Limp mode after new planetary gears

Aug 15, 2022
I opened the valve body. Everything looked clean including the filter screen from what I can see. Should I use the boring tool or scotch Brite or another way to fix that stuck valve. I was also going to replace the pcm. Back in 2003 MikeL said he never saw a bad pcm. Someone else said they are notorious for going bad. Maybe they started going bad after 03?

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
In 2003 these trucks were fairly new so the probability of TCMs going bad wouldn't be common at all, hell they still didn't even know their injectors were junk at the time.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I opened the valve body. Everything looked clean including the filter screen from what I can see. Should I use the boring tool or scotch Brite or another way to fix that stuck valve. I was also going to replace the pcm. Back in 2003 MikeL said he never saw a bad pcm. Someone else said they are notorious for going bad. Maybe they started going bad after 03?

Is the valve sticking?

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
It should move freely. If it doesn't, clean the bore and valve well with brakekleen and try again. If it still hangs up, then you can try taking a smaller spring, like an accumulator spring, put it deep at the end of the bore and then work the valve in and out quickly with some standard PS fluid. May take 100 strokes or so....then clean the bore and valve again with brakekleen, and retry normal operation with trans fluid. If that doesn't work, then a reamer is going to be the next step.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Do not take scotch brite or sand paper or steel wool or any other abrasive to the valve or the bore or you will be looking for a new valve body. Sonnax makes a tool to help fix the E-valve bore if you can't get it working properly.

Reactions: juddski88
Aug 15, 2022
Truck is good now! No codes. Rides good. Hopefully it is a permanent fix. I appreciate all the helpful advice given here. I read the valve could have been stuck because truck was shifted into gear with only 8 qts of fluid instead of 13. My mistake for trusting the fluid capacity advice of well known online diesel supplier where I bought the transynd 668. Does it need to be relearned? Only removed the c5 clutch pack and put the same ones back in with the new planetary gears. Didn't touch the others.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Does it need to be relearned? Only removed the c5 clutch pack and put the same ones back in with the new planetary gears. Didn't touch the others.
id just drive it easy until it is shifting smoothly through all the gears, then a little more aggressive until it's smooth through that driving style. do this until you can go full throttle without it hanging or banging into gears. start slow and work up the power