June '23 Chat - Will BBT be in the wedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Likely it does but if there is a ficm issue or other electrical issue he is not smart enough to figure it out. He probably slapped one in and it didn't run and he gave up. I don't know if they need to be programed to function in the truck or not. It probably has bad diesel in the tank from sitting a few years as well as air in the lines.
Yep. After poking around in the FICMs they don't scare me anymore. Don't need to be programmed to work on any truck either.

I'm sure I could get it running but if it requires injectors then it's easily another $2k+. If he was willing to drop down to $4k (which I doubt) then I would probably do 100 over injectors to fix that issue. Then put in some 4wd parts and probably just do a toggle switch to activate it. Unless I wire in the signal it would likely throw a code if I put it in 4lo but that would be easy to fix.

I'd have to rent me a car trailer too. Maybe another $300 or so.

I do like that's it's at least an 03. But I think the cat eye front end is ugly. Anyone swap over a Chevy to a GMC front end? I think it would take two fenders, bumper, headlights & grill. Would 1500 parts work?

I think for the price I'd probably go with this one first over that listing. Could probably even talk him down a little. I wouldn't feel so bad ripping out the interior of this one as much as a newer better condition one 😅

Last edited:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
So I went out and looked at that truck. Kinda odd with what has been sone. Has a van thermostat with an aftermarket radiator tube. But seller thinks he has a stock one he can include to restore it to original. Same for the exhaust. As mentioned in the listing it has traction bars, aftermarket intake, fass lift pump and filter head delete. Interior is pretty clean, especially for it's age.

One bonus is it looks like a federal emissions. Can anyone confirm based on the vin?

1GTHK24111E238035

if so that makes modifications easier and still pass smog 😁

looks like he is open to offers. I wasn't able to test drive it or even get it to run as it's in the back yard with another truck in the way and the batteries where dead. He said he would get it moved and ready to test drive and let me know

I'm positive it already has a tune in it. So that makes me wonder how the transmission is holding up and how much life is left in it. I guess it's not too much of a concern as I'll likely get it built anyways.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Jason....manual Tcase. Buy lever at junkyard, cut the hole in the floor, bolt in lever. Simple.

The Canadian wildfire smoke blew into Michigan yesterday with a vengeance. It was like a foggy day, but all day. Today looks to be the same. Smelled like a smoldering campfire, and cut temps by about 10*.

Reactions: 2004LB7

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
One bonus is it looks like a federal emissions. Can anyone confirm based on the vin?

1GTHK24111E238035

You can check the rpo codes and look for FE9 and NF2 (possibly in the NF1-8 range). Another quick check is to look at the glow plugs. Cali trucks are individually wired and federal use the bar.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I'll get another look at it next week where he will pull it out to a better location and I can confirm federal or not. Forgot to check the glow plugs. Would have been an obvious sign. Should have taken a picture of the RPO codes in glove box. Didn't even think about that

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Did a little googling. Couldn't find any references or anything regarding Diesel Power magazine being cancelled, shutdown or no longer around but also didn't see anything new from them. Just kinda stopped posting or giving updates. Do you have any more information on what happened or is going on?
Back in 2020, they cancelled the DPC because of covid. Before things could even be considered for 2021, they went to a digital format only with no print magazines on the shelf anymore. This made it all but impossible to have the hard copy magazine based voting they had relied on before for the competition. I think the last thing we heard was KJ making a statement about the competition being over indefinitely. Richard or Brad may be able to elaborate more. I had never recalled hearing an official announcment of DPM being close, but before I made the earlier post, I did some looking myself and found the MotorTrend website no longer has a Diesel Power Magazine section or anything indicating they are actively creating diesel specific content on a regular basis. It looks like they rolled it into the TruckTrend section of MotorTrend

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Jason....manual Tcase. Buy lever at junkyard, cut the hole in the floor, bolt in lever. Simple.

The Canadian wildfire smoke blew into Michigan yesterday with a vengeance. It was like a foggy day, but all day. Today looks to be the same. Smelled like a smoldering campfire, and cut temps by about 10*.
I did look into this on my previous LB7 and I thought I cam to the conclusion that there was something different about the front cross members or braces that hold the front diff that would make adding one to a 2wd much harder. Am I wrong? Are they the same and just need to bolt one in? If so, I probably should have done that over selling it because it was a nice truck that I miss

Every year we get the wild fire smoke here in California. We actually just call it wild fire season and expect the smoke. I don't mind it that much. Like you noticed, it drops the temperature. And campfire smell is nice too 😛

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I did look into this on my previous LB7 and I thought I cam to the conclusion that there was something different about the front cross members or braces that hold the front diff that would make adding one to a 2wd much harder. Am I wrong? Are they the same and just need to bolt one in? If so, I probably should have done that over selling it because it was a nice truck that I miss
Bolting in the front diff is not a plug and play. It's easier if you add a lift kit, but if you want to stay stock height, it is much more complicated.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Back in 2020, they cancelled the DPC because of covid. Before things could even be considered for 2021, they went to a digital format only with no print magazines on the shelf anymore. This made it all but impossible to have the hard copy magazine based voting they had relied on before for the competition. I think the last thing we heard was KJ making a statement about the competition being over indefinitely. Richard or Brad may be able to elaborate more. I had never recalled hearing an official announcment of DPM being close, but before I made the earlier post, I did some looking myself and found the MotorTrend website no longer has a Diesel Power Magazine section or anything indicating they are actively creating diesel specific content on a regular basis. It looks like they rolled it into the TruckTrend section of MotorTrend
That sucks. DPC was the only real event I could see me being able to compete and have any chance of doing well. UCC is just way beyond me with their 2k+ HP trucks and unlimited budgets. Not to mention, the trailer towing tests and other items that aren't part of the UCC that I think make it more fun

Last edited:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Bolting in the front diff is not a plug and play. It's easier if you add a lift kit, but if you want to stay stock height, it is much more complicated.
That's what I thought. Better off just getting a 4wd

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard

Every year we get the wild fire smoke here in California. We actually just call it wild fire season and expect the smoke. I don't mind it that much. Like you noticed, it drops the temperature. And campfire smell is nice too 😛
The lower crossmember is different but it can be done. The lower control arm on the driver side is different along with a few extra brackets and bungs in the frame.

We have converted a few 1500 2wd torsion frames over and documented it. You can buy a donor front clip and cut the pieces off you need. even though my parts truck was wrecked, I gave the front clip off the frame to a co-worker that was trying to remove a lift kit from his truck. The truck has tried like 3 times to kill him with that P.O.S. lift kit... he wants to go to stock suspension.

Let me see if the links still work and I will post up so you can see.

I don't have any early stuff for 99-02 trucks Except a mint condition HD hood...
But I do have some of the stuff for the 03-07 classic trucks.

I will be doing a Full LBZ conversion in the future on my 05 including the dash harness... And Yes Both are/were 4x4 trucks. CCSB

I kept all the 4x4 stuff from the donner. Only thing that I don't have is the rear driveshaft cause I sold it to Rob whom wrapped the ratchet strap around his.

Also If that guy does go to 4k on that other truck , I think it would be worth it. Like you said, at least 2K for injectors, and it currently doesn't run. You can't sell something that needs that kind of work at the price of a running truck. I mean you can try but every one is going to pass for something that runs.

Last edited:
Reactions: wydopenLb7

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Here is the link to doing it on a 1500 torsion bar chassis. The 2500 chassis is very similar. Obviously the Allison part of the conversion is different.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Here is the link to doing it on a 1500 torsion bar chassis. The 2500 chassis is very similar. Obviously the Allison part of the conversion is different.
Wow, that looks a lot more involved then I'd like to get into. Luckily this truck is already 4wd that I'm looking at

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
So I went out and looked at that truck. Kinda odd with what has been sone. Has a van thermostat with an aftermarket radiator tube. But seller thinks he has a stock one he can include to restore it to original. Same for the exhaust. As mentioned in the listing it has traction bars, aftermarket intake, fass lift pump and filter head delete. Interior is pretty clean, especially for it's age.

1GTHK24111E238035

looks like he is open to offers. I wasn't able to test drive it or even get it to run as it's in the back yard with another truck in the way and the batteries where dead. He said he would get it moved and ready to test drive and let me know

I'm positive it already has a tune in it. So that makes me wonder how the transmission is holding up and how much life is left in it. I guess it's not too much of a concern as I'll likely get it built anyways.
Just got off the phone my guy at the dealer, that is a California Tier 1 Emission truck.

RPO NB6
RPO YA7

Also it failed a smog in 2021... Doesn't say why though So make sure you ask!!!

1687970535004.png

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Also If that guy does go to 4k on that other truck , I think it would be worth it. Like you said, at least 2K for injectors, and it currently doesn't run. You can't sell something that needs that kind of work at the price of a running truck. I mean you can try but every one is going to pass for something that runs.
The one closer to me in Plymouth, Seller claims it runs and drives good. If true then that can help delay the need for injectors right away. But I'll eventually want to get some oversized ones so I'll have to do it sometime. Probably 100 SAC injectors. Then I got to figure out what turbo to go with.

I think I can get it for $5k and he'll give me the thermostat housing and tube, stock exhaust and get it smogged first before I sign over. It's also already 4wd so don't have to worry about that part. I think I'll go for it. He will have it out and ready next week for me to test drive it

Reactions: wydopenLb7

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Just got off the phone my guy at the dealer, that is a California Tier 1 Emission truck.

RPO NB6
RPO YA7

Also if failed a smog in 2021... Doesn't say why though So make sure you ask!!!

View attachment 116040
Interesting. He did have paperwork in the glove box that showed smog check paperwork for a retest. I'll have to see when I go back

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Interesting. He did have paperwork in the glove box that showed smog check paperwork for a retest. I'll have to see when I go back
It was tested the same day so I don't know if he just had to remove a DSP 5 switch or if it was something else like a non compliant Cold air kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.