sell the piping kit, get a kit for an s366 and windmill one of those in. So long as you can get someone to tune it worth a damn I think you will be golden.

Also need to add an exhaust brake if so desired though which is kind of lame.

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
Agreed. Sell the piping kit, get a kit for an s366 and windmill one of those in. So long as you can get someone to tune it worth a damn I think you will be golden.

Also need to add an exhaust brake if so desired though which is kind of lame.

Going to stick with VGT whether it’s Danville or Dan‘s or somebody else and at some point if I can’t ever get the thing right I’ll just have to go back to a stock turbo

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
Turbo supposedly showed up at Danville today so hoping they send a new one out tomorrow.

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
FYI, this is my opinon on the whole thing and what I sent to Mark and Jason this morning after arguing about it with Whitney for 15 or 20 minutes and getting nowhere.

Mark,

My name is Ken Averbuck and I messaged you on Duramaxdiesels about my new LML turbo failing. It is there at your shop this morning and your guys are working on it right now. My question is this, the new 63.5mm TCT 2.5 that I purchased through Wehrli cost me $2100 plus $150 or so for the side oiling kit.

I paid my shop over $1,300 to install it and after two days and 700 easy highway miles the turbo failed and seized completely, I was forced to leave a trailer I was going to tow back from California in California for 2 to 3 weeks until I get my truck back and I am having to rent a car in the meantime as this truck is my daily driver. On top of all of that, I now have to pay the shop another $1,300 for it to be installed again.

Whitney told me that she has new turbos sitting there but that my turbo is being torn down and repaired, under warranty, and the bearings seized and the compressor housing was struck by the compressor wheel. She said they will get it sent back out maybe today. Re-manned turbos on your website are only $1,400. I don't understand why I paid $2,100 for a new turbo, had it for two days, and am now getting a repaired, re-manned turbo, back?

My opinion is this; take the compressor housing off of my failed turbo, put it on a NEW turbo and send that out overnight. No refunds and no more bitching from me. Then, you can fix my failed turbo and sell it for $1,400 as a re-man. Makes sense to me but not to anybody else apparently.

Also, I was under the impression you owned the shop but apparently a guy named Larry does, who's email I don't have. Please consider this, let him know my feelings on it, and let me know your thoughts.

Ken

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
FYI, this is my opinon on the whole thing and what I sent to Mark and Jason this morning after arguing about it with Whitney for 15 or 20 minutes and getting nowhere.

Mark,

My name is Ken Averbuck and I messaged you on Duramaxdiesels about my new LML turbo failing. It is there at your shop this morning and your guys are working on it right now. My question is this, the new 63.5mm TCT 2.5 that I purchased through Wehrli cost me $2100 plus $150 or so for the side oiling kit.

I paid my shop over $1,300 to install it and after two days and 700 easy highway miles the turbo failed and seized completely, I was forced to leave a trailer I was going to tow back from California in California for 2 to 3 weeks until I get my truck back and I am having to rent a car in the meantime as this truck is my daily driver. On top of all of that, I now have to pay the shop another $1,300 for it to be installed again.

Whitney told me that she has new turbos sitting there but that my turbo is being torn down and repaired, under warranty, and the bearings seized and the compressor housing was struck by the compressor wheel. She said they will get it sent back out maybe today. Re-manned turbos on your website are only $1,400. I don't understand why I paid $2,100 for a new turbo, had it for two days, and am now getting a repaired, re-manned turbo, back?

My opinion is this; take the compressor housing off of my failed turbo, put it on a NEW turbo and send that out overnight. No refunds and no more bitching from me. Then, you can fix my failed turbo and sell it for $1,400 as a re-man. Makes sense to me but not to anybody else apparently.

Also, I was under the impression you owned the shop but apparently a guy named Larry does, who's email I don't have. Please consider this, let him know my feelings on it, and let me know your thoughts.

Ken

They’re fixing the turbo. Get over it.

^ It sucks, but he is right. Your turbo is still "new", but has been rebuilt. Your cover, turbine housing, cartridge all have only 700 miles of run time where as a reman has unknown as long as the housings/cartridge meet the spec required to be rebuilt. So while it isn't "zero run time" it is still much less than a reman unit. You can't ask them to just chuck it to the side and ship you a second brand new charger, that's not how warranty claims work. They have every right to repair what they sent you.

To make your charger properly Danville would have to remove/disassemble a brand new charger from Garrett and machine the housings/backing plate to meet their wheel dimensions.

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
^ It sucks, but he is right. Your turbo is still "new", but has been rebuilt. Your cover, turbine housing, cartridge all have only 700 miles of run time where as a reman has unknown as long as the housings/cartridge meet the spec required to be rebuilt. So while it isn't "zero run time" it is still much less than a reman unit. You can't ask them to just chuck it to the side and ship you a second brand new charger, that's not how warranty claims work. They have every right to repair what they sent you.

To make your charger properly Danville would have to remove/disassemble a brand new charger from Garrett and machine the housings/backing plate to meet their wheel dimensions.

They’re going to anyway for the next guy that buys a new charger. Remans come from cores with unknown mileage and damage so the one I just sent back can be used for that purpose.

In comparing my experience here, I cracked the carbon frame on a 10 year old specialized mountain bike and sent it back for repair. Specialized sent me a brand new S Works carbon frame, which is a serious upgrade, free of charge no questions asked. That’s why I will only buy specialized bikes. Not that others aren’t as good it’s just they stand behind their customers and don’t say “sorry oh well”.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
They’re going to anyway for the next guy that buys a new charger. Remans come from cores with unknown mileage and damage so the one I just sent back can be used for that purpose.

In comparing my experience here, I cracked the carbon frame on a 10 year old specialized mountain bike and sent it back for repair. Specialized sent me a brand new S Works carbon frame, which is a serious upgrade, free of charge no questions asked. That’s why I will only buy specialized bikes. Not that others aren’t as good it’s just they stand behind their customers and don’t say “sorry oh well”.

They aren't saying "sorry oh well", they are repairing the turbo you purchased. It's like buying a car and having a failure, they don't just give you a new car because yours is broken. They are covering shipping. Nobody knows if it was a defect in installation or a defect in the turbo itself, only disassembly of the turbo will tell where it happened. Maybe it didn't have enough oil on startup, wasn't pre-lubed, bearings were too tight/loose. It is all speculation until it is torn apart.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
They aren't saying "sorry oh well", they are repairing the turbo you purchased. It's like buying a car and having a failure, they don't just give you a new car because yours is broken. They are covering shipping. Nobody knows if it was a defect in installation or a defect in the turbo itself, only disassembly of the turbo will tell where it happened. Maybe it didn't have enough oil on startup, wasn't pre-lubed, bearings were too tight/loose. It is all speculation until it is torn apart.

i personally know this is not the issue.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
i personally know this is not the issue.

I'm not saying it did or didn't, I'm more so saying it to show there are tons of different reasons it seized. It is an absolutely crap situation since this is the second aftermarket charger he has had on the truck and the second one he has had fail. Personally I've never had back luck with Danville chargers on customer's trucks.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I'm not saying it did or didn't, I'm more so saying it to show there are tons of different reasons it seized. It is an absolutely crap situation since this is the second aftermarket charger he has had on the truck and the second one he has had fail. Personally I've never had back luck with Danville chargers on customer's trucks.

Im simply clarifying a variable that isnt part of this equation as i know it was addressed. not taking away from your statement